Achilles tendon pain. Is there anything I can do.

Long story short, been getting back on my workout/bball grind and been going pretty well. Starting to lose some of the extra pounds and the skills are coming back. Started playing ball at my local YMCA league and since my team was always shorthanded, I had to play the whole 40 minutes of the fullcourt games. Started feeling pain after my last game on wednesday and thought it was an ankle sprain. Kept trying to get by but the pain became unbearable. Basically had to sit out all weekend worth of games and activities. I got a big game coming up this Saturday. Is their anything I can do besides rest to treat it. Is there anything I can wear that can help. I tried ankle braces to no avail.

Cliffs:
-Messed up Achilies Tendon
- Thought was ankle sprain
- wondering how I could fix it so I can play in 4 days.

9e325ca4e2ada38c5df69ecd3e96a15f9e789c6.jpeg

google/youtube foam roller or lacrosse ball massaging. When I hurt my achilles a buddy of mine showed me how to help alleviate the stress on the tendon by stretching and massaging my calves with a lacrosse ball. Then followed by ice baths. It worked wonders for me, but I'm sure other people here can describe a better regimen.

I partially tore mine last October. It was higher up my leg, right below my calf line. Painful to say the least, felt like I got a dead leg when it happened. Since I heard no "pop" I was trying to get back into the game but just could not.

Prior to this game on a Sunday, I shot around a bit on that Saturday. My legs were "achey" but I just thought nothing of it. I now wonder if I should have taken that pain a bit more seriously.

All I can say to you is, be careful, don't over do it because a tear (full or partial) will have you useless for a few months, minmum. I had a cast and all that junk. Sucked.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I partially tore mine last October. It was higher up my leg, right below my calf line. Painful to say the least, felt like I got a dead leg when it happened. Since I heard no "pop" I was trying to get back into the game but just could not.

Prior to this game on a Sunday, I shot around a bit on that Saturday. My legs were "achey" but I just thought nothing of it. I now wonder if I should have taken that pain a bit more seriously.

All I can say to you is, be careful, don't over do it because a tear (full or partial) will have you useless for a few months, minmum. I had a cast and all that junk. Sucked.

This was the first thing said to me as well. Achilles injuries are no joke as in it can start out achy, stiff and such. But can escalate into something much worse fast.

Ice and some NSAIDs. To be on the safe side, I'd get it checked out to make sure it's not damaged. If it's not serious, use a foam roller to loosen up the fascia and the tendon. Also make sure you get into a static stretching routine after you hoop or workout. Some dynamic stretching during your warm-ups will help also.

This is a good static stretch that I do for my achilles/ankle/calf.

Find a stair or a ledge, stand on it with just your forefoot, so your heels hang off, ala calf raise position.

With legs straight, drop your heels below the step until you feel the stretch, Hold for 5 seconds.

Lift them up, and then bend your knees and drop the heels again, far enough until you feel the stretch. You won't be able to drop your heels as far with bent knees. Hold for 5 more

Keep alternating bent and straight knee heel drops. 10 of each?

Could be achilles tendonitis. I got it in my elbow it's whorible it's been about 8 months and I'm still learning how to maintain it.

Everyday
Heat it 10 min
Massage it 5 to 10 min
Stretch it - Do a few stretches 3 to 4 times and hold for 30 seconds
Ice it - 10 min
Continuously ice it throughout the day (at most every hour)

Before activity
Heat it 10 min
Stretch it - Do a few stretches 3 to 4 times and hold for 30 seconds
Put a brace if you have a simple compression sleeve is fine.
Play ball, then after
Ice it - 10 min
Continuously ice it throughout the day (at most every hour)

If it hurts again during or after DO NOT PLAY AGAIN. I kept pushing it and I'm months in already.
Continue the first routine until you feel better.
Caution you may feel completely fine during game but the next day you may have pain just monitor it.

Good luck brah

Sorry for the late reply but I have been without computer for about a week. Thanks for all the advice. I've been away from bball for 2 weeks but I have tryout tomorrow that I really want to do. Not sure tho.

Best thing to do is to do calf stretches, massages, ice and move your ankle up and down (do at least 30).  But either way you would need the rest from basketball or any other activities that would require explosiveness.  Last year, I completely ruptured my achilles tendon on April and had surgery. I did physical therapy for seven months although I could have stopped a few months earlier. Now I'm back in great shape. But I still get tightness on the tendon, and I stretch it out everyday. 

I got tendonitis in both my achilles. It is a little sore while playing ball, but after im done and rest for a couple minutes , i am essentially handicapped. It takes me like ten minutes to walk to my car, when it normally takes 3. Only thing that works for me is ice

Back
Top Bottom