ADIDAS BBall Boost Thread - BYW, Crazy Explosive & Crazy Light & OTHER BBALL ADJACENT SNEAKERS

Screenshot_20190811-091543.png
Screenshot_20190811-091605.png
Screenshot_20190811-091627.png
Screenshot_20190811-091810.png
Screenshot_20190811-091521.png

I dont like that, for the last couple years, adidas adheres so closely to a universal design language for almost all their ball shoes every year. I could see this year everything is gonna be dad shoe-like paneling. Last year everything had almost the same traction, they all had a simple design vibe, and a couple shoes had that lilliard side piece. In 2016 when they had their all killer-no filler lineup, the crazylight boost, the crazy explosive, the rose 7, and the harden 1 all had a different look and catered to different play styles. When all the shoes have a similiar vibe and performance aspects, I think it lowers the interest and distinctiveness of each shoe. But maybe thats just me.

Case in point:
F36561_01_standard.jpg
Pro_Bounce_Madness_2019_Shoes_Black_BB9239_01_standard.jpg
Marquee_Boost_Shoes_White_BB7822_01_standard.jpg
EF0855_01_standard.jpg

Pro_Adversary_Low_2019_Shoes_Black_CG7099_01_standard.jpg
Harden_Vol._3_Shoes_Black_BB7723_01_standard.jpg

Believe it or not, 4 and 5 are different shoes, the pro next and pro adversary(which has a mid that looks like the other mids). I have to leave out the tmac and the nxt lvl since they do have enough of their own look.

You forgot about these.
adidas-next-level-black-white-BB9194-0.jpg
I said "I have to leave out the tmac and the nxt lvl since they do have enough of their own look." It does have a side piece and the same traction, but it looks distinct from the others.

Although if you flipped it around on the medial side, with the 3 stripes, it has the same vibe.
1_2439ff48-c895-4ec5-97e8-3faff10af597_medium.jpg

I dont like that, for the last couple years, adidas adheres so closely to a universal design language for almost all their ball shoes every year. I could see this year everything is gonna be dad shoe-like paneling. Last year everything had almost the same traction, they all had a simple design vibe, and a couple shoes had that lilliard side piece. In 2016 when they had their all killer-no filler lineup, the crazylight boost, the crazy explosive, the rose 7, and the harden 1 all had a different look and catered to different play styles. When all the shoes have a similiar vibe and performance aspects, I think it lowers the interest and distinctiveness of each shoe. But maybe thats just me.

Case in point:
F36561_01_standard.jpg
Pro_Bounce_Madness_2019_Shoes_Black_BB9239_01_standard.jpg
Marquee_Boost_Shoes_White_BB7822_01_standard.jpg
EF0855_01_standard.jpg

Pro_Adversary_Low_2019_Shoes_Black_CG7099_01_standard.jpg
Harden_Vol._3_Shoes_Black_BB7723_01_standard.jpg

Believe it or not, 4 and 5 are different shoes, the pro next and pro adversary(which has a mid that looks like the other mids). I have to leave out the tmac and the nxt lvl since they do have enough of their own look.
I'd say pic 2 is a mashup between Marquee Highs and NXT LVLs.

It's not uncommon at all, every brand makes takedown models of their highest tier shoes. But yeah, I get your point.

I'd say pic 2 is a mashup between Marquee Highs and NXT LVLs.

It's not uncommon at all, every brand makes takedown models of their highest tier shoes. But yeah, I get your point.
Whats different here is that most of there basketball lineup is very similiar, not just a few takedown models. Also nikes takedowns are usually different enough from the sigs that they dont seem too similiar to them, like no one would think the witness is too much like the lebron 16.

Last edited:
Whats different here is that most of there basketball lineup is very similiar, not just a few takedown models. Also nikes takedowns are usually different enough from the sigs that they dont seem too similiar to them, like no one would think the witness is too much like the lebron 16.
Fair point. To play devil's advocate, the adidas takedown designs are very un-original/lack innovation but I think it's because the basketball design team is probably a lot smaller than Nike's basketball design team.

Fair point. To play devil's advocate, the adidas takedown designs are very un-original/lack innovation but I think it's because the basketball design team is probably a lot smaller than Nike's basketball design team.
Adidas is the 2nd biggest sneaker company in the world, they have enough designers and could hire plenty more if need be. They dont have to make all the shoes look the same. It was an intentional decision from the start of planning for the shoes for the season. Smaller companies like anta and brandblack are able to make most of their shoes look distinct.

Last edited:
Question to those who play in Boost and other brands, do your legs/body ache more when switching from Boost to let's say some Kobe's or Nike shoes? Tried playing in the Kobe VII, I know lunarlon isn't the best but Jesus after 30 mins I was dead lol, maybe I need to get used to playing in Nikes again...

Question to those who play in Boost and other brands, do your legs/body ache more when switching from Boost to let's say some Kobe's or Nike shoes? Tried playing in the Kobe VII, I know lunarlon isn't the best but Jesus after 30 mins I was dead lol, maybe I need to get used to playing in Nikes again...
My knees get some pain after 2-3+ hours of fullcourt play in anything but boost and plush zoom setups like the lebron 16. Not all boost ball shoes have great impact protection, though. Harden 1s and crazylight boosts are more firm than other boost setups, so they dont absorb impact as well as others. To me, the 3 newest boost shoes, the marquees, tmacs, and harden 3s, are the best boost setups theyve ever done since the strobel boards are softer. If I play in something with normal or crappy cushion(I got some hyperdunk 2017s im still trying to kill), its gotta be half court or 21 or something.

If I don't play on Boost or full length zoom my knees and feet complain.

Just got a pair of Harden 1s for $ 40... They'll tide me up until I'll have to choose between BYW X 2 and Marquee Boost v2.

Behind the Design and Cultural Impact of adidas' Streetball Line
With the relaunch of the Streetball, we spoke to adidas about the sneaker’s rich history and updated design.
By Robert Marshall · 1 day ago in Footwear

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2019%2F08%2Fadidas-originals-streetball-2019-history-behind-the-design-interviews-1.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2019%2F08%2Fadidas-originals-streetball-2019-history-behind-the-design-interviews-15.jpg

This past Saturday, August 10, adidashosted the Streetball Challenge — a three-on-three basketball tournament at New York City’s Brooklyn Bridge Park, pitting the most notable names in sneakers, sports and fashion — including Concepts, Extra Butter and Slam — against one another for both cash prizes and bragging rights. With Rucker Park’s world famous MC, Hannibal, electrifyingly calling two half-court games simultaneously, adidas chose the mecca of street hoops to not only pay homage to the game, but to revive its cult-favorite outdoor basketball sneaker, the aptly-named Streetball.

“We wanted to create a collection which celebrated the grassroots side of basketball, away from the gloss of the NBA,” adidas Senior Designer Pradeepan Indrakumar tells HYPEBEAST in an exclusive interview. “Like the game being played in the real world, becoming a meeting point for neighborhoods and bringing people together in its rawest form.”

*More to the story via link*
https://hypebeast.com/2019/8/adidas...ind-the-design-interviews-basketball-sneakers

Yeah I notice more knee fatigue when I switch off from my Boost sneakers. Waiting for those Harden 3s to go on discount now.

I used to get knee aches before I moved to Boost, Curry 2s were great but just lacked the impact protection my old man knees need. Would love to try something like the KD12s though, but am keeping away from anything that doesn't have forefoot and heel cushion.

Back
Top Bottom