ADIDAS x Donald Glover Collaboration

The Guava Island star and Three Stripes made their partnership official all the way back in September, with a video announcement in which cartoon Glover, similar to the one seen in the opening credits of his recent movie with Rihanna, stomps around his rapper-filled neighborhood until he gets home and opens up a new adidas box. Eight months later—April 26th, specifically—we finally have the chance to buy cartoon Glover’s drip.

Glover and Adidas aren’t just kicking off their collaboration with a single shoe. Right off the crack of the bat, three shoes are coming out: versions of the existing adidas models Nizza ($80), Continental 80s ($100), and Lacombe ($90). All three low-top sneakers share a fraying, deconstructed look, like the shoes went through hell and were then patched up with fabric that’s almost right. The shoes are meant to have a worn look straight out of the box. “With a focus on the personal narrative that worn-in sneakers can hold, and the wealth of experiences they bear, the collection is inspired by subtle imperfections,” the press release reads. Released alongside the shoes are a series of short films with Mo’nique where Glover, fittingly, spills all sorts of things on his shoes. Just more evidence of life lived!

Befitting a zagging talent like Glover, the shoes hardly fit into any of 2019’s dominant sneaker trends. They’re not anonymous dad shoes, they’re not puffed-up with air, or made by an Instagram influencer. Glover x Adidas’s closest cousin might be pre-distressed Golden Goose sneakers—shoes that look like they’ve had their own interesting life experiences. “Rich is a concept,” Donald Glover says in the release. “With this project, I wanted to encourage people to think about how their stories can be told on their feet. Value isn’t quantified by what you wear, rather the experiences from them. And you make the decision on what works for you, you live through your own lens. The partnership for me is about being able to exemplify what doing your own thing truly looks and feels like."

Credit: https://www.gq.com/story/donald-glover-adidas-release by Cam Wolf
Credit: Adidas.com

upload_2019-4-26_16-29-32.jpeg

upload_2019-4-26_16-30-0.jpeg

upload_2019-4-26_16-30-20.jpeg

MSRP: Adidas Nizza DG: $80
Adidas Continental 80 DG $100
Adidas Lacombe DG: $90

4779DF79-1C2B-4D70-9089-A79FCA84EBEA.jpeg EB22A61E-76EF-41E3-86EB-5138D2BE9D30.jpeg EB1C37CA-3AC5-4441-BD38-9BFE7450D624.jpeg 92C281C1-D594-4F98-9CF2-A519AE235B42.jpeg 3FD35578-FFB9-4108-8777-D24C442C2EF7.jpeg

Couldn’t find a thread for Donald Glover’s newest collab which dropped today so figured I’d make one. My bro is one of his biggest fans but is traveling so woke up early to secure his pair here in NYC. Was told they didn’t have too much stock but no one seemed to be there when i showed up at 10:30.

Drake deal fell through so they went ruth Glover huh.

I'm very surprised Nike hasn't given drake a sig shoe.

Did these drop at all?? There seems to be little interest but also no stock anywhere, even on the resell market.

picked up a pair for my friend on Friday - they seemed to sell out fast. I was told by the Santa Monica Adidas store that they were only being sold at Adidas Originals locations so that could explain the low stock?

upload_2019-5-1_0-4-54.jpeg

In case anyone wanted to know what the deal is with the Moth logo it refers to an anecdote told in his short “Chicken and Futility”.

“I saw this moth in my room and it was going towards the light bulb and it was buzzing around it and I wanted to know why they did that, so I looked it up. It’s because moths are looking for the moon. They’re looking for moonlight because they’re trying to fly North. So this moth, everything in it’s telling it to do exactly what it’s doing. It’s doing the right thing, but it’s just the wrong light. It’s doing exactly what it’s supposed to do but it’s the wrong light. So it just kinda bummed me out, it just seemed so futile.”

Last edited:
Very interested but very little chatter or places to buy. I missed the ADC drop so I guess it’s secondary market for me if I want them. Idk if I want them at that price though...

Back
Top Bottom