ADVICE: 38 YEARS OLD W/ J 'S........

Well I am 38 also and I have been collecting since 1996 I have over 250 pairs of J's. After the 11/12 CDP I said I was going to slow down which I have. Thereason is my kid is a senior in high school and about to start college so I must focus my money elsewhere. So go for it while your kids are young and havefun.
happy.gif

Originally Posted by ItsaBayThang

I just turned 22, I think you should keep the ones you cant live without and sell the rest if you wanna make some money. Thats what I did and now Im down to about 45 pairs, a lot of which are doubles. I dont think Im ever going to sell every shoe in my collection but one day, Im obviously going to stop coppin. No age is ever too old my dude. Just my 2 cents.

word same here

Man don't let yourself believe you should stop having/buying sneakers because your 38 if you were gonna stop and some point you should've never starteddon't let society's norm make you think you gotta let it go. I bet when you were younger people said you were crazy for having all of these sneakersand you just hit them you gotta be! smiled and looked at your kicks. and if you haven't sorry to hear that because i always do. I'm 19 but been doingthis since i was 13 so I'm not like most of these new NT'ers that get overly excited over spiz'ikes and dubzeros. BE selective from now on but keepwhat you got.

I guess we all shouldn't be too surprised there so many 30 +ers in here.. I mean most of US were the ones to see MJ at his prime... Many in here only sawMJ as a Wizard OR worse...Not at all..

If it weren't for us and many others keepin their kids in Jordans from our Era.. the Legacy might not live on....

I'll be 30 this year. I'm married with a wife and a 2 year old. In my young age I have a job, family, and meaningful activities that keep me fromeven looking at my shoes. Instead of letting them rot away in my closet, I decided to give younger collectors a chance to enjoy them and make a hefty returnon my investment. Making $400 for a $100 pair of sneakers that I kicked around in during my college years is a hard to pass up when you could tuck that intosomething useful like savings, college fund, or paying off debt. Every collector is attached to their sneakers, but in the end they are just shoes. Insteadof collecting , I'm buying shoes for the little one instead. Trust me, it's an even better feeling
seeing your little one light up when they get a new pair of shoes.

My advise, get the cash out of your collection before they crumble into useless pieces of rubber.

I guess priorities are just that..
At 35 years old I just can't quit this hobby. It will never end because you will get sucked back in eventually. There are certain kicks that i can sell butthen there are some that hold special meaning. If I go to take tagged pics to put on ebay or NT..i just cant bare to take them out the box. With every snappedpicture I get emotional. Embrace it, but if you need the monetary payoff to fullfill committments, don't be stupid. You will always have your memories.

Originally Posted by RockDeep

I guess we all shouldn't be too surprised there so many 30 +ers in here.. I mean most of US were the ones to see MJ at his prime... Many in here only saw MJ as a Wizard OR worse...Not at all..

If it weren't for us and many others keepin their kids in Jordans from our Era.. the Legacy might not live on....

Amen, I've been wearing them for 24 years and I'm not going to stop now. If anybody deserves to wear them it's us, any young cats say anything tome I'll just tell them to stick to their Kobe's and Lebron's and leave the G.O.A.T.'s to someone who actually experienced first hand.
laugh.gif

Too bad the brand is headed for Wal-mart shelves.
smh.gif

33 here. I have gone from collecting only J's to expanding my horizons. The watering down of the Jordan brand didn't stop me from collecting shoes, itjust caused me to open my eyes and appreciate other shoe lines.

I have sold off all my Js, roughly 200, except for my personal favorites- VI Black Lows, IX Navy Lows, XVII Lightning Lows, RJ Bolo, Jordan Enhancer, StealthXX3 and Motorsport XX3. All of which I wear.

In the past two years, I have started to collect Air Max 95s (12 pair) , Kobes (7 pair) and Foamposites (4 pair). Collecting meaning stockpile for future use,since I intend to wear them.

I do resell on the side to help fund my shoe habit. Nothing major, but if I can flip a few shoes a month and make $300 profit, that is a potential 2-3 pairs Ican buy for my own personal consumption.

My golden rule is to ONLY use money I make from reselling shoes to buy shoes in my collection. It has not always been like this, but I had to create some kindof self-imposed limit.

The fact is, I could EASILY drop 10k on shoes and still want more. I'll always love shoes. I just deal with this love differently in my advanced years.

just budget if you wanna continue. sell if you want but just remember...youll have regrets unless you dont care about them anymore.

Originally Posted by AIRCARTMAN

33 here. I have gone from collecting only J's to expanding my horizons. The watering down of the Jordan brand didn't stop me from collecting shoes, it just caused me to open my eyes and appreciate other shoe lines.

I have sold off all my Js, roughly 200, except for my personal favorites- VI Black Lows, IX Navy Lows, XVII Lightning Lows, RJ Bolo, Jordan Enhancer, Stealth XX3 and Motorsport XX3. All of which I wear.

In the past two years, I have started to collect Air Max 95s (12 pair) , Kobes (7 pair) and Foamposites (4 pair). Collecting meaning stockpile for future use, since I intend to wear them.

I do resell on the side to help fund my shoe habit. Nothing major, but if I can flip a few shoes a month and make $300 profit, that is a potential 2-3 pairs I can buy for my own personal consumption.

My golden rule is to ONLY use money I make from reselling shoes to buy shoes in my collection. It has not always been like this, but I had to create some kind of self-imposed limit.

The fact is, I could EASILY drop 10k on shoes and still want more. I'll always love shoes. I just deal with this love differently in my advanced years.

YEAH...THAT IS WHAT I DO, I SELL SOME KICKS THAT I DON'T REALLY WEAR AND THE PROFIT I BUY FOR THE NEW ONES COMING OUT, BUT THERE COMES A POINT THAT YOU RANOUT OF YOUR KICKS TO SELL COZ' EVERY SHOE REMAINING HAS MORE VALUE TO YOU. I WOULD NOT HAVE 2 CDP 11/12'S IF I DID NOT SELL 4-5 PAIRS OF KICKS....

Originally Posted by KB8virginia

33 here. I have gone from collecting only J's to expanding my horizons. The watering down of the Jordan brand didn't stop me from collecting shoes, it just caused me to open my eyes and appreciate other shoe lines.

I have sold off all my Js, roughly 200, except for my personal favorites- VI Black Lows, IX Navy Lows, XVII Lightning Lows, RJ Bolo, Jordan Enhancer, Stealth XX3 and Motorsport XX3. All of which I wear.

In the past two years, I have started to collect Air Max 95s (12 pair) , Kobes (7 pair) and Foamposites (4 pair). Collecting meaning stockpile for future use, since I intend to wear them.

I do resell on the side to help fund my shoe habit. Nothing major, but if I can flip a few shoes a month and make $300 profit, that is a potential 2-3 pairs I can buy for my own personal consumption.

My golden rule is to ONLY use money I make from reselling shoes to buy shoes in my collection. It has not always been like this, but I had to create some kind of self-imposed limit.

YEAH...THAT IS WHAT I DO, I SELL SOME KICKS THAT I DON'T REALLY WEAR AND THE PROFIT I BUY FOR THE NEW ONES COMING OUT, BUT THERE COMES A POINT THAT YOU RAN OUT OF YOUR KICKS TO SELL COZ' EVERY SHOE REMAINING HAS MORE VALUE TO YOU. I WOULD NOT HAVE 2 CDP 11/12'S IF I DID NOT SELL 4-5 PAIRS OF KICKS....
That is very true. But if you can make a few bucks selling new releases, it helps. Even if you only make $20-$30 profit a pair, it adds up.

For example, I was able to buy my own pairs of Kobe IV Del Sols by buying and selling a few pair of Carpe Diem I purchased with a 20% off Eastbay giftcard (Tothose that can, I HIGHLY recommend buying as much as you can afford when they have the Giftcard sale. 20% off giftcards combined with other Eastbay salesequals profit). Cost was $92 and resold for $170. I used that profit to buy my Kobes.

Younger folks are so much closer to the shoe game and the whole sneaker culture than I was as a kid. It is both good and bad- Jordan shoes were almost mythicalwhen they released back in the day. The leather unicorn if you will..... those days are gone.

Great point.
I've returned to my first loves, Converse and Adidas over the past two years. I have roughly 5 pairs total that which are more than enough for a healthyrotation. Because of my career, the majority of my purchases are high quality dress shoes which can be repaired down the road for decades of use.

I was thinking about selling my collection which is about 50 deep.. it's hard to let them go... don't sell if you think you gonna regret it later on.

that's a tough one man. I say just keep the rare stuff and let go of the kicks you can find anywhere. but easier said then done I guess

its your own passion.. age dont mean anything.. if u need the money they yea no brainer sell them. if you financially stable and still love seeing yourcollection then keep them.

im 21 and thinking bout the same thing, no family or anything like that but im a full time student and work part time...ill always buy shoes but ive sloweddown a lot...my suggestion is buy shoes but like what was earlier stated be selective..for example if u know that 3 pairs of thirteens are coming out buy onepair not all three...i wouldnt sell anything but if u do ill buy lol

Stop when you want who cares about other people.I can't wait to be an old man rocking J's
happy.gif

i don't think there is an age where you should stop or an age where you say i'm getting too old for this. i just think that if you have passion or lovefor collecting sneakers then don't ever stop, it just boils down to prioritizing what you need down the line specially with your family.

That's why I came up with Shoe Affliction. Every time you think of calling it quits you get drawn back into it. The craving and desire is too much to everstop. I say like what many have said, you have to be more selective and pick only certain ones you really like. Man I'm 35 and going stronger than ever.Just to let it affect your relationships, yeah right!
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom