Advice needed-Best Camera <$300

I'm studying abroad in the spring and I'm looking to purchase a camera. I would like to spend less than $300 on it and I honestly have no preferences on size or anything just as long as it can take nice pictures and is reliable. I can spend outside of $300 but I would just prefer to spend under it. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Not sure how low the Canon S100 is nowadays but it should be in that range. I highly recommend it.

Actually all Canon S lines should be good whether it be the S90, S95, or the S100. Check Craigslist too if you aren't scared to buy one used cause they could go for even cheaper. The only thing is the battery life is really bad, so you might need a second.

Also any new Canon Powershots are good if you don't want to go the S100 route. If you don't shoot manual or RAW, there might not even be a reason to get it.

This is lower then $300 and has all the bells and whistles minus the wifi:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...tal-elph-cameras/powershot-elph-520-hs-silver

23551_1_l.jpg

And this is new and kind of neat. Pretty much an alternate camera to upload and share pic on your phone to Instagram or whatever:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...ot-n-series-digital-cameras/powershot-n-white

32296_1_l.jpg

Thanks everyone, checking out all of these cameras and trying to figure out what I really want/need. Repped!

I have a Canon S95 and absolutely love it (after trying many cameras). I know the S100 changed the sensor and haven't tried it yet, but if it even stands up to the quality of its predecessors, then go with that or whatever the current model is S105 etc.

you won't regret it!

Plus the S series will fit in your pocket. The G series is going to require you to carry it. And a DSLR are too bulky for general use.

Last edited:
^ ^ ^
I love the S95 too, I still think it is the best P&S camera when I got it, there might be better options now (especially for the price when it first came out) but it is hard to beat.

I also have a G10 and it is just one step below a DSLR (size is pretty close too) so I really would just buy a DSLR for a few more hundreds. Best suggestion is a Compact System Camera with interchangeable lenses instead of going the Canon G route.

Thanks for the help everyone! Repped! Leaning towards the S100 as of now!

^ ^ ^
I love the S95 too, I still think it is the best P&S camera when I got it, there might be better options now (especially for the price when it first came out) but it is hard to beat.

I also have a G10 and it is just one step below a DSLR (size is pretty close too) so I really would just buy a DSLR for a few more hundreds. Best suggestion is a Compact System Camera with interchangeable lenses instead of going the Canon G route.

Could you make a recommendation on a good option with a Compact System Camera? I just read up on it and it seems pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom