Advice on renting and/or becoming a roommate?

Discussion in 'General' started by balloonoboy, Dec 16, 2009.

1. balloonoboy

balloonoboy Banned

I think it's time (way past due) for me to move out of my folks house and find a place that I can rent or room with someone else.

What should I know before taking that step? How much money should be allotted per month? What's protecting me against any lawsuits? Anything you can thinkof let me know.

I've lived with roommates while I was going to school, so I have a good grasp on the anatomy of rooming with others. I leased through school, so thismonthly (biweekly, what have you) rent is going to take some time to get used to.

How old were you when you moved out?

Why do you think I shouldn't move out?

2. balloonoboy

balloonoboy Banned

bump

3. jbeezie

jbeezie

My only advice...be on time.

4. chitownrivera07

chitownrivera07

Renters Insurance........

5. big j 33

big j 33

Well depending on your place, you'll have to pay water, electricity, gas, sewage, etc. So factor all of that in plus your monthly rent, not to mentionfood, cable, internet.

Most places will come with something provided, but if not you'll have to consider that with your monthly cost. Do your research online withapartment reviews, visit the place and check it out, come back later without the managers with you and then ask some residents what they think about theirplace. Managers and employees will lie through their teeth to get you to sign a lease.

I moved out of the dorms after Freshman year of college into an apartment, and me and my friends didn't do enough research and our place wasn't asgreat as we expected. A lot of time it's a guessing game and you just have to hope for the best. My second apartment was better because I did moreresearch than before.

Also look into renter's insurance because it's better to be safe than sorry, especially if you live in an unsafe area.

6. Fong$tarr

Fong$tarr

I had a roommate and I hated it. I know economy sucks but if you can, just move out on your own. But my advice, just split everything down the middle unlesssomeone has a better room or whatever. Also make sure to get locks for rooms so none of your stuff will get jacked. The common area should be the kitchenand/or living room so expect to get some of your stuff invaded on whether you like it or not. I think it is also good to keep a good relationship with yourroommate but not to the point where you do everything with that person. I have had a strong love and hate relationship with my last roommate and it was mostlyhate that I really remember. Yes get renters insurance and make sure to have stuff in writing like a contract or whatever just in case things get sour in thelong run.

7. importking

importking

22 when i moved out

moved back into my mothers house after a huge problem & altercation which made me more focus to move out again, saved bread.

now i live off again, by myself. few more months, im going to move into a bigger place, i need to find a roommate ....%@+% is getting expensive.

seems that i work so hard just to live, smh @ me working 60 hrs a week.

8. jd161616

jd161616

I don't know if this will help but this is just my breakdown:

Graduated, did whatever til I got a job. Got my job and worked for three months commuting from home. Saved 6 paychecks or so.

Moved to Manhattan after those three months ( I was 23). Moved in with two other friends (I feel like the more people you live with, generally the cheaper therent is...for me at least) Down payment on my rental place was two months rent up front/no broker fee. Pay on time...although I get up until the 8th of themonth with no penalty. Then you factor in monthly payments for electric (not all that much $$), cable/internet (cheaper w/ the more people you live with). Mostapartments I've looked at include water and heat.

Honestly the biggest expense for me (aside from rent), personally has been food & drinks. Definitely what adds up the most when living in a city.

I personally recommend starting off living with roommates. I had two, now I have one. Split rental fees by the size of your rooms (unless they're all thesame), and split all general costs evenly.

Also, make sure to read your contract and know what youre getting yourself in to. I had a guy try to pull a fast one signing me up for an 18 month leaseinstead of a 12 month, but I caught it while reading the contract.

***and negotiate. With the climate of the economy, MANY brokers & landlords are just trying to get these apartments leased because there are a lot that aresitting there empty. We negotiated 450 dollars off the total rent if we re-signed our lease for a second year.

9. nawth21

nawth21

If you can avoid roommates, do it. There is nothing stopping them from screwing you over and if you rely on their income to make ends meet (rent and utilities)you can potentially screw yourself.

10. jd161616

jd161616

11. octobersfinest

octobersfinest

Truer words have never been spoken. I had a roommate that, I came to find out, was a compulsive liar and a dirty dirty person. He did laundry about one timein the 6 months I lived with dude. Always had to hound him for the bills and he would always say "why you hounding me" when he owed me $ from like 3weeks ago! Then dude's parents came to live there, without him warning me, for like 2 months. When I moved out (without even warning him) I found a bunchof my silverware and clothes in his room!! Live by yourself, trust me.

12. trapmuzik617

trapmuzik617

I moved out this year. got 2 roommates and one's brother is staying...

SO if u can live alone, do it. One of my roommates is cool... i lived wit him last spring too. The other 2 are dirty as hell

But we all signed our own leases so its not as bad

13. nawth21

nawth21

My friends roomie was a compulsive liar and a meth head and when she finally moved out my friend couldnt move into her room (the bigger room) because it stunkso bad of like cat piss. Thing is she didn't even have a cat [​IMG]

14. balloonoboy

balloonoboy Banned

I'll def keep that no roommate thing in mind.

From my experience living with roommates, they can definitely be dirty as hell but they can also be very reasonable and reliable. I hope I find the latter if Ichoose to go down that route.

Right now, I'm just chomping at the bit to get the hell up out of here.

15. kingkb34

kingkb34

So true, lived with someone the last 2 years and I hated it. Living by myself this year and won't ever goback.

16. renarene

renarene

no roomates. you get to walk around in ya skibbies whenever u feel like it. no lazy @#%^ messing up their portion of the bills. no fat face nibbling out ofyour potato chips. high noon fap 'n smash. in the kitchen. or wherever you feel like it. i normally don't type like this. but im in a weird mood today.and guess what. i get to go home to no roomate asking annoying questions. or stinking up the couch. so there you go. have a nice day.