Aesop Rock appreciation Thread. Vol 1.why arent you listening yet

Aesop Rock = most slept on/ unheard of MCs easily. *waits for people to mock me*

I respect Aesop so much because he hasnt dumbed down his music over the millions of years it seems like he's been spitting.
when you can make a song like "None Shall Pass" & people listen to it and can come out of it with very different meanings it shows how deadly of a lyricist he is.

Breakdown of a few lines from this song (as interpreted by fellow listeners)

(First Meaning opinion )
The first verse refers to mainstream rap.

"Flash that buttery gold, jittery zeitgeist wither by the watering hole, what a patrol, what are we to heart huckabee art @@@@+*$ suddenly? Not enough young in his lung for the waterwings?"
Not 100% sure on this, but I think this is describing the banality mainstream rap. The jittery zeitgeist withering refers to the same old attitude portrayed in alot of rap, and the whole "not enough youing in his lung for the waterwings?" implies that they keep reusing an old formula.

"Colorfully vulgar poacher outta mulch like "I'm 'a pull the pulse out a soldier and bolt".
The poacher is a gangsta who uses the same crap (mulch) in his lyrics, about killing getting away with it.

"Fine. Sign of the time we elapse when a primate climb up a spine and attach. Eye for an eye by the bog's life swamps and vines, they get a rise out of frogs and flies, so when a dog fight's hog-tied prize sorta costs a life, the mouths water on a fork and knife, and the allure isn't right."
The gangsta (primate), the hood (bog).
Since alot of violence is eye for an eye, this says that the gangs feed off of the violence (get a rise), and when one dies (prize sorta costs a life), they feed off it which is wrong (the allure isn't right)

"It's gore on a war torn beach where the cash cow's actually beef. Blood turns wine when it leak for police like that's not a riot it's a feast, let's eat."
The cash cow is the longevity of the gang and they feed off peoples (beef) suffering, so they feast.

^^^This goes on for about the whole song, but you get the gist.

(Same verse interpreted by another listener)
I see many political references in the first verse.

"Flash that buttery gold jittery zeitgeist, wither by the watering hole border patrol" to me, that is a reference to the so called "american dream", the way all the money is flashed around and then people from the poorer countries as a result look at america as the watering hole and try go there to make their fortunes ie. illegal immigrants.

The next line reinforces this, "what are we to heart huckabee art @@@@+*$ suddenly", wich is a reference to former Arkansaw governor Mike Huckabee, and his political view for his presidential campaign regarding immigration, wich was that they should be a 700-mile border fence built and, border patrol should be increased. This would of course result in many immigrants not being able to get over the border, and they would thus "wither by the watering hole".

Even the next line "not enough young in his lung for the waterwing", could be a reference to his former weight, I got this extract from wikipedia, "Huckabee has publicly recounted his previous burdens as an obese man: the steps of the Arkansas capitol from the entrance of the building up to the Governor's office were so long and steep that he would be out of breath and exhausted by the time he reached the top of the stairs; He secretly feared that he would be interviewed by media at the top of the steps, and that he would be too out of breath to respond",(a waterwing needs air to be blown up you see).

Then I feel the last part is a reference to the current war on iraq, "eye for an eye by the bog like swamps and vines", could be a reference to the fact that the war on iraq was allegedly started as payback for the 9/11 attacks (eye for an eye), "they get a rise out of frogs and flies", culd be a reference to an old game on the atari called "frogs and flies", where the player controls a frog sitting on a lilly and tries to eat as many flies as possible. The politicians could be the frogs and money could be the flies.

"so when a dog-fight's hog-tied prize sorta costs a life, their mouths water on a fork and knife", I feel these last lines reference what he perceives as the governments greed, basically the prize of this war is the oil, and the bush administration doesn't seem to care about the lives of the soldiers lost. (Huckabee supports the war on iraq btw), the lines "and the allure isn't right, no score on a war torn beach where the cash cow's actually beef", would support this, as the reason given behind the war, does not really seem to be true.

Thanks for bearing with me people. if you read, COOL.
If you didnt, oh well. I just think people should open their ears to him...

Most boring live rapper ever.

But I *!+%% with no regrets and none shall pass
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DenzelSausageton

Listen to Holy Smokes, Daylight, and Coffee. they should change your mind
hes just misunderstood haha

How would listening to a song in mp3 make me think someone is a better live performer? Shut up. You have Aids.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Originally Posted by DenzelSausageton

Listen to Holy Smokes, Daylight, and Coffee. they should change your mind
hes just misunderstood haha

How would listening to a song in mp3 make me think someone is a better live performer? Shut up. You have Aids.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Co-Sign on him being boring.

Back
Top Bottom