Aesthetic résumés? Vol. Yay or Nay?

Résumés are one of the most boring things to look at. Hell, I'm tired of looking at my own résumé.

Those of you who have had to shift through résumés, what's your opinion on more out of the norm résumés?

We all know what a basic one looks like
View media item 2436923
Then there's some that add a splash of color
View media item 2436927View media item 2436937

A little more color
View media item 2436931View media item 2436943View media item 2436953

Illustrator render files?
View media item 2436947View media item 2436948View media item 2436951

And full on completely different kind of résumé
View media item 2436950View media item 2436955View media item 2436956View media item 2436958

So what's your opinion?
View media item 2436933

I think it can help stand out.

Don't do too much though except if it's a creative / art type of job (where you should submit a portfolio anyway).

I submitted a "fancy" resumé like the ones on top for my MBA application and got accepted, so it works for sure :nerd: :lol:

I guess it depends what career you're going for. I'm an industrial design student, and my resume looks more like the last resumes. And ain't no way are basic resume templates are gonna be paid attention to by design employers. They wanna see your skills and or achievements outlined immediately because they're giving quick glances on most occasions.

Don't do too much though except if it's a creative / art type of job (where you should submit a portfolio anyway).

I submitted a "fancy" resumé like the ones on top for my MBA application and got accepted, so it works for sure :nerd: :lol:

I guess it depends what career you're going for. I'm an industrial design student, and my resume looks more like the last resumes. And ain't no way are basic resume templates are gonna be paid attention to by design employers. They wanna see your skills and or achievements outlined immediately because they're giving quick glances on most occasions.

Can you post your résumés? Feel free to change the words for privacy reasons.

Also, anyone and everyone else feel free to post yours as well.

Anyone here taken part in the hiring process and have had to sit through résumés?

Did you encounter any different ones? What was your reaction?

Last edited:
You're still going to be asked to type all that **** in on an online application anyway. But it looks nice.

For the people saying the HR ladies don't have the time to look at that fancy stuff, true. But most jobs have a platform that makes you enter all your work experience / education in addition to uploading your resumé. The old ladies won't even click your resumé if they can remove you with the info they see in the data base.

Now if they retain your application, they'll forward it to the managers, which will most likely print out the resumé. And then they'll have yours which stands out from the others. IMO that's a plus.

It won't magically get you a job if you're not qualified, but it can't hurt if you're not going over the top IMO.

Last edited:
Always had a nice "fancy" resume, work in healthcare, always got conplimented for it during every interview process. Got every job I've interviewed for, and I feel the resume definitely helps.

Last edited:
resumes looking like Facebook profiles? :lol: :smh:

what's your resumé looking like?

Work experience :
- couple of interview for nicekicks
- blocking the way to the bathroom
- almost made it on the most influential NTers complex list

Skillz :
- Able to live in a shoebox

Interest :
- Da hemi
- Da Jesus piece

Only seen the fancy ones with jobs that have some sort of art related field.
As far as other industries, keeping it simple is usually best.
Let your experience talk for you

:lol: I want to see Ninjahood's resume.

I could go the rest of my life without a resume, I got a union card :pimp:

Only seen the fancy ones with jobs that have some sort of art related field.
As far as other industries, keeping it simple is usually best.
Let your experience talk for you

Yep. It's industry specific. You can use your picture and colors if you work in a creative field.

If you work in academia or STEM, it won't do much.

My resume for my scientific side is just text. I even changed the font and size around to make it fit into two pages yet still readable since I move companies often.

If you really want to wow them, get your own domain name and host it. Put that on your resume and display your resume online with a video of yourself. Even if you don't get hired, you can view on the backend a la Google Analytics to see if they visit the website. This will make you stand out from 99.99 percent of the applicants.

For you young guys, you need to network. Your net worth is your network. A lot of you guys can't grasp this concept. The college degree by itself is worthless. A friend of mine was looking for an entry position in marketing. Applied for months and nada. I sent a couple texts to a friend who owns a production company and she got a position.

Soft skills are way more valuable than hard skills (aside from professions like medical and law where life is on the line).

Yep. It's industry specific. You can use your picture and colors if you work in a creative field.

If you work in academia or STEM, it won't do much.

My resume for my scientific side is just text. I even changed the font and size around to make it fit into two pages yet still readable since I move companies often.

If you really want to wow them, get your own domain name and host it. Put that on your resume and display your resume online with a video of yourself. Even if you don't get hired, you can view on the backend a la Google Analytics to see if they visit the website. This will make you stand out from 99.99 percent of the applicants.

For you young guys, you need to network. Your net worth is your network. A lot of you guys can't grasp this concept. The college degree by itself is worthless. A friend of mine was looking for an entry position in marketing. Applied for months and nada. I sent a couple texts to a friend who owns a production company and she got a position.

Soft skills are way more valuable than hard skills (aside from professions like medical and law where life is on the line).

FAX

There's definitely a happy medium. Some of those really fancy ones are silly - as you say unless you're applying for some sort of design position - but I wouldn't want to just submit a page of boring type. You want something clean and simple that is easily read but helps you stand out from the crowd a little.

Mine looks like this:

View media item 2437332

resumes looking like Facebook profiles?
laugh.gif
mean.gif
Resumes with autoplay music.
laugh.gif
sick.gif

Javascript backgrounds and ****.
laugh.gif

I keep it as simple as possible. Let the education and experience speak for itself.
laugh.gif
I want to see Ninjahood's resume.

I could go the rest of my life without a resume, I got a union card
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Kick your feet up, my man.

laugh.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom