African American English.

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Originally Posted by jumpmankb

This is true though.
Is it? Idiots and people who live in ghettos speak like that.. African American English? 
indifferent.gif

30t6p3b.gif
i wouldnt even generalize it like that... plenty of college educate ppl speak like that when they just shooting the breeze or in a chill setting...like some recognize they are speaking incorrectly but are just lazy...u gotta acknowledge them too
why u dont be hitting the club no mo... "Man I be tired bruh" "I dont een be trying be on da scene nomo"...responses dont me u are an idiot or from the "ghetto"

Originally Posted by Fig Neutonn

Originally Posted by I AM THAT DUDE

NOBODY would say, "he be tired" though. Even the paragraph above about how kids speak differently amongst their peers than when talking to adults, while true, uses a terrible example. What book is this?

I can properly display how that can and is used COMMONLY.

Sister: What be wrong with Uncle Sean?

Mom: Nothing, he be tired from work.
You didn't display anything? You typed more ignorance?
I know people use Ebonics, but you're providing extreme examples.
Who the hell would say "What be wrong with uncle Sean?"
I could understand if you said, "Nothing, he tired from work," but no one uses be like that. Stop it.
If your family speaks like that, you should correct them.
I correct my mom all the time, jokingly of course.
happy.gif

Originally Posted by Supermanblue79

grin.gif
StaXX wrote:

Examples: He finna go to work, what I gon do now, Oh no she didn't, etc

I hope this is a joke.
alien.gif

I've never heard anyone use these terms seriously.
laugh.gif
This can be life.
It's very common to hear this mess when I'm around family...still love them.

I understand Ebonics is prevalent amongst AA and adolescents.
But "What I gon do now?" I can't imagine someone actually saying that.
If I ever heard this, I'd think someone was practicing for a slave monologue.

Originally Posted by Ace Rawstein

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

Originally Posted by jumpmankb

This is true though.
Is it? Idiots and people who live in ghettos speak like that.. African American English? 
indifferent.gif

30t6p3b.gif
i wouldnt even generalize it like that... plenty of college educate ppl speak like that when they just shooting the breeze or in a chill setting...like some recognize they are speaking incorrectly but are just lazy...u gotta acknowledge them too
why u dont be hitting the club no mo... "Man I be tired bruh" "I dont een be trying be on da scene nomo"...responses dont me u are an idiot or from the "ghetto"
I took the photo OP posted at face value.. furthermore, even the "hood" dudes I know don't say "I be tired" @!#* sounds wild stupid... 
laugh.gif
 But w/e, I see your point. 
happy.gif

wish they'd stop calling this %%#@+*$% ebonics and AAVE. stop putting this foolishness on black ppl. its called slang and broken english and its not limited to a particular race.
the finna stuff is definitely a southern thing, IMO.

i've never said finna, fin to, fixing to, etc. in my life but i've heard ppl down south say these words.

Black vernacular is a part of the southern culture...and it doesn't just fit for blacks but also some whites speak in similar ways too. So if you’re from the south then its common knowledge to know that blacks have influenced the lexicon more so than any other race when it comes to speech in general.

If you’re within the culture and you were born and raised in the south, then you know there's a difference when it comes to how you would speak amongst those of the establishment and those who are considered your peers. For instance, "He be lying" is something that I say without hesitation. It's not correct in the sense of formality, but it gives you a sense of the culture and how it's just engrained in your way of speaking.

StaXX wrote:

NOBODY would say, "he be tired" though. Even the paragraph above about how kids speak differently amongst their peers than when talking to adults, while true, uses a terrible example. What book is this?

I could understand if you said, "Nothing, he tired from work," but no one uses be like that. Stop it.
happy.gif

grin.gif
StaXX wrote:

I hope this is a joke.
alien.gif

laugh.gif
This can be life.

I heard this at 2 out of the last 3 funerals that I've attended.
Gave me a little chuckle between the tears.

StaXX wrote:

happy.gif

grin.gif
StaXX wrote:

I hope this is a joke.
alien.gif

laugh.gif
This can be life.

I never denied that it is ignorant. Its completely ignorant, but only to the unknowing reader. Ebonics is apart of African American culture whether you like it or not. That is reality. Same way jamaican patois is broken english. If you think ebonics is bad, try figuring out a sentence in patois.

People say "What I gon do now" all the time. Its annoying as hell and very broken, however when I hear it, I know what they mean and I accept it. Accept the fact that ebonics is here to stay. I hear ebonics everyday in my community and to be honest there is nothing I will do about it.

The way these kids talk is just how many african americans talk. Axe him, Abalance, quitted, sandmitch, i aint got no money,

This is sort of a stream of conscious post so forgive me if some of lacks organization or anything:

Some of you seem shocked that there are people who look at AAVE as language with its own structure and rules.

I took an entire course dedicated to code-switching and the dynamics of AAVE language. As educators we are taught to never demean AAVE when teaching standard English. We do this via the contrastive analysis approach. Notice I said "standard English" as opposed to "proper" English. There's no such thing as proper english. There is formal and informal English. Just like when we dress up formerly for a wedding , and dress down when going to play bball or chill with out friends, we do the same with our language. I have a masters degree and am currently pursuing a second master's degree yet I always speak AAVE when with family and certain friends. Language is social currency and it changes as our discourse changes. No problem admitting all AA talk like this because some extent they do, but the bigger concern is if they know how to code-switch effectively.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Is Hawaiian pidgin a real language?
I'd consider it so, it has it's own rules and structure.
There are legitimate rules concerning grammar with different hybrid languages and the language lineage can be traced back. For example, AAVE has roots in West African languages (repetition of the noun subject with the pronoun is one of those roots). 

It all stems from how slaves spoke. That's why rural Southern whites and blacks both speak that way. The white children picked it up from "Mammy" while she watched them...and the effect still lingers today.

Take a linguistics course. It's fascinating @!*#.

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

It all stems from how slaves spoke. That's why rural Southern whites and blacks both speak that way. The white children picked it up from "Mammy" while she watched them...and the effect still lingers today.

Correct. And they used to refer too Mammy as "The Help" Matter fact there is a movie coming out about that.

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

I took advanced syntax and definitely did not learn anything fascinating like that
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Maybe I'll give linguistics another chance next semester.

Back
Top Bottom