African American English.

James Baldwin wrote an excellent essay on Black English back in 79:

If Black English Isn't a Language, Then Tell Me, What Is?[h5]By JAMES BALDWIN[/h5]
s.gif
t. Paul de Vence, France--The argument concerningthe use, or the status, or the reality, of black English is rooted in American history and has absolutely nothing to do with the question the argument supposes itself to be posing. The argument has nothing to do with language itself but with the role of language. Language, incontestably, reveals the speaker. Language, also, far more dubiously, is meant to define the other--and, in this case, the other is refusing to be defined by a language that has never been able to recognize him.

People evolve a language in order to describe and thus control their circumstances, or in order not to be submerged by a reality that they cannot articulate. (And, if they cannot articulate it, they are submerged.) A Frenchman living in Paris speaks a subtly and crucially different language from that of the man living in Marseilles; neither sounds very much like a man living in Quebec; and they would all have great difficulty in apprehending what the man from Guadeloupe, or Martinique, is saying, to say nothing of the man from Senegal--although the "common" language of all these areas is French. But each has paid, and is paying, a different price for this "common" language, in which, as it turns out, they are not saying, and cannot be saying, the same things: They each have very different realities to articulate, or control.

What joins all languages, and all men, is the necessity to confront life, in order, not inconceivably, to outwit death: The price for this is the acceptance, and achievement, of one's temporal identity. So that, for example, thought it is not taught in the schools (and this has the potential of becoming a political issue) the south of France still clings to its ancient and musical Proven

not sure how i feel about this. on one hand, a lotta black people talk like they're still in chains. on the other hand, it bothers me that its referred to as AFRICAN AMERICAN english.

i feel so set back....
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by sreggie101

not sure how i feel about this. on one hand, a lotta black people talk like they're still in chains. on the other hand, it bothers me that its referred to as AFRICAN AMERICAN english.

i feel so set back....
30t6p3b.gif

It could be because real Africans don't use ebonics. They either speak proper english or speak their own language or other dialects.

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Originally Posted by Fig Neutonn

Ebonics is the common term. I hear plenty of African Americans speak Ebonics. I can't however say the majority speak in such manner.

I do however think it is nice that its commonly understood better unmogust the african american community.

Examples: He finna go to work, what I gon do now, Oh no she didn't, etc

sick.gif

and your trying to act like your vernacular is outstanding, huh?
30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif

This Fig Neutonn cat is trying to argue with everyone on NT. First ninja, then staxx.
laugh.gif
 Keep doing you play boy!

Originally Posted by Snapple Apple

This is sort of a stream of conscious post so forgive me if some of lacks organization or anything:

Some of you seem shocked that there are people who look at AAVE as language with its own structure and rules.

I took an entire course dedicated to code-switching and the dynamics of AAVE language. As educators we are taught to never demean AAVE when teaching standard English. We do this via the contrastive analysis approach. Notice I said "standard English" as opposed to "proper" English. There's no such thing as proper english. There is formal and informal English. Just like when we dress up formerly for a wedding , and dress down when going to play bball or chill with out friends, we do the same with our language. I have a masters degree and am currently pursuing a second master's degree yet I always speak AAVE when with family and certain friends. Language is social currency and it changes as our discourse changes. No problem admitting all AA talk like this because some extent they do, but the bigger concern is if they know how to code-switch effectively.
People wanna deny it though
30t6p3b.gif

Ill openly admit I speak differently in different situations, Im not changing everything but you know damn well Im not having a presentation on market analysis and speaking the same way I do when Im tellin my boys about some bird I met that didnt know her worth the other day. It is what it is, yall are probably hitting some terms with the
sick.gif
because theyre used more in the south and youre up north. Down here people say stuff like finna all the time, its normal.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

i feel so set back....
30t6p3b.gif

It could be because real Africans don't use ebonics. They either speak proper english or speak their own language or other dialects.

what do mean real africans? 
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

Ebonics is the common term. I hear plenty of African Americans speak Ebonics. I can't however say the majority speak in such manner.

I do however think it is nice that its commonly understood better unmogust the african american community.

sick.gif

30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif

This Fig Neutonn cat is trying to argue with everyone on NT. First ninja, then staxx.
laugh.gif
 Keep doing you play boy!
LOL, its not that man, its just that I can't people thinking they are right that is here on NT so I feel the need to reply.

I wrote a paper on this for a class and how to use it to teach reading to black kids. Interesting stuff.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

I wrote a paper on this for a class and how to use it to teach reading to black kids. Interesting stuff.

Please pm your paper sounds interesting.

sick.gif

30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif

laugh.gif
 Keep doing you play boy!
LOL, its not that man, its just that I can't people thinking they are right that is here on NT so I feel the need to reply.

but your talking about proper English but cant spell  
alien.gif

roll.gif

laugh.gif
 Keep doing you play boy!

but your talking about proper English but cant spell  
alien.gif
This aint a spelling bee. You can clearly gather my messages in all my posts and that is the point.

grin.gif
StaXX wrote:

I can properly display how that can and is used COMMONLY.

Sister: What be wrong with Uncle Sean?

Mom: Nothing, he be tired from work.
You didn't display anything? You typed more ignorance?
I know people use Ebonics, but you're providing extreme examples.
Who the hell would say "What be wrong with uncle Sean?"
I could understand if you said, "Nothing, he tired from work," but no one uses be like that. Stop it.
If your family speaks like that, you should correct them.
I correct my mom all the time, jokingly of course.
happy.gif

Originally Posted by Supermanblue79

This can be life.
It's very common to hear this mess when I'm around family...still love them.

I understand Ebonics is prevalent amongst AA and adolescents.
But "What I gon do now?" I can't imagine someone actually saying that.
If I ever heard this, I'd think someone was practicing for a slave monologue.

I never denied that it is ignorant. Its completely ignorant, but only to the unknowing reader. Ebonics is apart of African American culture whether you like it or not. That is reality. Same way jamaican patois is broken english. If you think ebonics is bad, try figuring out a sentence in patois.

People say "What I gon do now" all the time. Its annoying as hell and very broken, however when I hear it, I know what they mean and I accept it. Accept the fact that ebonics is here to stay. I hear ebonics everyday in my community and to be honest there is nothing I will do about it.

I've already acknowledged that Ebonics is extensively used. There's no doubt about it.
But your examples are just exaggerated and beyond reason. Where do you live for people to habitually use "What I gon do now?"
I could accept "What I'm spose to do." I've heard that before, but I can't honor what you're saying.
If you hear this all the time, I'd suggest you raise your surrounding elements.

I'd be down to read it, if you don't mind. I've grown to really appreciate vernacular since my Harlem Renaissance class.

Learned a few new things in this threads
pimp.gif

Being in the South though this is second nature, I can understand how someone would label it "ignorant".

"lemme hollatchu real quick, doe."

"man... dat fool over theah trippin' folk"

"i ain' even tryna heah whatchu talkin bout, doe."

"yall finna drive all da way tuh houston? cuz gas high den uh bish"

"i tried tuh holla at huh but she was on some otha stuff, fam"

"my kinfoe say he finna go cop uh thowed !!$ buick tomorruh... thow some swangaz on dat bish... had dat %%* drippin' candy red. them yelluhs gonna be jockin'"

i can see where they get this from...

fluent in both FTW .

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

sick.gif

30t6p3b.gif
please don't tell me that was supposed to be amongst

Originally Posted by ricky409

"lemme hollatchu real quick, doe."

"man... dat fool over theah trippin' folk"

"i ain' even tryna heah whatchu talkin bout, doe."

"yall finna drive all da way tuh houston? cuz gas high den uh bish"

"i tried tuh holla at huh but she was on some otha stuff, fam"

"my kinfoe say he finna go cop uh thowed !!$ buick tomorruh... thow some swangaz on dat bish... had dat %%* drippin' candy red. them yelluhs gonna be jockin'"

i can see where they get this from...

fluent in both FTW .

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

not trying to thread jack, but if a person of Caucasian decent (white) was born in Africa...is that person entitled to say the n word?

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I'd be down to read it, if you don't mind. I've grown to really appreciate vernacular since my Harlem Renaissance class.

i think you or someone asked for it before when i mentioned it in a thread like this...i looked but cannot find where i saved it...i'll look again later today and try to find it

That is generalization if I ever saw it. It's hilarious but it's like saying Caucasian American English is speaking with a redneck state of mind or Texan accent.

Back
Top Bottom