African Descendants ✊🏿 Black People - Americas, Africa, Caribbean Culture Discussion

South Africa has the highest level of income inequality in the world.

Omg I'm so shocked :lol::ohwell:

Apartheid was like yesterday. Ironically the same economic anxiety plaguing white Americans are happening there with the increase in black leadership. The poor white population is growing.

BE4FD6A4-5EB0-4B5A-A5A4-C61F348C1CBE.jpeg

MLK at Garvey grave

Great article. Please read:
"A student who went by the name Chinedu told me afterward: “I’m a gay black man. I don’t agree with all that he says, but we have to meet at the table.”

Another man I spoke to was standing in the aisles yelling at the moderator: “I need this! I need this!” He told me that Johnson was the only man out there who spoke to men like him, that he’d been through some thangs that only Johnson could explain.
It was painful to watch, but in that moment it dawned on me why some part of me had clung to men like Johnson despite my knowing full well that they trafficked in papier-mâché Pan-Africanism. Umar Johnson was a way of clinging to my intellectual youth, when fighting white supremacy just meant giving provocative speeches, raising some money and drinking alkaline water."

"Join Brooklyn's finest, Yaya Bey & Friends, for a night of celebration this Juneteenth! Featuring a live performance by Yaya Bey and DJ sets by BOSTON CHERY & Run P."

234 Starr Street
Brooklyn, NY 11237

Date & Time:
Sat, June 19, 2021, 6:00 PM EDT
Doors at 6:00 PM

I can't attend due to not being in NY atm. But if you're in the city & want to go to this I'll buy you a ticket. If you have a s.o. I'll pay for both of your tickets. Consider it a Juneteenth gift from yours truly. Just lmk:

The Islamic State ransacked and demolished mosques, shrines, churches, libraries, and historical monuments across the Middle East and North Africa. There were a few heroes who stood against them. We wrote about one of them, Syria’s Khalid al-Assad, here. Here is another, librarian Abdel Kader Haidara, who rescued Timbuktu’s cultural treasures after the jihadist occupation of Mali in 2012.

According to the Wall Street Journal: “The prizes in Mr. Haidara’s own private collection, housed in his Mamma Haidara Commemorative Library, include a tiny, irregularly shaped Quran from the 12th century, written on parchment made from the dried skin of a fish and glittering with illuminated blue Arabic letters and droplets of gold. His collection also boasts many secular volumes: manuscripts about astronomy, poetry, mathematics, occult sciences and medicine, such as a 254-page volume on surgery and elixirs derived from birds, lizards and plants, written in Timbuktu in 1684.”

SECRET DINNER
At 3 pm on Dec. 26, 1798, Joseph Bunel went to a private home in Philadelphia for a secret dinner with Secretary of State Timothy Pickering and a few friends.

Bunel was a white, French-born merchant married to a free-black Creole. He supported the Haitian Revolution and became Louverture’s trade envoy. Over dinner, Bunel told Pickering and his guests that Louverture offered to protect U.S. shipping against privateers. In exchange, he wanted trade and diplomatic support.

Adams then got word of the offer and concluded he had to do something. Within six months, the United States and Saint-Domingue entered into a treaty that reopened trade.

But Adams did more than that. He had intelligence that the Dominguans had enough strength to win independence from France. So Adams supported Toussaint Louverture with economic aid, arms, munitions and the U.S. Navy.

Louverture then faced a mutiny from Andre Rigaud, his mixed-race rival who controlled the southern part of the island. In the spring of 1800, Adams sent five military vessels — the USS Constitution, USS Boston, USS Connecticut, USS General Greene and USS Norfolk — to Louverture’s aid. It was the U.S. Navy’s first military action on behalf of a foreign ally.

American commanders planned joint operations with their multiracial Dominguan counterparts. They guarded the southern coast and bombarded a port town held by Rigaud.

The Navy brass also did something unusual: placed U.S. ships and crews under Dominguan command. White U.S. Naval officers dined with black Dominguan officers, finding themselves in the racial minority.

Back
Top Bottom