African Descendants ✊🏿 Black People - Americas, Africa, Caribbean Culture Discussion

I could have told you this was a bad idea from the beginning. African countries are signing 100-year land leases to China. They're taking a little bit of money in exchange for their most valuable and desirable land.

Classic case of those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it

Not to go negative, but didn't they do him wrong with the contracts when he partnered? Heard he lost ownership!

US Ice officers 'used torture to make Africans sign own deportation orders'

Cameroonians say officers choked, beat and threatened to kill them, as lawyers tell of pre-election removal drive

US immigration officers allegedly tortured Cameroonian asylum seekers to force them to sign their own deportation orders, in what lawyers and activists describe as a brutal scramble to fly African migrants out of the country in the run-up to the elections.

Many of the Cameroonian migrants in a Mississippi detention centre refused to sign, fearing death at the hands of Cameroonian government forces responsible for widespread civilian killings, and because they had asylum hearings pending.

According to multiple accounts, detainees were threatened, choked, beaten, pepper-sprayed and threatened with more violence to make them sign. Several were put in handcuffs by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Ice) officers, and their fingerprints were taken forcibly in place of a signature on documents called stipulated orders of removal, by which the asylum seekers waive their rights to further immigration hearings and accept deportation.

Costco got pre packaged roti you heat up in the pan and it ain’t bad. Like I’m shocked lol.

A12ED2E1-4FCA-4F42-939F-CA032C7336F2.jpeg

This tweet sums up African politics in a nutshell. It's the only place in the world where the richest people in the entire country aren't to business owners or innovators... The richest people in the entire country are politicians who are stealing. This isn't to say that American and European politicians aren't corrupt and don't line their own pockets but at least it's a functional level of corruption that doesn't cripple the country (most of the time)

My older brother used to use this analogy: If you're building a bridge in America, you expect politicians to skim off the top, go through contractors who give them kickbacks, etc but at the end of the day you still have a functioning bridge.

In Africa, the politicians will literally steal every dime of funding and arrest you if you say anything about it.

It's frustrating because every election cycle, new candidates promise change and say "I'm different, I'm honest" but They always end up doing the same things.

This tweet sums up African politics in a nutshell. It's the only place in the world where the richest people in the entire country aren't to business owners or innovators... The richest people in the entire country are politicians who are stealing.
I'd slightly amend it.

The richest people become politicians, mostly to protect/grow their wealth. The powers that be are willing to use the state apparatus to put them down, so self-preservation requires them to cozy up to government officials (read: political contributions and other favors) to be left alone. The other thing is, becoming a political insider gives them an easier access to government contracts, which makes them richer, which entrenches them deeper in the state apparatus.

A lot of wealthy Africans are bonafide entrepreneurs. The propensity for open corruption and the weakness of the judicial branch in so many of these countries mean those businesspeople can't operate cleanly after they reach a certain level of success.

Still need to take a trip down there to SC. My homie used to invite me down there because it would trip me out how much Gullah Geechee sound Jamaican, just never made it for some reason.

The horrifying execution of Prince Klaas, the slave from Ghana who planned to make Antigua an African state

Back
Top Bottom