After seeing this, I wondered how many Atheists celebrate Christmas and why?

well to answer your question, i'm an atheist and i acknowledge the christmas holiday.  i wouldn't say i celebrate it all the way.
my family puts up decorations and gets a tree.  last time i helped decorate the tree for the first time in years.   i feel like a jerk when they put up all the decorations and i'm just sitting on the couch watching tv.

i do it because it's the time you get to spend with your family and people are usually in good moods.

i don't buy everyone presents anymore.  i'll get presents for my immediate family but that's it.

Xmas is about the gifts & sleeping
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
. @%%# a jesus christ 

well to answer your question, i'm an atheist and i acknowledge the christmas holiday.  i wouldn't say i celebrate it all the way.
my family puts up decorations and gets a tree.  last time i helped decorate the tree for the first time in years.   i feel like a jerk when they put up all the decorations and i'm just sitting on the couch watching tv.

i do it because it's the time you get to spend with your family and people are usually in good moods.

i don't buy everyone presents anymore.  i'll get presents for my immediate family but that's it.

From some of the responses I gather people would celebrate anything that was traditional and have to do with family get togethers?

From some of the responses I gather people would celebrate anything that was traditional and have to do with family get togethers?

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Christmas isn't a religious holiday 

Not just atheists/agnostics like myself.....I know muslims, jews, hindus etc that celebrate xmas.

the billboard is kinda od
roll.gif
This.

Christmas has become really commercialized to the extent that anyone with any religious beliefs other than Christianity can celebrate it in their own way and it means something different that is not even Christian related.

Not just atheists/agnostics like myself.....I know muslims, jews, hindus etc that celebrate xmas.

roll.gif
This.

Christmas has become really commercialized to the extent that anyone with any religious beliefs other than Christianity can celebrate it in their own way and it means something different that is not even Christian related.

Originally Posted by shogun

Thanks for sharing your personal beliefs. I thought maybe most people celebrate it for the same reason you do but wanted to know for sure.
I guess your answer leads me to another question...Why is it that people need a holiday to celebrate family togetherness? 

The question is not directed at you, just the line of reasoning.

Originally Posted by shogun

Thanks for sharing your personal beliefs. I thought maybe most people celebrate it for the same reason you do but wanted to know for sure.
I guess your answer leads me to another question...Why is it that people need a holiday to celebrate family togetherness? 

The question is not directed at you, just the line of reasoning.

I guess I could be considered agnostic. I celebrate Christmas because I was raised with a Christian background and even if I don't fully embrace Christian ideologies now it's something I've been doing for the past 28 years so why stop now? I enjoy the festivities.

Now if I were to randomly start celebrating a given holiday, such as Hanukkah that might be a bit odd.

I guess I could be considered agnostic. I celebrate Christmas because I was raised with a Christian background and even if I don't fully embrace Christian ideologies now it's something I've been doing for the past 28 years so why stop now? I enjoy the festivities.

Now if I were to randomly start celebrating a given holiday, such as Hanukkah that might be a bit odd.

Originally Posted by Fro B Giant

it's not just that.....this is clearly the biggest holiday in America, it isn't fair for non-religious people to be excluded from the festivities. For as long as I've remembered I've never done anything even remotely religious on xmas. And my family is fairly religious, we actually had a tradition of going to church on New Year's eve...that's till I discovered binge drinking
pimp.gif

it's not just that.....this is clearly the biggest holiday in America, it isn't fair for non-religious people to be excluded from the festivities. For as long as I've remembered I've never done anything even remotely religious on xmas. And my family is fairly religious, we actually had a tradition of going to church on New Year's eve...that's till I discovered binge drinking
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Thanks for sharing as well.
I can understand that line of reasoning, most people do just like you. I guess many don't care what is behind something they are celebrating and see it as simply an opportunity to be around happy people and have a good time.

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Thanks for sharing as well.
I can understand that line of reasoning, most people do just like you. I guess many don't care what is behind something they are celebrating and see it as simply an opportunity to be around happy people and have a good time.

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

roll.gif
This.

(only talkin about that part where anton says the billboard is od) it really annoys me when atheists always have some need to bash on everything religious.  you dont believe in god? fine.  doesnt mean you have to try and belittle everyone that does.  same goes for those over judgmental christians/muslims/jews/whatever.  everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, people need to learn to relax, let go, and just keep it movin
30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif
This.

(only talkin about that part where anton says the billboard is od) it really annoys me when atheists always have some need to bash on everything religious.  you dont believe in god? fine.  doesnt mean you have to try and belittle everyone that does.  same goes for those over judgmental christians/muslims/jews/whatever.  everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, people need to learn to relax, let go, and just keep it movin
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by superflyinchopstickninja

roll.gif
This.

it really annoys me when atheists always have some need to bash on everything religious.  you dont believe in god? fine.  doesnt mean you have to try and belittle everyone that does.  same goes for those over judgmental christians/muslims/jews/whatever.  everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, people need to learn to relax, let go, and just keep it movin
30t6p3b.gif
co-sign

roll.gif
This.

it really annoys me when atheists always have some need to bash on everything religious.  you dont believe in god? fine.  doesnt mean you have to try and belittle everyone that does.  same goes for those over judgmental christians/muslims/jews/whatever.  everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, people need to learn to relax, let go, and just keep it movin
30t6p3b.gif
co-sign

pimp.gif
I would think though that people who don't want to celebrate the holiday because of it's origin wouldn't consider it "unfair".
I do see the trend though, people celebrate it based on wanting to have a good time and kind of fall in line with it because they know their reasoning for celebrating is NOT religious.

I guess this leads me to this though...

I knew nothing about Blood Diamonds, that is until it was brought to my attention, after that it changed the way I viewed diamonds, it became a conscious thing to me. I haven't bought one since even though I liked diamonds before and would buy them on a regular basis. 

I wonder if people still buy conflict diamonds even though they know, simply because it was their tradition...

pimp.gif
I would think though that people who don't want to celebrate the holiday because of it's origin wouldn't consider it "unfair".
I do see the trend though, people celebrate it based on wanting to have a good time and kind of fall in line with it because they know their reasoning for celebrating is NOT religious.

I guess this leads me to this though...

I knew nothing about Blood Diamonds, that is until it was brought to my attention, after that it changed the way I viewed diamonds, it became a conscious thing to me. I haven't bought one since even though I liked diamonds before and would buy them on a regular basis. 

I wonder if people still buy conflict diamonds even though they know, simply because it was their tradition...

roll.gif
This.

30t6p3b.gif

yea i mean, I agree the billboard is kinda unnecessary but meh......they have a right to disseminate their views to the public as much as the religious do. Damn, I remember when it was cool to be non-religious.
laugh.gif

roll.gif
This.

30t6p3b.gif

yea i mean, I agree the billboard is kinda unnecessary but meh......they have a right to disseminate their views to the public as much as the religious do. Damn, I remember when it was cool to be non-religious.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by sneakaholic4life

roll.gif
This.

30t6p3b.gif
co-sign
I agree to a certain extent. I don't mind if someone feels they have something enlightening or thought provoking to share with me, even if it is not according to my beliefs. I guess I am a thinker so I like when someone has something interesting to share, however, I don't care for people trying to FORCE something on me. 
Everyone has a choice in belief, but How can you have a choice if you only do what you did as a child simply because your Mom or Dad taught you to??? Is that a choice? Someone would have to raise an alternate opinion for you to actually have to choose.

This is why I don't mind if people share with me their beliefs. 

It is empowering to know that you/I am actually making a conscious decision on life and what beliefs I will have.

Originally Posted by sneakaholic4life

roll.gif
This.

30t6p3b.gif
co-sign
I agree to a certain extent. I don't mind if someone feels they have something enlightening or thought provoking to share with me, even if it is not according to my beliefs. I guess I am a thinker so I like when someone has something interesting to share, however, I don't care for people trying to FORCE something on me. 
Everyone has a choice in belief, but How can you have a choice if you only do what you did as a child simply because your Mom or Dad taught you to??? Is that a choice? Someone would have to raise an alternate opinion for you to actually have to choose.

This is why I don't mind if people share with me their beliefs. 

It is empowering to know that you/I am actually making a conscious decision on life and what beliefs I will have.

Back
Top Bottom