After seeing this, I wondered how many Atheists celebrate Christmas and why?

Sorry, did I say something offensive? How did I even diss religious people or Christianity? Or was that just a general comment?

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

Sorry, did I say something offensive? How did I even diss religious people or Christianity? Or was that just a general comment?
Who are you addressing?

Who are you addressing?

Originally Posted by Fro B Giant

From some of the responses I gather people would celebrate anything that was traditional and have to do with family get togethers?

I guess your answer leads me to another question...Why is it that people need a holiday to celebrate family togetherness? 

I can only speak on my own behalf, but I can only tolerate family in small doses. Thanksgiving and Christmas is more than enough for 363 other days I don't embrace them.

From some of the responses I gather people would celebrate anything that was traditional and have to do with family get togethers?

I guess your answer leads me to another question...Why is it that people need a holiday to celebrate family togetherness? 

I can only speak on my own behalf, but I can only tolerate family in small doses. Thanksgiving and Christmas is more than enough for 363 other days I don't embrace them.

Originally Posted by sneakaholic4life

Originally Posted by superflyinchopstickninja

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Christmas isn't a religious holiday 

Not just atheists/agnostics like myself.....I know muslims, jews, hindus etc that celebrate xmas.

the billboard is kinda od
roll.gif
This.

Christmas has become really commercialized to the extent that anyone with any religious beliefs other than Christianity can celebrate it in their own way and it means something different that is not even Christian related.

it really annoys me when atheists always have some need to bash on everything religious.  you dont believe in god? fine.  doesnt mean you have to try and belittle everyone that does.  same goes for those over judgmental christians/muslims/jews/whatever.  everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, people need to learn to relax, let go, and just keep it movin
30t6p3b.gif
co-sign
I agree to a certain extent. I don't mind if someone feels they have something enlightening or thought provoking to share with me, even if it is not according to my beliefs. I guess I am a thinker so I like when someone has something interesting to share, however, I don't care for people trying to FORCE something on me. 
Everyone has a choice in belief, but How can you have a choice if you only do what you did as a child simply because your Mom or Dad taught you to??? Is that a choice? Someone would have to raise an alternate opinion for you to actually have to choose.

This is why I don't mind if people share with me their beliefs. 

It is empowering to know that you/I am actually making a conscious decision on life and what beliefs I will have.

youre right here.  maybe i made my answer seem a little too straightforward.  yes, i support people sharing thought provoking ideas or bringing up alternatives, the part that gets to me is when they try to completely belittle someone for their beliefs or religion.  ie "christianity is so stupid because of this, this, this, and this." seems like people have trouble simply saying why they have certain beliefs without some condescending attitude.
and no hazeleyed honey, none of that was directed at you.  it was just more convenient for me to quote you rather than antonlavey
laugh.gif

Not just atheists/agnostics like myself.....I know muslims, jews, hindus etc that celebrate xmas.

roll.gif
This.

Christmas has become really commercialized to the extent that anyone with any religious beliefs other than Christianity can celebrate it in their own way and it means something different that is not even Christian related.

it really annoys me when atheists always have some need to bash on everything religious.  you dont believe in god? fine.  doesnt mean you have to try and belittle everyone that does.  same goes for those over judgmental christians/muslims/jews/whatever.  everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, people need to learn to relax, let go, and just keep it movin
30t6p3b.gif
co-sign
I agree to a certain extent. I don't mind if someone feels they have something enlightening or thought provoking to share with me, even if it is not according to my beliefs. I guess I am a thinker so I like when someone has something interesting to share, however, I don't care for people trying to FORCE something on me. 
Everyone has a choice in belief, but How can you have a choice if you only do what you did as a child simply because your Mom or Dad taught you to??? Is that a choice? Someone would have to raise an alternate opinion for you to actually have to choose.

It is empowering to know that you/I am actually making a conscious decision on life and what beliefs I will have.

youre right here.  maybe i made my answer seem a little too straightforward.  yes, i support people sharing thought provoking ideas or bringing up alternatives, the part that gets to me is when they try to completely belittle someone for their beliefs or religion.  ie "christianity is so stupid because of this, this, this, and this." seems like people have trouble simply saying why they have certain beliefs without some condescending attitude.
and no hazeleyed honey, none of that was directed at you.  it was just more convenient for me to quote you rather than antonlavey
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 Understood

laugh.gif
 Understood

Who are you addressing?

superflyinchopstickninja's reply to me. It could have been just a general comment though.

Who are you addressing?

superflyinchopstickninja's reply to me. It could have been just a general comment though.

roll.gif
This.

30t6p3b.gif
co-sign

laugh.gif

Agreed 100%. I think people who try to force others to believe as they do are not doing it for the person they are talking to but rather are doing it for themselves. Almost as if they need other people to believe too so they can feel as if their belief is justified or correct. If they can't get you to believe then they might question what it is they were persuaded to believe.

roll.gif
This.

30t6p3b.gif
co-sign

laugh.gif

Agreed 100%. I think people who try to force others to believe as they do are not doing it for the person they are talking to but rather are doing it for themselves. Almost as if they need other people to believe too so they can feel as if their belief is justified or correct. If they can't get you to believe then they might question what it is they were persuaded to believe.

Who are you addressing?

^i noted you above.  dont worry i wasnt talking about anything you said in my initial comment
laugh.gif

Who are you addressing?

^i noted you above.  dont worry i wasnt talking about anything you said in my initial comment
laugh.gif

roll.gif
People need to make a distinction between forcing your beliefs on others and expressing your opinions, because there is a HUUUUUGE difference. If I say "God doesn't exist, there is no evidence that he does" that is my opinion. If I say "You silly christian, believe in nothing now or you will be burned, persecuted, or go to atheist hell for all eternity".....that is me forcing my beliefs.

I don't even know why people were getting at me in this thread, when I've already expressed that the billboard was a bit much.

roll.gif
People need to make a distinction between forcing your beliefs on others and expressing your opinions, because there is a HUUUUUGE difference. If I say "God doesn't exist, there is no evidence that he does" that is my opinion. If I say "You silly christian, believe in nothing now or you will be burned, persecuted, or go to atheist hell for all eternity".....that is me forcing my beliefs.

I don't even know why people were getting at me in this thread, when I've already expressed that the billboard was a bit much.

roll.gif

Who is getting at you? And I believe I said "try" to force their beliefs. There is a difference as well...

roll.gif

Who is getting at you? And I believe I said "try" to force their beliefs. There is a difference as well...

roll.gif

sorry if i seemed like i was goin at you, i was just expanding on your statement that the billboard was od 
embarassed.gif

roll.gif

sorry if i seemed like i was goin at you, i was just expanding on your statement that the billboard was od 
embarassed.gif

I don't even think about god on Xmas day to be honest.  I just think about the people I'm spending the day with.  

Back
Top Bottom