Aging in Hip Hop

Hip hop is a branch off the african american culture, the genre itself isnt a culture

Thats like saying jazz was a culture back in the early 1900s
Subculture is a word you know...so you first statement is correct but that doesn't mean that Hip-Hop isn't a culture. It's a subculture of African-American (and Latino) culture.

But jazz was simply music in it's origin. Not a way of life. Aren't there elements of Hip-Hop that are universally agreed upon by virtually every damn historian in the world that don't even have anything to do w/ music? art/graffiti is one example.

Hip-Hop is a culture....Rap is a part of the culture. You're counting them both as the same thing when they aren't.

Last edited:
Hip hop was basically a offspring of disco, once disco got played out thats when hip hop took off

This all stems from the african american culture which was my main point

Look it up, disco influenced hip hop
Look it up, why do that when I lived it my man? Disco didn't influence Herc, or Bambaataa. The disdain for Disco is what prompted the birth of this culture. I really don't like to call people out on this site, but the level of ignorance is sad.

But most of the tracks were sampled by disco
Most tracks sampled? Dj's would mostly play breaks and depending on the tempo would dictate the genre of music that was being used. A lot of the songs from 73-79 were party joints because that's how the culture initially started, dance orientated.  It's what drove the movement and how B-Boys came about. You also have to realize that rapping over a record didn't come until the very late end of the 70's. An emcee was a novelty and played second fiddle to the DJ.

When you claim most tracks sampled Disco, you are only correct referring to the commercial songs such as Rappers Delight. Then again if you are a true head you know that the founders had absolutely zero love for that. Do your homework my man before you start making claims in which you seem to have little to no knowledge about.

The older I get the less I believe it's a culture.

Do they have a rock culture?

Not specifically just a "rock" culture but there is/was subcultures that were a specific type of rock like punk, glam, heavy metal, grunge, mod, etc.

Back
Top Bottom