Air Jordan 11 Retro- Black/Red “Playoff”- 12/14/2019

My story about this release in 96. Went to my hometown to see my Grandparents along with my Aunt and Uncle. I had 130 some dollars cash from some birthday money I kept. For one purpose, to get these. I went with my Aunt to get a pair of size 10s hoping they would be there. The Footlocker at the mall had em, I held em. Then realized my dumbass forgot the money at my Grandmas house. The store employee knew how geeked I was and promised me hed hold onto them. My Aunt drove across town to get my money that I left on the kitchen table. I ran into the house, got my wallet, ran back to the car and back to the mall.
Heart was beating out my chest. Finally getting these after the unicorn Concords eluded me for several other reasons. Run and I mean run back to that Footlocker, my Aunt trying to keep up. Only to be told, they have been sold. I was crushed like no other. I was 16. My Aunt chewed his ***.lol. But at the end of the day. I took the biggest L, in my little shoe career. My consolation prize? Went to a mom and pop store and found yes in 96 found a pair of brand new Jordan 7 playoffs originals which I still have today. Those are my two greatest Jordans of all time for several reasons but most of all that link to that day, and my Aunt Susan who tried so hard to help me get them. Thanks if you read all that. lol.

This is what it's all about. Sneakers with a story behind them >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Y’all hate Bred
But I see NT, PL, IMO, etc.

It’s just a kind of abbreviation. Seeing people get triggered over the word is hilarious though lol

Imo, it's just lazy and people getting lazier. Black/Red color combo been together before the XI, and it wasn't a problem before saying or spelling it. I have no issue typing it out, but that's me *shrug*

FA6C4448-CD6A-411F-BE81-82B1A50A6DBE.jpeg

It’s funny because I’ve owned the 1996 and 2001 pairs spent many a nights sitting on my couch staring holes in the things, and never noticed a “red tint” to the upper... didn’t notice it back in 7th grade in 1996 Easbay mags, never saw it on TV when MJ was torching Seattle, and never saw it years later when I was able to pick up a DS pair... yet when I read previous members’ insistence that the mesh was red tint, now I see it and can’t unsee it lol... I’m not sure it was intentionally tinted or anything, I just believe it’s one of those cases where maybe the black wasn’t as black on the og pair as opposed to the 01 which was black as night. Just my thoughts.

Oh and, bring on the true red with the white PL edge remasters!

It’s funny because I’ve owned the 1996 and 2001 pairs spent many a nights sitting on my couch staring holes in the things, and never noticed a “red tint” to the upper... didn’t notice it back in 7th grade in 1996 Easbay mags, never saw it on TV when MJ was torching Seattle, and never saw it years later when I was able to pick up a DS pair... yet when I read previous members’ insistence that the mesh was red tint, now I see it and can’t unsee it lol... I’m not sure it was intentionally tinted or anything, I just believe it’s one of those cases where maybe the black wasn’t as black on the og pair as opposed to the 01 which was black as night. Just my thoughts.

Oh and, bring on the true red with the white PL edge remasters!
I think you’re right. I remember getting the Playoff 8 in 2007 and the neoprene was black, but it had a purplish bluish Tint or silhouette to it in certain lights. I believe Jordan used a different black mesh on the og pair.

This is what it's all about. Sneakers with a story behind them >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Imo, it's just lazy and people getting lazier. Black/Red color combo been together before the XI, and it wasn't a problem before saying or spelling it. I have no issue typing it out, but that's me *shrug*
Bred isn’t that bad to me because while speaking it, it rolls off better. As far as typing, it’s also just a shorter way to say Black/Red. It’s a matter of preference

Who is this?
His name is Gentry Humphrey..he's the guy that wants to keep everything from true og form..he was against nike air on the back and is responsible for the trash quality through from like 2006-2011 i believe he left in 2011 and he returned this year as vp of jordan footwear.any one else is welcomed to provide more info but this what i know.

Gentry has been with Nike for as early as 1993 or 1992. Sometime around 1998 or 1999, he was put in charge of footwear design. He didn’t want consumers getting OG product and literally said he was doing it to honor those smart enough to collect and keep the originals so they could feel special. I assume he gained more control over design decisions as time progressed because early 2000 11s Sample featured the very low cut and reverse jumpmans. Early 2002 7 samples had very strange shapes, and the 2000 early Infrared 6 sample known as the Reverse Infrared was set to drop. These samples didn’t release. Beginning in 2004, jordan brand cut costs and changed materials specifically midsoles and paint. They also changed molds, and started using thinner leather, and thinner padding. Many shoes oxidized in a fraction of the time OGs did too. He had a pretty good retro+ run; his team created classics like the cool grey 11/4/9, the altitude 13, the lightning 4,the DMP, and many others. However, he took the Nike Air off, kept 1s at a mid cut, reversed the Jumpman on the 11s, and made very noticeable changes to popular models in order to preserve the OG collectors’ vanity. Changes were either little or major. He made a lot of older heads stop buying Jordans, while people my age ate them up. He alienated a lot of fans who grew up with the OGs.

Now, he gets blamed for any ugly retro+ colorway, even though he designed most of retro+ fans’ favorite retro+. Also, he’s back and has probably began his new impact on the 2019 calendar. If he still thinks the same way, “As close to the OG” remaster program may be finished.

Last edited:
His name is Gentry Humphrey..he's the guy that wants to keep everything from true og form..he was against nike air on the back and is responsible for the trash quality through from like 2006-2011 i believe he left in 2011 and he returned this year as vp of jordan footwear.any one else is welcomed to provide more info but this what i know.
He also ran Nike Golf into the ground before this recent return.

He also ran Nike Golf into the ground before this recent return.
That’s right and upon his arrival again we’re afraid he’ll run jb into the ground when jb was making everything right and giving us what we want in true og form. Hopefully his views has changed since..we’ll see in 2019

First Jordan I ever wanted, but it never happened. My friend Kenny had em back in the day. He used to come my house with snes games and my mom told him to take his shoes off. Story goes, I went to the the mall to buy these with my mom, and the employee at doumett shoes persuaded me into getting the NEW jordans, the 12's. So I got the 12s that day instead. :ohwell:

Ok so Tinker got back to me and he stated he was not aware of the specs of the mesh having and red hues on the XIs, He believes that it was just the mesh that was used happen to have red hues although this was not a set spec on his part the mesh used on all og XI black and reds was the same mesh, the mesh used on space jams in 95 for MJ cane from a different source and was obtained in a small batch for the space jam Pe only so that’s why we don’t see the red hue on the space jam pes, He also stayed that yes Gentry was on the design team at the time he had no involvement in the xi design but did give positive feed back after the initial sample was revealed to the team!

Ok so Tinker got back to me and he stated he was not aware of the specs of the mesh having and red hues on the XIs, He believes that it was just the mesh that was used happen to have red hues although this was not a set spec on his part the mesh used on all og XI black and reds was the same mesh, the mesh used on space jams in 95 for MJ cane from a different source and was obtained in a small batch for the space jam Pe only so that’s why we don’t see the red hue on the space jam pes, He also stayed that yes Gentry was on the design team at the time he had no involvement in the xi design but did give positive feed back after the initial sample was revealed to the team!
Very cool read.

Wrong thread but can you as about the original Black Infrared 6 heel material, and why Jordan Brand doesn’t use it anymore?

I think you’re right. I remember getting the Playoff 8 in 2007 and the neoprene was black, but it had a purplish bluish Tint or silhouette to it in certain lights. I believe Jordan used a different black mesh on the og pair.
cordura is cordura. Its the same as it always was.

wut

Yeah I’ll ask about that, it was
cordura is cordura. Its the same as it always was.

Cordura is a brand not a type of fabric, the brand Cordura makes all types of fabric, the ballistic mesh used on XIs is not necessarily Cordura brand mesh material maybe the originals were actually Cordura brand mesh is why we have seen the red hues on the originals and no other color after og black and reds.

You have Tinker contact information? I got a list of questions I need answers for :pimp:

Yeah I’ll ask about that, it was

Cordura is a brand not a type of fabric, the brand Cordura makes all types of fabric, the ballistic mesh used on XIs is not necessarily Cordura brand mesh material maybe the originals were actually Cordura brand mesh is why we have seen the red hues on the originals and no other color after og black and reds.
I dont know, I saw that they used cordura on the converse carhartts and it looked identical to me

Carhartt_x_Converse_One_Star_Ox_sneaker_politics_Ifinal_version10.jpg

maybe not

Tell Tinker to tell Jordan Brand make the midsole of the 1 over again with the proper arched midfoot, and big swoosh moved forward a bit from where the Union's swoosh stops.

Also, lets get that fat airbag back on the 93s. Retooling the upper doesnt matter if the main attraction isnt addressed. Theyre going to be outlet-bound until it is.

Aaand Im starting to think that Nike doesnt touch the midsole/soles on their retros because thats what costs serious money to alter.

Oh and toss in that tonytobacco thinks Tinker shouldve been named CEO after Uncle Phil left the building. Its ridiculous that he wasnt.

Tell Tinker to tell Jordan Brand make the midsole of the 1 over again with the proper arched midfoot, and big swoosh moved forward a bit from where the Union's swoosh stops.

Also, lets get that fat airbag back on the 93s. Retooling the upper doesnt matter if the main attraction isnt addressed. Theyre going to be outlet-bound until it is.

Aaand Im starting to think that Nike doesnt touch the midsole/soles on their retros because thats what costs serious money to alter.

Oh and toss in that tonytobacco thinks Tinker shouldve been named CEO after Uncle Phil left the building. Its ridiculous that he wasnt.
Maybe it’s because Tinker is a creative. May not be best to run the business side

Back
Top Bottom