Air Jordan II “Chicago” December 30th 2022

Flashing back to mid to late 90s I just remember everyone thinking all the early Jordans were dated looking and basically the definition of what not to wear lol. No one wanted any of them. At least where I'm from.

I can't even remember when it changed exactly. Obviously, it's been many, many years lol.

I feel like for a hot second, if the shoes didn't have visible Air, they looked dated. I know folks around me always loved the 4, 5, and 6. As weird as it seems NOW, there was a time nobody wanted a Swoosh on their J's. That was a big knock against the 1's during the prime Jordan years. The Jumpman was a status symbol, and the more Jumpmen on an item, the better. At the time, people didn't clown those white/chrome AJ1 mids that had a Jumpman instead of a Swoosh as much as people on here would like you to believe.

It's crazy how we talk about the uncertainty of Jordans back then, especially how kicks are in today's Era of the culture. One can go back in time, 1985, Nikes first signature basketball shoe. It was weird to see Nikes with Wing logos on the sides. Then when the 2s dropped, they really didn't have much branding on them. It's even crazier that Jordan, only a year in the league, opted to go to Converse behind unfavorable shoes designs... I must say Jordan had a lot of gumption to wanna leave.

Nikes first time scrambling to make shoes way different than what the masses seen.

Flashing back to mid to late 90s I just remember everyone thinking all the early Jordans were dated looking and basically the definition of what not to wear lol. No one wanted any of them. At least where I'm from.

I can't even remember when it changed exactly. Obviously, it's been many, many years lol.

I would say around 2000 when the XIs came back. That to me is when it started to get full steam. I remember even the Black Infr 6 sitting on shelves at the mall. I wanted them, I was just broke all of the time back then.

I feel like for a hot second, if the shoes didn't have visible Air, they looked dated. I know folks around me always loved the 4, 5, and 6. As weird as it seems NOW, there was a time nobody wanted a Swoosh on their J's. That was a big knock against the 1's during the prime Jordan years. The Jumpman was a status symbol, and the more Jumpmen on an item, the better. At the time, people didn't clown those white/chrome AJ1 mids that had a Jumpman instead of a Swoosh as much as people on here would like you to believe.

Pretty much yes to all of this. Personally, I remember (as I said a bit earlier) my reaction to the first '94/'95 retros. I wanted the IIIs bad because I had always wanted them, but in general it seems like those sat in tons of places at the time, too. The collective consciousness for the most part just wasn't yet ready for reissued old product. The decade of the '90s overall was all about moving forward and away from the silly '80s culture and fashion, and people weren't looking to go "vintage." Jordan 1s at that time may as well have been from 1942 in terms of style.

Spring/summer '99, I was living up near Montreal for a few months. Was totally out of touch with what was going on in sneakers. Returned to the US that June and still didn't start paying much attention again for a while. I was kind of in a hoops depression after Jordan had retired and the Bulls broke up. At some point that summer or fall, I happened to see the BC IVs in a Footlocker. Still thought it was a bit strange, but nowhere near as strange as I had four or five years earlier. It stuck in my mind and I started thinking about it over the next couple weeks. Finally decided it was cool and I should grab a pair, and of course by then I couldn't find them anywhere anymore.

I missed the 2000 Concord retro, too, because I once again had no idea it was happening. This was just before I discovered NT, and I didn't realize the retro thing was now something to stay on top of. But when I saw someone wearing them and found out they had rereleased, I was pissed. I would've bought those immediately had I seen them, unlike my initial reaction with all those previous retros. From that point on, and after discovering NT and a community of people who also were interested in discussing/acquiring "old" shoes, the retro stuff finally suddenly seemed not only normal, but cool as hell. I suspect at that point it was--in terms of sneaker and pop-culture fashion--also looked at differently almost overnight because enough time had passed, and with MJ retired, the shoes were no longer looked at as "old" but rather "classics" the GOAT had worn. Wearing them was like a nostalgic thing for the recent past, especially since the NBA sucked right around then. And then when he came back and started rocking retros on the court with the Wizards, it was game/set/match for the coolness of the entire concept.

Last edited:
Same here. Hoping to chill for a minute after these. But I don’t see any sizes larger than 11 anywhere. I did on the fire red 3s and the A Ma 4s so I can’t be too mad. ..Actually I’m very mad, I really wanted these 2s. :lol:

Yes, I’m trying to search for a pair and I would’ve thought there would be some cancelled orders but to no avail.

The 94 bc3s I remember getting em at Sportmart in Chicago on sale for $74.99 every size still in stock. Wore em to high school everyday with my black/blue air swifts. I wanted the white and black ones but they didn’t have my size. I wanted to put “4-PEAT” just like how Pippen did it :lol:

It’s true that in the 90s the term retro was considered old and not trendy :lol:

The 94 bc3s I remember getting em at Sportmart in Chicago on sale for $74.99 every size still in stock. Wore em to high school everyday with my black/blue air swifts. I wanted the white and black ones but they didn’t have my size. I wanted to put “4-PEAT” just like how Pippen did it :lol:

It’s true that in the 90s the term retro was considered old and not trendy :lol:
I remember when they simply called it a reissue.

I usually follow Sean's sizing, but I had issues with the amm 2s. It's either they have too much padding in the mid foot area, or they're slightly narrower. I think a half size up might be okay with these, but I'll keep ya posted. Got both a size 10 and 10.5 to see which fits better

Damn, got 2 pairs at 1/2 size up. Assumed these fit like 1’s and previous 2’s.

Wore my 210 lows last night for the first time, and I'm sad to report that assuming the highs have the same tooling, these are pretty drastically less comfy than the previous AJ2's. Looks like Nightwing was accurate in talking about them messing with the cushion setup.

I would say around 2000 when the XIs came back. That to me is when it started to get full steam. I remember even the Black Infr 6 sitting on shelves at the mall. I wanted them, I was just broke all of the time back then.
Same bruh I remember I wanted the Playoff XI in 2001 they dropped that Xmas. Well ya boy learned the hard way u don’t wait u til the summer time to try to cop a J that dropped so many months prior. I thought it was like an Air Force one I can just walk in & but. Learned the hard way u gotta be more on it

Getting this jersey back in September influenced me to get a pair of these to wear with it. These will be worn strictly with this jersey. An ideal match since it's a 1986-87 jersey, the season Michael Jordan wore the 2.
IMG_6623.JPG
IMG_6628.JPG

Back
Top Bottom