Air Jordan IV “Black/Cement” - May 4th 2019

these nike air releases have been anti-climactic. people have waited years for these models to retro with nike air branding, and the persisting issues with shape/materials/toe boxes/other details just bring it all down.

Do you own remastered aquas, WC4s, Metallic 5s, Infrareds or these? 1s are far better now than back in 2003-2013 and ppl are still knit picking. Can’t win them all but damn you can still get close to the feeling.

^^^^^ I've been wearing my pair around the house after work the past couple days. I honestly don't know right now what I'm going to do come the 4th. My natural inclination is to go for another pair. All the wrong things aside, they still look good when I look down, especially when I'm wearing my various ubiquitous after-work/weekend sweats. And as I've said, I don't want to wait till I'm 50 for another shot at them. At the same time, I don't find myself peeing my pants over having them, either. Which is kind of a problem. I definitely needed at least this one pair, but there's something wrong here when I bought three pairs of the navy snakeskin 11 lows on Friday with zero hesitation, and have zero regrets, yet I'm having to try and convince myself to get a second pair of these. I mean, think about that for a second. Obviously I love those navys, but come on. I should be at least as hyped for these. Instead it's the reverse. Hmmm, I think I just gave myself the answer.

Lol the new Navy snakes are nothing like the originals as far as shape and actual snake skin texture tho, even the pattern is off lol. But you have a problem with these? I mean I have the new snakeskins and they rate pretty high for me but I also had the originals and those ain’t that. Your happy to have something close even if it isn’t the exact replica and that’s completely fine. Just my 2 cents

Y’all realize the banana shape y’all are talking about limits creasing right? Yall want comfort or just looks? Running shoes have that shape to assist with your natural stride. At this point jordan retros, well as far as 3s and 4s aren’t made to really produce to ball in at this point and the tech is 30 years old. I’m happy with my pair of 19s and their comfortable And seem to blow 2008s and 2012s out the water. I’ve owned 99s, CDPs 2012s and now these BTW.

You get a check from JB bruh? You caping too hard. Ease up

They seemed to work just fine for the greatest player of all time without the banana shape. :smh:

You get a check from JB bruh? You caping too hard. Ease up

They seemed to work just fine for the greatest player of all time without the banana shape. :smh:

Not at all but the shoes aren’t even manufactured the same lol. Every release it’s the same thing with the same problems and we still buy them lol. They threw us a bone. Those damn 2012s hurt my feet and the materials were horrible. As a supporter with love for the shoe, come on. I take my wins where I can. Honestly if I want comfort I wear adidas, if I want to feel nostalgic, I wear Jordan’s.

Y’all realize the banana shape y’all are talking about limits creasing right? Yall want comfort or just looks? Running shoes have that shape to assist with your natural stride. At this point jordan retros, well as far as 3s and 4s aren’t made to really produce to ball in at this point and the tech is 30 years old. I’m happy with my pair of 19s and their comfortable And seem to blow 2008s and 2012s out the water. I’ve owned 99s, CDPs 2012s and now these BTW.
That's an interesting point. I don't even know if it's true but I can see it in theory. Let's say it is true. And now that I think about it, the shoes nowadays don't crease like they did back then, but some of them look just as bad after a while, just in a different way. And they look worse out of the box by a long shot.
It makes me laugh because if that is the case, it's a holdover from YEARS ago on NT when fools complained about creasing. It was a stupid a** complaint then, and it is now. And then there is this: funny that they apparently listened to that complaint at the time and addressed it. Times and wants have changed. The same majority has been *****ing about the shape and materials for at least as long, but they're still sticking to a complaint from a decade ago. OK then.

Not at all but the shoes aren’t even manufactured the same lol. Every release it’s the same thing with the same problems and we still buy them lol. They threw us a bone. Those damn 2012s hurt my feet, as a supporter with love for the shoe come on I take my wins where I can. Because honestly if I want comfort I wear adidas if I want to feel nostalgic I wear Jordan’s.
I feel ya. They definitely a step up from 2012s. But then again that’s not saying much.

First pair of 4s was 2006 MBs. I beat those up, but they were such a trash release. After that I didn’t cop another 4 until WC in 16. And even those were far from good, decent.

I never owned OGs or 99s, but a kid on my HS team had the WC from 99 and those things were majestic. I mean the kid was pretty garbage but I couldn’t take my eyes off the shoes. I’m copping these joints, but I hope one day they do 4s right. The correct height, wings, shape, NA placement, etc etc. For the culture GD.

3 navy snakeskins tho? 3!?

And this is why Gentry got his job back.

giphy.gif

Lol the new Navy snakes are nothing like the originals as far as shape and actual snake skin texture tho, even the pattern is off lol. But you have a problem with these? I mean I have the new snakeskins and they rate pretty high for me but I also had the originals and those ain’t that. Your happy to have something close even if it isn’t the exact replica and that’s completely fine. Just my 2 cents
:rofl:
I absolutely see why you guys said what you did here. You got me. I am well aware that the Navy 11 lows have big differences from the OGs in 2001. And you're right, I'm being a hypocrite--and I hate hypocrisy. Believe me, I wish the 11 lows were also just the same as they were originally.
That said: The 11 lows are a random shoe that I happen to love. They have ZERO legacy in terms of MJ on the court. So I, personally (not saying for anyone else), still dig this release. Even with the changes, I like the way it looks with a multitude of pants or shorts. Or in my hands. Not as much as the originals, admittedly. But they are still dope.
The IVs, on the extreme other hand: This is one of Nike's/Jordan Brand's elite legacy products. These new versions, following several previous versions that were absolute GARBAGE, are OK. I did buy them, and I am enjoying them. But things like a damn crooked Nike Air are a slap in the face. Huge troll job that says, we don't care about you mofo fans.
Snakeskin 11 lows? They never had a following or legacy like that in the first place, and therefore no widespread appeal from consumers, so I don't EXPECT them to put in the time, effort and expense to make them to OG specs. But the most famous and sought-after OG IV? Entirely different story and expectation/hope.

:rofl:
I absolutely see why you guys said what you did here. You got me. I am well aware that the Navy 11 lows have big differences from the OGs in 2001. And you're right, I'm being a hypocrite--and I hate hypocrisy. Believe me, I wish the 11 lows were also just the same as they were originally.
That said: The 11 lows are a random shoe that I happen to love. They have ZERO legacy in terms of MJ on the court. So I, personally (not saying for anyone else), still dig this release. Even with the changes, I like the way it looks with a multitude of pants or shorts. Or in my hands. Not as much as the originals, admittedly. But they are still dope.
The IVs, on the extreme other hand: This is one of Nike's/Jordan Brand's elite legacy products. These new versions, following several previous versions that were absolute GARBAGE, are OK. I did buy them, and I am enjoying them. But things like a damn crooked Nike Air are a slap in the face. Huge troll job that says, we don't care about you mofo fans.
Snakeskin 11 lows? They never had a following or legacy like that in the first place, and therefore no widespread appeal from consumers, so I don't EXPECT them to put in the time, effort and expense to make them to OG specs. But the most famous and sought-after OG IV? Entirely different story and expectation/hope.

Navy and Pink snakes always had a following I loved them since I saw them in 6th grade and when I got them in 12th grade in 06 even up to them separating on me in 2011. If you went to a sneaker show in NY they always commanded a good price as well as respect. Just now with all the BS stories and collabs running the game. Solid color ways fall by the wayside.

Navy and Pink snakes always had a following I loved them since I saw them in 6th grade and when I got them in 12th grade in 06 even up to them separating on me in 2011. If you went to a sneaker show in NY they always commanded a good price as well as respect. Just now with all the BS stories and collabs running the game. Solid color ways fall by the wayside.
I appreciate that. But there is no comparison between OG IVs and 2001 retro+ 11 lows when it comes to the desires/emotions behind the new retro versions. Some of this is a generation gap. You graduated HS in 06. I had the OG IVs in 8th grade in '89. So I'm more bothered by changes to OG colorway IVs by about 1,000X than I am about changes to 11 low tops that came out three years after MJ retired LOL. It's all good, though, it's just the way different people see it all. I enjoy the discussion, more than anything else.

I feel ya. They definitely a step up from 2012s. But then again that’s not saying much.

First pair of 4s was 2006 MBs. I beat those up, but they were such a trash release. After that I didn’t cop another 4 until WC in 16. And even those were far from good, decent.

I never owned OGs or 99s, but a kid on my HS team had the WC from 99 and those things were majestic. I mean the kid was pretty garbage but I couldn’t take my eyes off the shoes. I’m copping these joints, but I hope one day they do 4s right. The correct height, wings, shape, NA placement, etc etc. For the culture GD.

I had 99 white cements got them in 06 and they served me well up until about 2011. Dope shoe the leather was unmatched, was a little stiff but due to thickness and they were comfortable. Even had the NA tag still attached. Sadly the air bag popped on me mid dunk xchange. Sold fast even with that.

Then scooped 12s and those were trash but again I was in love with WC4s so I copped and wore them all the same. Even tho the color was an actual dark grey. So when I got 2016s and felt them it was night and day from 2012s and gave me FAR closer feels to the 99s and that’s all I need. I’m older now comfort matters, I don’t wear any Jordan I deem uncomfortable I don’t care what shape or color way.

Last edited:
Im sort of torn. As a kid I never had a pair of 4's. 6's were my first pair......I find myself wanting these just because they are the hottest shoe coming out.....thats not a good thing. I grabbed a pair of 11's today via SNKRS and I'm sorta re-thinking picking up a pair on the 4th.

Size 12.5
943B5059-F2D9-417C-9C93-9EECD92268E9.jpeg

B0F225AA-DB23-43EA-935D-5B5B2DE82F2A.jpeg
0E5120B4-2FF8-4FC4-A47C-D660D4FADC5C.jpeg
Loving these very much.

7A95F47B-3A80-4546-A2E0-A647F7FE0ED5.jpeg
59BBED63-DC02-4017-94FC-2521E535D192.jpeg
7451B977-26DD-4425-AEE3-664D939CDBBD.jpeg
E9E4B3ED-0782-4D79-9430-65AA58BAAAAA.jpeg

Little comparison between my 89 and 19 IVs.

AdmiredImpressiveJohndory-size_restricted.gif

:pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp:

:nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat:

:smokin

Man, I'm fiendin' for these BADLY!!!! I'm still SUPER pissed that I missed out on that BS shock drop. If it never glitched up, I would've been straight. Anyways, while I've gotten past most of the problems on the 2019's, they REALLY dropped the ball not leaving the raw white edges on Durabuck. It really makes them look not as on point, as they could be. At least they made an attempt to raise the height.

It's not even close to where it needs to be, and the tongues are still thin as ****. With that said, they're still my favorite Jordan's of ALL-TIME, and I still need 3 pairs right now. 6, to 10 pairs when it's ALL said and done.

I'm loving ALL of the pics y'all. PLEASE KEEP THEM COMIN'!!! I STILL HAVE TO WAIT TWO DAMN WEEKS!!! THREE WEEKS FA REAL!!!

I appreciate that. But there is no comparison between OG IVs and 2001 retro+ 11 lows when it comes to the desires/emotions behind the new retro versions. Some of this is a generation gap. You graduated HS in 06. I had the OG IVs in 8th grade in '89. So I'm more bothered by changes to OG colorway IVs by about 1,000X than I am about changes to 11 low tops that came out three years after MJ retired LOL. It's all good, though, it's just the way different people see it all. I enjoy the discussion, more than anything else.

It’s good to have conversation thats actually productive. Lol I was born in 89. I knew space jam Jordan while you knew rookie Jordan. I get the attachment to the OGs but I’ve accepted that we wouldn’t even see Original retro quality by the time 2008 rolled around (forget even coming close to OG quality). Not to mention some OG materials weren’t great in the long run (like the 3m on OG 5 that degraded fast or the vinyl swooshes on OG 1). My generation saw Jordan play and still had love for the shoes but we didn’t get to really touch OGs at the ages that mattered, so retros were our way of actually touching the coveted OG colorways. Imagine me wanting Bordeaux 7s or maroon 5s and having to wait 15 or 20 years to own a pair. I rode the crappy quality out until 2015 and was relieved. We’ve been conditioned to survive on trash and accept it gladly. Now think about this in 2011-2014 hype as at an all time high and quality was at an all time love. Just being able to get a pair like winning the lotto. These days I’m just happy to have shoes I love that at least feel good on foot.

For those who already got their pair. Hows the comfort? Ive never owned a 4 but ive heard they arent the comfiest.

It’s good to have conversation thats actually productive. Lol I was born in 89. I knew space jam Jordan while you knew rookie Jordan. I get the attachment to the OGs but I’ve accepted that we wouldn’t even see Original retro quality by the time 2008 rolled around (forget even coming close to OG quality). Not to mention some OG materials weren’t great in the long run (like the 3m on OG 5 that degraded fast or the vinyl swooshes on OG 1). My generation saw Jordan play and still had love for the shoes but we didn’t get to really touch OGs at the ages that mattered, so retros were our way of actually touching the coveted OG colorways. Imagine me wanting Bordeaux 7s or maroon 5s and having to wait 15 or 20 years to own a pair. I rode the crappy quality out until 2015 and was relieved. We’ve been conditioned to survive on trash and accept it gladly. Now think about this in 2011-2014 hype as at an all time high and quality was at an all time love. Just being able to get a pair like winning the lotto. These days I’m just happy to have shoes I love that at least feel good on foot.
I hear you, man. We all have complaints and context to those complaints and desires. Remember, the reason we even got engaged in this tonight is you guys giving me **** for complaining about these but buying three pairs of navy snake 11 lows LOL. That shoe is not the same as the OG for sure, but it is also still nicely shaped and looks rad on its own. They fixed the toe box shape to be slanted again and fixed the cuts and height on it to a noticeable degree VS the horrible black/red etc lows from 2015-ish. It's still a slick shoe. Had they executed even that amount of effort on these, I would be a lot more excited.
That said, these are still nice. If they had just not effed up the Nike Air and bothered to put the white contrasting lines on as they did with the Vs from a couple of years ago, I wouldn't even be saying much. But this dialogue has made me realize something: just enjoy it. I won't let them off the hook here on NT ever, and will continue to voice my issues, but I also won't let it get me down. These IVs are the best since '99. I don't like that defeatist attitude but I also just want to rock some solid Js from my youth before I die :rofl:

AdmiredImpressiveJohndory-size_restricted.gif

:pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp:

:nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat::nthat:

:smokin

Man, I'm fiendin' for these BADLY!!!! I'm still SUPER pissed that I missed out on that BS shock drop. If it never glitched up, I would've been straight. Anyways, while I've gotten past most of the problems on the 2019's, they REALLY dropped the ball not leaving the raw white edges on Durabuck. It really makes them look not as on point, as they could be. At least they made an attempt to raise the height.

It's not even close to where it needs to be, and the tongues are still thin as ****. With that said, they're still my favorite Jordan's of ALL-TIME, and I still need 3 pairs right now. 6, to 10 pairs when it's ALL said and done.

I'm loving ALL of the pics y'all. PLEASE KEEP THEM COMIN'!!! I STILL HAVE TO WAIT TWO DAMN WEEKS!!! THREE WEEKS FA REAL!!!

Cmon bruh those OGs deserved the tales from the hood gif :lol:

Back
Top Bottom