AIR JORDAN MIDSOLE FIX AND RESTORATION HOW TO

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are numerous ways to ensure a longer midsole life...not all including a repaint,

1, Purchase and insert a GEL insole (if enough room in your kicks,use with existing insole)

This acts to absorb more impact,rather than the midsole taking your complete weight.This really helps prevent cracking!!!

2. The process in which to repaint your midsoles can be as thorough as you want!!

You can simply strip all paint with acetone,and then repaint in Angelus Leather Acryllics...or an acryllic of your choice,and job done!!

But I chose a more robust approach.

This is my method for the AIR JORDAN III B.C for e.g,

I. Mask all areas around the white portion of midsole in FROG TAPE (for perfect,uncompromising lines)

II. Strip all white paint from midsole using acetone (applied with cotton balls/pads)

III, Clean midsole with warm soapy water and leave to dry (20mins min)

IV. Using the finest grade sand/glass paper, lightly sand the midsole in order to create a key the acryllic can better adhere to. you should not see any visible change in the surface integrity after sanding...this is a VERY LIGHT sanding only.

V. Remove all fine dust from midsole...you may not see any,but its there I assure you.I use a hairdryer.( may have to re-tape/mask now)

VI. Apply first coat of paint.

(Your weapon of choice depends soley on you.brushes can provide a great finish if applied in enough ultra thin coats..but ultimately an airbrush is less time consuming,and leaves a perfect 'factory finish'.)

VII. Each coat will need approx 20mins to cure at room temp...and amount of coats depends on if your using brushes or an airbrush.

( Brushes approx 4-6 coats, Airbrush 2-3)

VIII. Once happy with the consistency of coverage I strongly urge you to apply 2x coats of Angelus Acrylic Finisher. (This locks and seals the acrylic)

IX. Remove masking tape,and repeat process for the Black portion.

X. Enjoy your kicks!!!!!!!

The confidence in knowing that, whatever may happen I can still have my J's crisp, like straight out the box fresh...is priceless!!! its just going to take a morning of my time to bring them up...and I have like 20+ wears in all mines at least and they holding up neatly.But dont forget that gel insole too....it definately helps in taking majority of the impact away from the midsole.

Hope this helps,,,,,,Good luck

j_rago

Hi, I do actually advocate sanding the midsole...but with very fine glass paper.simply to create an abrasive surface the paint can better adhere to.
Acetone is in fact mildly abrasive too, and you can by all means paint without the further need to sand. I just find that due to the nature of the midsole composites, and ultimately the flex created whilst wearing our kicks...We going to need all the help we can in keeping the paint from cracking, and thus far this method, (albeit a lil long winded) has proved worth it.

Good luck

j_rago

I've heard of people dying the midsole prior to painting it.  Is that a better way to go about it?

i paint mine with minimal effort as far as stripping and have never had a problem, i think the biggest deal is to have multiple thin layers of paint so that it is more flexible but do you

I've heard of people dying the midsole prior to painting it.  Is that a better way to go about it?
Hi,

Im pretty confident its on XI's only that people have dyed the phylon midsole,rather than paint. Mainly because the XI composites are somewhat more pourous than that of the III or IV for e.g

i paint mine with minimal effort as far as stripping and have never had a problem, i think the biggest deal is to have multiple thin layers of paint so that it is more flexible but do you
Thats a great story bro...And 100% agree with multiple thin layers!!!

Hi,

Im pretty confident its on XI's only that people have dyed the phylon midsole,rather than paint. Mainly because the XI composites are somewhat more pourous than that of the III or IV for e.g
That sounds right, thanks for the clarification. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom