Air Jordan V retro OG - Nike Air - Fire Red/Silver tongue - May 2, 2020

The 3m tongue Fire Red is perfection. It’s clean and gets straight to the point of the shoe. The teeth. That red accent against the black midsole just pops. Not only is the midsole black, the toe is too which hides the toe stitching on the front of the shoe. A clean look. The white upper then just accentuates the teeth by not introducing any colors until you get to the ankle collar. That’s accentuated in red highlighting the asymmetrical collar. Once you top it with the reflective tongue it’s perfect. Even the lines of the shoe are perfect. This color blocking is perfect. Any colors can be used with the black midsole and all white upper and it works every time. (Concord pair coming up proves this)

You can’t say that about the black tongue. It’s too busy. Now the focus isn’t the teeth. Is it the number 23? Is it the eye sore stitching on the toe since it’s now visible? Is it the black tongue which just looks too visually heavy? Perhaps it’s the black eyelet at the top by the tongue. There is just too many elements competing for attention and it’s visually confusing. It just doesn’t work… for me.

Simple is better.

B6D11021-A693-41CA-A835-C74206AADA62.jpeg
93B5F857-49BD-4627-A3F9-6EAD38702906.jpeg
You nailed it.

Everyone has their preferences. I personally enjoy the extra contrast on the Black Tongues. Really makes them stand out even more than the normal Fire Reds already do. Plus MJ's PE 23 on the the side, something that no public release ever had at that time, makes them even cooler to me. Both are great though. The refined simplicity of the 3M Fire Reds is undefeated though as far as OG 5s go though. The colors flow seamlessly into one another and your eye is drawn to the whole shoe rather than the accents first and then the rest of the shoe.
michael-jordan-air-jordan-5-og-fire-red-1.jpg

col1npk42y051.jpg
hqdefault (3).jpg

Everyone has their preferences. I personally enjoy the extra contrast on the Black Tongues. Really makes them stand out even more than the normal Fire Reds already do. Plus MJ's PE 23 on the the side, something that no public release ever had at that time, makes them even cooler to me. Both are great though. The refined simplicity of the 3M Fire Reds is undefeated though as far as OG 5s go though. The colors flow seamlessly into one another and your eye is drawn to the whole shoe rather than the accents first and then the rest of the shoe.
michael-jordan-air-jordan-5-og-fire-red-1.jpg

col1npk42y051.jpg
hqdefault (3).jpg
Will absolutely be in for these once retroed permitting theyre done right,
fortune be had theyll be my first and only 5.
They did an amazing job with this release but its something about the contrast i really like on the BTs, similar to why i like the FR 4s so much.

Just give me grapes with lace holes from the factory, and I’ll be good with those, metallics, and reflective tongue fire reds.
Did you grab the fresh prince 5s or no?
Super easy to put lace holes them. Only real difference is the little plastic on the eyelets. I couldn’t pass them up just because I love grapes and I got them for a steal at the time.

Super easy to put lace holes them. Only real difference is the little plastic on the eyelets. I couldn’t pass them up just because I love grapes and I got them for a steal at the time.
Tried when they dropped, but wasn’t able to get em.

Got a pair and punched the holes myself. Super easy. Nice materials as well. I just felt like the tongue was too fat. Really bothered me so I sold them.

Back
Top Bottom