Air Jordan V retro OG - Nike Air - Fire Red/Silver tongue - May 2, 2020

Brings me back memories when Mike dropped 69 pts 18 rebounds 6 assists 4 steals against them Cavs :pimp:
53590004_392955754830837_5001145650139644464_n.jpg

C8Bs4t8XwAERMOe.jpg

MJ-AV-5-4.jpeg

Man they look so good in those photos.

One word...IN!!!

IMG_20190606_162546.jpg
IMG_20190606_162553.jpg

As you can see, I need another pair,. lol!!! These are the last retros from '99/2000 (can't remember the exact date). I was A LOT younger then. Heck, even before my liver transplant, so it's going back years!! Bought these on release day at Footlocker in the King of Prussia Mall. Sadly, bought a half-size too small as I was worried about to bubbling and wonky creases (like I said, younger and dumb. Don't care about creases now). I could probably still wear these but they will need a quick glue job to keep the leather to the midsole. I can't wait for a new pair!!!

Brings me back memories when Mike dropped 69 pts 18 rebounds 6 assists 4 steals against them Cavs :pimp:
53590004_392955754830837_5001145650139644464_n.jpg

C8Bs4t8XwAERMOe.jpg

MJ-AV-5-4.jpeg
I've mentioned this previously, but these shots ... Nike way back then was giving MJ the high tongues like modern retro Vs have. I had both these fire reds and the black/metallics in 1990 and there was no way to have the tongue like that, with the full Jumpman exposed, when lacing any of the top lace holes. The tongues on the retail pairs were much shorter. I always figured they did that to make sure the logo was more prominent and seen in photos, on TV, etc. No idea why they didn't just make the retail pairs the same. Maybe they thought the average buyer wouldn't like overly high tongues.

Learned my lesson with this shoe, now I only buy one pair and enjoy them. 1st pair I barely wore and they cracked on me and about 5 years ago I pulled the second pair out DS and they started to crumble. Never again, wear your shoes!
0C374426-6051-4AC8-A85D-1CDC0E620435.jpeg
There's storing shoes, and then there's storing shoes LOL. I mean, weren't they 15 years old at that point? When I've doubled up in the past decade, if I haven't gotten to the second pair in six or seven years, I start looking to unload them or make it a point to wear them. Hell, I sold my two remaining DS pairs of Kobe V chaos a couple of months ago because they were coming up on 10 years old and I felt like there was a good chance the uppers would crack and the soles might separate after all of that time in the closet. Anyway, just saying: you can store DS shoes for a darn good chunk of time, but when you pass the decade threshold, you're probably asking for trouble.

I'm good on these.

Have at them though, but I always preferred the black tongue over these.

Still have the 99 pair I think somewhere at my moms house maybe but they are beat to hell.

I've mentioned this previously, but these shots ... Nike way back then was giving MJ the high tongues like modern retro Vs have. I had both these fire reds and the black/metallics in 1990 and there was no way to have the tongue like that, with the full Jumpman exposed, when lacing any of the top lace holes. The tongues on the retail pairs were much shorter. I always figured they did that to make sure the logo was more prominent and seen in photos, on TV, etc. No idea why they didn't just make the retail pairs the same. Maybe they thought the average buyer wouldn't like overly high tongues.

There's storing shoes, and then there's storing shoes LOL. I mean, weren't they 15 years old at that point? When I've doubled up in the past decade, if I haven't gotten to the second pair in six or seven years, I start looking to unload them or make it a point to wear them. Hell, I sold my two remaining DS pairs of Kobe V chaos a couple of months ago because they were coming up on 10 years old and I felt like there was a good chance the uppers would crack and the soles might separate after all of that time in the closet. Anyway, just saying: you can store DS shoes for a darn good chunk of time, but when you pass the decade threshold, you're probably asking for trouble.
They absolutely did that for brand recognition on TV. But also there’s no 3m on his too. So that leads me to think that if they’re releasing them to his PE specs, why not go the distance and ditch the 3m? I’d prob prefer it deleted. This plasticky glossy nonsense they use now is too much.

But also in regards to the tongue height, design-wise it’s supposed to be how they have it now. The protruded sides are supposed to line up with the collar with the top part rising up above it

I KNOW I said I’m only interested in black/Red OG colorways that Mike wore. But...we’ll...**** it, IN FOR 2!

I was like that too but then I got the black cement & white cement 4s and realized how hard it would be to keep it strictly black/red OG' so I decided instead to get home & away versions and keeping it at only 2 pairs from 3-8. Patiently waiting for white cement 3, these 5s, white/infrared 6, I'm pulling the trigger on Hare 7s soon & Bugs Bunny 8.

Back
Top Bottom