Air Jordan V retro OG - Nike Air - Fire Red/Silver tongue - May 2, 2020

Cant forgot the infamous SI issue from May of 1990 using these same Vs on the cover
Sports_Illustrated_710946_19900514-001-775-cover.jpg

These > Fire Reds

Silver tongue > Black tongue IMO

It’s sleek. That all white sits upon that all black midsole. The black threads that go around the toe are hidden from the black rubber it simply blends in. The red teeth glare out at you with such pop. The teeth sit on top of that clear sole. The white leather wraps around to that Nike AIR on the back and the ankle bumps. The lace locks and that glare from the 3M. The shoe is perfection. Nothing I would change about it. Simple. Clean. Perfection.

You can’t say that about many Jordan’s.
Meh Black metallics are better
Lol

Meh Black metallics are better
Lol
I dont know why but those just never appealed to me all the way like that. I keep wanting them but I just dont neeed them. If you get me.
The white fires have always been a shoe I liked. Something about a white shoe with a black midsole thats clean I guess. As far as the blacks go, I keep telling myself I am going to buy them. But then I am like meh. I read what they mean to people and I get it, completely. Its the only MJ "playoff" shoe I dont have. The only 5 I do have is the CDP, they look like ****. Need these like no other.

I dont know why but those just never appealed to me all the way like that. I keep wanting them but I just dont neeed them. If you get me.
The white fires have always been a shoe I liked. Something about a white shoe with a black midsole thats clean I guess. As far as the blacks go, I keep telling myself I am going to buy them. But then I am like meh. I read what they mean to people and I get it, completely. Its the only MJ "playoff" shoe I dont have. The only 5 I do have is the CDP, they look like ****. Need these like no other.
Nah i totally get the appeal, the black midsole with white upper is pretty dope too.

Once paired with black denim or joggers something happens to bm5s like in gremlins

The only gripe is the tongue, and the cushioning i guess. But if matte spray dulls it down without looking off then these are all systems go

Seriously though, the soles are so hard sometimes i wonder if theyre fakes.

Last edited:
Judging by those pics im starting to think they mightve actually made them with the synthetic upper leather heel or whatever like the OG that we talked about months ago with the discoloration/yellowing at the collar

Sad, but thats what a lot dont realize. **** was going on even that long ago. Fortunate to never encounter a situation like that.

I'm 43 and used to wait outside the KOP Footlocker for years in the early 2000s (way before apps and raffles). It was inside so you can get in with the mall walkers and just sit in front of Footlocker at 8 am until they opened at 10. Only one time I felt a bit jittery was back in 2001 for the 1st retro of the Black/Red Playoff 11s. I got there early, was 1st or 2nd in line. They were only letting a few in at a time before 10 am (gate was still down). I got in, tried on, paid and got out. Walking past the line that was nom many dozens deep, people were talking and eyeing up those coming out. Won't lie, I felt a little uneasy. Went straight to my car and went home. Thank goodness I don't do that crap anyone. Too old for that.

I'm 43 and used to wait outside the KOP Footlocker for years in the early 2000s (way before apps and raffles). It was inside so you can get in with the mall walkers and just sit in front of Footlocker at 8 am until they opened at 10. Only one time I felt a bit jittery was back in 2001 for the 1st retro of the Black/Red Playoff 11s. I got there early, was 1st or 2nd in line. They were only letting a few in at a time before 10 am (gate was still down). I got in, tried on, paid and got out. Walking past the line that was nom many dozens deep, people were talking and eyeing up those coming out. Won't lie, I felt a little uneasy. Went straight to my car and went home. Thank goodness I don't do that crap anyone. Too old for that.

KP was wolf territory. Only time I got into anything remotely like that was for the 2013 Royal 1s. Jimmy Jazz on Fulton street only had a 1 FSR and I grabbed the last 12 out the store and as I was walking out people were tugging on my bag and was trying to rip the shoes from my grip. I had to Marshawn Lynch Barry Sanders my way out of there. I didn’t even wait for the bus, I just walked home holding my pair like I’m rushing for 1000 yards

funny thing is when people were getting robbed in the 80's and 90's its because the shoes were over a hundred bucks not because they were rare or hard to get if you had the money you could walk into a number of stores at any time of the year and cop even jc pennys had jordans back then. I remember being in line strapped in the early 2000s listening to people talk about robbing all the people in line while waiting, but I never had a problem. I was just waiting and laughing thinking to myself I don't care who you are or where your from your not taking my shoes or my money because im with 6 homies that are way tougher than you lol..

Judging by those pics im starting to think they mightve actually made them with the synthetic upper leather heel or whatever like the OG that we talked about months ago with the discoloration/yellowing at the collar

The recent fresh prince grapes actually used the OG material around the collar.. looking at the pics of these I don’t think it’s the same. This porous looking material around the grapes collar is what the entire OG fire reds were made of.
FD6C6EC6-35AB-498D-8828-139D0E697D8B.jpeg

Cant forgot the infamous SI issue from May of 1990 using these same Vs on the cover
Sports_Illustrated_710946_19900514-001-775-cover.jpg

These > Fire Reds
Remember getting that SI in the mail like it was yesterday. I was in 8th grade LOL. Those Vs were the second pair of Jordans I ever got. Had that magazine forever until many years later when I moved out of the house and finally tossed a lot of mags. The rad thing about SI's online vault is you can go back and read all of this stuff any time, if you know what you are looking for.
funny thing is when people were getting robbed in the 80's and 90's its because the shoes were over a hundred bucks not because they were rare or hard to get if you had the money you could walk into a number of stores at any time of the year and cop even jc pennys had jordans back then.
I've thought about this, too. Price is still the reason, though, even if it's not the MSRP but resell price. But there are plenty of reports today about violence over sneakers etc. and it's not all for $1000 shoes. Honestly, at least part of the "difference" is, stories of people being assaulted or even killed for stuff like this isn't nearly as shocking as it was back in 1990. Pretty sure the news media was more interested in it back then than it is now. $100-plus shoes were a ridiculous concept to most people back then. Now, everyone and their grandmother is buying them. I am positive that when I go to a mall or wherever there are a lot of people today, the percentage of those people rocking legit sneakers is way higher than it was in the day. Christ, every other five year old is wearing Nikes and Jordans. You NEVER saw that ****.

The recent fresh prince grapes actually used the OG material around the collar.. looking at the pics of these I don’t think it’s the same. This porous looking material around the grapes collar is what the entire OG fire reds were made of.
FD6C6EC6-35AB-498D-8828-139D0E697D8B.jpeg
The rest of the grapes dont have that porous material? I’m pretty sure that material is considered durabuck.

Grapes are all right. Might go back on my no white shoe rule

The rest of the grapes dont have that porous material? I’m pretty sure that material is considered durabuck.

Grapes are all right. Might go back on my no white shoe rule
Yes I believe that porous material is the OG durabuck, for some reason on the grapes they just have it around the collar, then most of the rest of the shoe is regular leather. But on the fire reds basically the whole shoe is that material.. Heres a pic of some OG black tongues for reference... you can see how it’s all that porous durabuck
2454221F-A3D0-4D3D-8D89-1EF19EC38943.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom