AIR JORDAN'S FOUND IN A CLOSET

Offers have been all over. From $1000 to $2300....although, that high offer may have been just a joke as they disappeared.
We are not in any hurry to disppse of them. However, as part of the estate, they will be sold......since none of us want to keep them.
I was hoping another member could tell us more about the (QC) label or the factory in South Korea (TH) that made these.
Does another member have a pair unused like these, even if a different color way with this label ??.

If any member would like to inform these people being mentioned of their excistance, please feel free.
  Does all that matter really.  They are real legit 1985 original air Jordan 1s.  So many of us would love to have the opportunity to have a chance to have those.  I'm not tryin to tell you what to do with em but damn.   I couldn't tell you any more about the label or where its made.   Those are a crazy find and I wish you would understand that.

I really want Nike to get involved here. Would make an incredible story...

...and maybe better retros.

Last edited:
  Does all that matter really.  They are real legit 1985 original air Jordan 1s.  So many of us would love to have the opportunity to have a chance to have those.  I'm not tryin to tell you what to do with em but damn.   I couldn't tell you any more about the label or where its made.   Those are a crazy find and I wish you would understand that.
I guess not. However, I find the history of the shoe interesting. I was just curious to see if the QC label was normal or an error by the factory. We may never know.
Thank you for confirming they are original 1985 issues.

Last edited:
Offers have been all over. From $1000 to $2300....although, that high offer may have been just a joke as they disappeared.
We are not in any hurry to disppse of them. However, as part of the estate, they will be sold......since none of us want to keep them.
I was hoping another member could tell us more about the (QC) label or the factory in South Korea (TH) that made these.
Does another member have a pair unused like these, even if a different color way with this label ??.

If any member would like to inform these people being mentioned of their excistance, please feel free.
Any serious buyers ?

Last edited:
I guess not. However, I find the history of the shoe interesting. I was just curious to see if the QC label was normal or an error by the factory. We may never know.
Thank you for confirming they are original 1985 issues.
  Just read over my last post.  Came off a little sh----.  I apologize. 

Just read over my last post.  Came off a little sh----.  I apologize. 
Please, not at all. You have been most helpful confirming their originality.

Based on some posts, it seems that Nike has altered their original Air Jordan design for the worst. Sometimes it's not the best decision to change a good thing. Look what happened with Coca Cola...
laugh.gif
....they should have stayed with 7X (the original formula). 

I was also shocked to learn Nike was not as big prior to the introduction of the AJ. Personally, I can remember as a young boy ( early 1970's) buying Nike runners having the waffle pattern and thought they were cool. However, most were wearing Adidas. We all had Adidas gym bags back then. 

Mind you, most items then were made either in the USA or Hong Kong......mainly Hong Kong. Taiwan was just starting coming into the market. 

I read that Nike changed (cost saving measure) from South Korea to Indonesia to manufacture their products.  

Last edited:
There was a request to add a few more pics. So, here they are. I would say these are not prefect. Some of the grey (paint?) has been rubbed off from sitting in the box. There is also a thread that should have been cut....we won't touch it

The tissue paper is still inside the fronts and we will not remove it. So, clearly, no one has had their feet inside these.

There is a strange "chemical" smell to these. I would have to agree with one poster.....I would not want to try and wear these. They feel old and fragile to me. 

Enjoy the pics.

That's crazy he says the have a strange chemical smell. Kinda like new shoes now. Those things are crispy fresh man!

That thread on the shoe is the stitching along the midsole, I'd cut it off before it unravels further and potentially damages the shoes

The South Korean factory that made them was called Tong Yang Rubber Enterprise Co. Ltd.

You might want to contact Jordan Geller on YouTube for more info. Looks like he has the exact same OG pair in this colorway. He might just buy them off you or even help you sell them.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing the factory name with us. I wonder if they stayed in business after Nike went elsewhere..??. Maybe they started to make knock offs after that......just kidding.  

I guess the smell could be described as that "new" smell. God only knows what type of glues, etc.... were used back then. Many may be prohibited now....just like lead paint used on children's toys made in China. 

I received a PM regarding the assumed QC label/sticker stating they could not see it in the new photo's. So, I thought I would post it here again; so you can see the strange location it was placed (in red). Who the heck would want that there while walking around in their now AJ's...?. I think factory worker #199 was hoping to be recognized for their craftsmanship. 

Also, their QC was a little off as one hole was punched, but on cleared....so therefore, that, and the hanging thread in the midsole should have been noticed. That's "IF" the label is in fact a QC label ??. 199 could also be the factory workers ID number that made these..??.  The Korea symbol next to the 199 may also translate as 199. Anyone here read Korean..??. 

Last edited:
  For real, if I had the money Id give an offer and case them.  But I don't and would personally want them shoes to go somewhere that recognizes what they are.  Nike history right there.  Before this find you probably had no clue what kind of reaction your pair would get.  You know now I hope.  Shoe guys like us go crazy on this stuff.

Thank you for sharing the factory name with us. I wonder if they stayed in business after Nike went elsewhere..??. Maybe they started to make knock offs after that......just kidding.  

I guess the smell could be described as that "new" smell. God only knows what type of glues, etc.... were used back then. Many may be prohibited now....just like lead paint used on children's toys made in China. 

I received a PM regarding the assumed QC label/sticker stating they could not see it in the new photo's. So, I thought I would post it here again; so you can see the strange location it was placed (in red). Who the heck would want that there while walking around in their now AJ's...?. I think factory worker #199 was hoping to be recognized for their craftsmanship. 

Also, their QC was a little off as one hole was punched, but on cleared....so therefore, that, and the hanging thread in the midsole should have been noticed. That's "IF" the label is in fact a QC label ??. 199 could also be the factory workers ID number that made these..??.  The Korea symbol next to the 199 may also translate as 199. Anyone here read Korean..??. View media item 2402922

View media item 2402923

The Korean says 'GOM' or 'GOEM' if I'm reading it correctly. It's a Gee sound an Oe sound and an M sound. No clue what it means.

Also sorry for your loss but wow what a find. I hope people point you in the right direction with whatever you choose to do with the shoes. Whether NIKE intervenes, a classic collector makes an offer or something else, I hope they find a good home and you can take some solace in the 'joy' these shoes and your family have brought to internet strangers.

The Korean says 'GOM' or 'GOEM' if I'm reading it correctly. It's a Gee sound an Oe sound and an M sound. No clue what it means.

Also sorry for your loss but wow what a find. I hope people point you in the right direction with whatever you choose to do with the shoes. Whether NIKE intervenes, a classic collector makes an offer or something else, I hope they find a good home and you can take some solace in the 'joy' these shoes and your family have brought to internet strangers.
Well, based on your assistance....one possible translation of the Korean kanji is "Friday". So, I check a 1985 calendar with the date printed on the shoes  85-06-08 and if 06 represents the month June and 08 represents the day.......that  would have been a Saturday June 8 1985. If the date is August 6 1985....that would have been  a Thursday....Really!!!....what are the odds of this..???.

Last edited:
Well, based on your assistance....one possible translation of the Korean kanji is "Friday". So, I check a 1985 calendar with the date printed on the shoes  85-06-08 and if 06 represents the month June and 08 represents the day.......that  would have been a Saturday June 8 1985. If the date is August 6 1985....that would have been  a Thursday....Really!!!....what are the odds of this..???.

Upon further review the Korean spelling is GEOM and translates to sword. Idk how that applies to shoes but maybe it's a Factory mark or company thing when manufacturing. Here's some pictures in case ur curious.

View media item 2403146View media item 2403145

Also  "geomsa"  (slightly different) means "inspection" in Korean. Although it is written....
I wonder if this was an abbreviation used to mean "inspection"...??. It would certainly make more sense.  

Last edited:
TH is a factory contracted by Nike back in the 80s. To my knowledge they made the best pairs of Air Jordan 1s. I say this because I own a pair from TH and the collars on them have little to no cracking. The shape, leathers, everything was made with care.

Also, for anyone suggesting he sell them to Nike, don't. They will lowball the **** out of him which in turn disrespects the uncle that left them behind. If you really want to make a turn around on those, list them on eBay with at least a $1000 reserve and see how it fetches. Any private buyers that contact you, set up a PayPal invoice. I would love a crack at those but it's out of my price range.

Back
Top Bottom