Air max lifepsan on retro. When stop wearing,

Hey guys I have a lot of classic Pippin Penny and other Nike basketball with Air Max cushioning. I'm scared to wear them now because of age. At what age do you guys stop wearing your old shoes? I don't want something like this to happen see the link below

Hey guys I have a lot of classic Pippin Penny and other Nike basketball with Air Max cushioning. I'm scared to wear them now because of age. At what age do you guys stop wearing your old shoes? I don't want something like this to happen see the link below

Now. Some people are fortunate. Most aren’t. If they’ve never been worn, might as well use em a collection piece. If they have moderate to heavy wear, the time is inevitable but you may prolong their life a little but for wears in short periods. Had some Pip 4s. AM unit was super foggy, used the hair dryer method, only got a couple more wears out of em before I had to toss em. My non air max unit sneakers.........hell I’ve got some from 92. Uppers, midsoles, etc..... have been stressed so I can wear em with little maintenance.

There's so many variables.

I have a pair of sneakers from 2006 that have no cracks, separation, bubble is still in tact etc
I have those pippens from that year and the sole separated

There's a guy who used to post on here, trydar on ig, he wears stuff from the 90s.

Older than 10 years it's impossible to tell unless you own it.

I have a pair of Nike’s that have had issues less than 6 months of owning them, 2019 models. In addition, I have a model from 1984 that still is perfectly in tact. Usually it’s the glue that gives out, not the sole or upper. I’d say 15 years is a bit old for most trainers.

OP, YMMV. I only have three pairs of Air Max, but all three are over 10 years old. I'd wear them around the house just to be sure before stepping outside. The midsole inconsistency differs from pair to pair.

Lots of variables here...

We have to remember, the OG style air max units that were used for basketball shoes went out in 2005, and the newer style units are more durable, though smaller and MUCH stiffer. Also, we have to take into account the specific model. Pippens and Pennys have phylon midsoles that wont crumble, but there could still be some sole separation from the glue failing. Air Max 1s and 90s still use PU midsoles that will crumble, especially if they sit for a long time without wear.

Consistent wear and proper storage will always extend the wearability of a shoe.

Back
Top Bottom