Akron, Ohio Mayor trashes NYC Vol. Are you serious? LOL

[h1]Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic trashes New York City in bid to keep Cleveland's LeBron James[/h1]
BY Rich Schapiro
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, May 14th 2010, 4:00 AM

alg_lebron_mural.jpg

Theodorakis/News
Banner expresses the fervent hopes of those living in The Middle of Nowhere, Ohio, including Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic (below), that their star will shun New York and stay with the Cavs

LeBron James' hometown mayor ratcheted up the rivalry between Cleveland and New York Thursday, ripping the Big Apple as a place unfit for any self-respecting Ohioan.

"Who the hell would want to live in New York?" Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic told the Daily News.

"I think what he has here is a real connection to people. I hope he always remembers that, because there's a lot of things in life that are more important than an extra million or two."

The Cavaliers' power forward is the reigning two-time NBA MVP - and set to hit the open market as a free agent July 1.

The Cavaliers' season ended Thursday night in a 94-85 loss to the Celtics.

Plusquellic conceded he's quaking over the possibility James will flee Akron's scruffy suburbs - where the NBA great still owns a home - to play on the world's biggest stage.

"For sure, I'm worried about him leaving," Plusquellic said. "You don't want to lose a guy like that. He means so much for this community."

Plusquellic revealed his disgust for New York a day after a cast of Knick legends jumped on the Daily News bandwagon in calling for King James to join their former squad.

In Akron, a fading industrial city nestled in northeastern Ohio, the mayor isn't the only one worried about losing James.

From its bars to barbershops to its dwindling rubber factories, all of Akron is abuzz with rumors about James, residents said.

"It's nonstop," said Keith Dambrot, who coached James in his first two years at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School. "A lot of people are worried that they saw him play for the last time in a Cavalier uniform."

"Obviously I would prefer it if he stayed," added Dambrot, now the head basketball coach at the University of Akron. "The more that he's around our program, the better."

Those sentiments were echoed by the athletic director at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, where James led the Fighting Irish to three state titles.

"The school, as all of the northeast Ohio, is hopeful that LeBron's career continues with the Cavaliers," Andy Jalwan said.

Rick Mong, a staffer at Gameday Sportswear in Akron, expressed confidence that Ohio's hoops messiah will stay put in the Buckeye State.

"I think everything right now is being blown out of proportion. I don't think he's gonna leave," Mong, 46, said. "His roots are here, and Cleveland's a city starving for a championship."

Richard Sankey, a barber who said he lives less than a mile from James' home, believes King James is too loyal to abandon his castle.

"If you look at his history, he's been extremely loyal to his school and to his community," Sankey said. "That's just the way he is."

Plus, Sankey added, the Knicks aren't exactly contenders. "Why would he want to go to the Knicks when they're terrible?"

Originally Posted by SEAN C0MBS

[h1]
[/h1]
The Cavaliers' power forward is the reigning two-time NBA MVP - and set to hit the open market as a free agent July 1.
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

anyways, i hope he leaves cleveland for new york and gets injured during practice.......and his career ends 
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by hieu23

Originally Posted by SEAN C0MBS

[h1]
[/h1]
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

anyways, i hope he leaves cleveland for new york and gets injured during practice.......and his career ends 
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
I see you don't like bron bron

Originally Posted by Crumbs

if he wants to keep taking Ls hell stay

yeah we all know how the Knicks have thrived since they've been in the NBA for like 100 years....

yall got like 2 chips
eek.gif
laugh.gif

It would absolutely makes no sense if he goes to NYC. Financially, he would be making just as much anywhere else because of his name. Basketball wise, if he went with the knicks he won't be winning anytime soon. NYC is distraction. He is most likely not interested in smashing models and popping bottles (substituted with wife and kids).

Bottom line is he will be staying with Cleveland. The economy of Ohio depends on him.
laugh.gif

New Yorkers fail to realize outside of visiting from time to time NYC isnt a desirable place to be

If Lebron goes to NYC it isn't to win championships. Its to push the Lebron James brand on the hugest stage out. Lebron already said he wants to be the wealthiest athlete, don't ever remember him saying he wants to be the greatest ever. Like I don't hear Tiger or MJ or Kobe talking about they want to make the most money. They strived to be the best and those other things just followed.You wanted to be the wealthiest, create your own legacy, win championships

Back
Top Bottom