All 160 assistant principals laid off in Philadelphia School District; Thousands of layoffs to follo

rell826

Banned
[h1]All 160 assistant principals laid off in Philadelphia School District[/h1]
Updated at 12:07 PM today

9130594_448x252.jpg

Demonstrates protest outside the school district headquarters, Thursday, May 30, 2013, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

Tags:
school, philadelphia, philadelphia school district, local/state

icon_wpvi_byline.gif
  Action News

PHILADELPHIA - June 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Action News has confirmed that all 160 assistant principals in the Philadelphia School District are out of work amid sweeping layoffs.

That update came to Action News from the Commonwealth Association of School Administrators.

The exact total number of people being laid off was not immediately available.

[h4]Related Content[/h4]
Story: Philly school leaders approve 'doomsday' budget

More: Sendit.6abc.com

More: Send a Breaking News alert

More: Report a typo
However, a school district official confirms that there will be "thousands of layoffs today."
Those layoffs will go into effect June 30th, the official said.

At the offices of the Philadelphia Federation of Teachers, members were having a meeting on Friday to plan their response to the layoff notices.

News of the job losses comes as the district continues trying to close a $304 million deficit.

Last week, the School Reform Commission approved a $2.4 billion spending plan that includes deep cuts in art, music, athletics and other programs.

Opponents called it the "Doomsday Budget."

The district was required to pass a budget by last Friday. Officials say some of the cuts can be rescinded if they receive extra funding this summer; they've asked the city and state to kick in $180 million and for unions to agree to about $130 million in concessions.

Action News has obtained the email sent to school principals from Superintendent William Hite about the layoffs.

It reads:

Dear Principals,

This is a follow-up to my message yesterday about layoff notices.

We understand this is a difficult process for you and your school community. The Office of Human Resources will finish mailing letters today to all school-based employees affected by the layoffs. All principals will receive a list of affected employees from your Human Resources staffer this weekend.

Your Assistant Superintendent will meet with you to discuss the facts about the layoffs and to guide you in discussing the circumstances with your staff, students and families. I encourage you to utilize your Assistant Superintendent throughout this process. They are available to support you and to answer your questions. We encourage you to work with them on contingency plans for staff absences and other matters. There will be ongoing professional development opportunities and supports for principals and staff throughout the summer and fall to address your needs.

As difficult as this process might be, we need your cooperation in following our established guidelines and procedures. The school year has not yet ended and our students need your leadership and commitment.

I greatly appreciate everything that you are doing on behalf of our colleagues, students and District community.

Thank you for your continued support, cooperation and leadership.

Sincerely,

William R. Hite, Jr., Ed.D.
Superintendent

(Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji]2013 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Public education system
mean.gif
sick.gif

There is no system bro. Now they are forced to work with less than before, F the kids. THere is no hope.

A DJ could make $175 million in a year but the max a teacher could make is around lets say 300k. Think about that. This society needs to reprioritize itself. Education lost its meaning.

A DJ could make $175 million in a year but the max a teacher could make is around lets say 300k. Think about that. This society needs to reprioritize itself. Education lost its meaning.

300k? damn wheres that school.

MOST teachers are at about 40-50k. tops.

There is no system bro. Now they are forced to work with less than before, F the kids. THere is no hope.

Well, parents could take a more active interest in their child's education. Pipe dream though.

They cripple the education system on one side then watch ans see how they complain about the lost youth. :stoneface: This is the most hypocritical society ever allowed to exist.

Maan let's just turn a few warehouses into one room schools like in the 18th and 19th century. Wayyy cheaper. 

:wow:

That's ridiculously sad. Something needs to be done for these city schools. Teachers being set up to fail and these kids don't have a chance.

I get ur point but damn u just pulled some numbers out if thin air.

I think JRS might have meant 30k, but even still...his #'s are way off.

i need to know what kind of teacher is making 300k? need to change my major asap.

Na I meant 300k factoring professors and principals, should've been clearer. But the dj numbers is a ballpark on what Tiesto makes. It's crazy how much more we value entertainment than education.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Na I meant 300k factoring professors and principals, should've been clearer. But the dj numbers is a ballpark on what Tiesto makes. It's crazy how much more we value entertainment than education.

I'm still not really following what you meant by 300K? Are you talking combined salaries?

Idk man I just figured a law professor at Harvard would get that :lol: exact numbers aren't that important.

Last edited:

Entertainment>>> Education

It's what is valued in this country. At least a DJ has a skill, look at all the folks getting rich for doing nothing, aka reality stars. They entertain us, that's their skill, and they get paid handsomely for it.

In our society, the court jesters are amongst the elite.

Last edited:
Most HS teachers hit 6 figures after like 8 years of teaching at a school, you can look up your schools salaries for teachers online... Public school isn't bad either, I went to one with 4000 other kids and 99% of class ended up at four year schools... Education didn't lose its purpose, the people lost the purpose of being educated

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom