All Biased aside...Is Kobe Bryant Overrated? (Serious Discussion)

Originally Posted by Al3xis

why do we see him as the best HANDS DOWN?
most have actually opened their eyes and don't anymore.

Only because MOST people get potential and skill confused regularly. Be real. Kobe is 7-8 years olderthan all his possible follow-up superstars and he still has more ability than all of them individually and a few of them combined. We're just "used" to Kobe's greatness. He drops twelve 40 point games in a row and we applaudmoderately. There were even people saying his 81 points was "no big deal". It's just like that with Kobe. Is dude still tied for most 3s in agame? Dude is ridiculous and we're acclimated to it. He's the only 2 in the L that gets his by coasting through the first half and BURNING you in thesecond. All the other 2s are constantly on it, shot after shot. Kobe's so good at getting the shots he wants thathe doesn't have to constantly be in attack mode to do it, unlike Mello, Lebron, or Wade. Those dudes be on 10 every night. Kobe goes from 6 to 16 depending on the half. Dude is phenomenal...

nah, he aint overrated. dude is a true competitor, has incredible coordination, unmatched work ethic, and a killer instinct. one of the knocks i have on him isthat his leadership ability could be better. there are so many times he's given the "%+*" face to sasha and luke as if he's trying toembarrass them lol. but one could interpret that as just being so passionate about winning i guess.

laugh.gif
at "All Biased aside"

I see what you're trying to say OP.... The fact that Kobe has always been looked at as strictly a primary scorer is a valid point. Sure he's been onmultiple all-defensive teams. But even the most die-hard Laker fan will acknowledge that 24's D is nowhere near as good it's been made out to be (asevidenced by some answers in here already). Yes, he's always been a SOLID defender... No doubt. But all-defensive worthy? I don't know about that.

It's why so many people point to LBJ's all-around game being the basis for him having passed 24 as the best player in the game. LeBron's rebounding& passing/court-vision are light years ahead of 24 (and even if you don't think it's "light years" better, I'm sure most people willagree that LBJ is a better passer & rebounder). His defense has caught up to 24's. And his scoring has gone up while Kobe's has gone down, puttingthem on equal footing in that category. People will say that Kobe has a better jumper (which is true). But give LBJ 6 more years to refine his shot and I'msure his jumper will be just as nice.

The bottom line is that Kobe is a great scorer, yes. But what else defines his game? Mike ran point for a season. And throughout his career he was a legitimateshut-down defender as well. T-Mac (in his prime) with his court-vision, speed, and quickness as well as his ability to play 3 positions was the closest thingto a LBJ-Kobe hybrid. He was able to score, rebound, and pass. Even Wade (with his on and off-the-ball D plus his ability to also run the point/be a playmaker)is known for doing other things besides scoring.

Not at all, if you think so you're either biased or tarded, pray that you're not in the latter. Bias is ok, it's the nature of sports, but if youcan't see that man's natural ability, something wrong with you.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

No. Read my sig. Thank you.

now that's exactly what im talking about. I came in here trying to make a valid point, and the only argument i get for that is "black jesus"?

How is he black Jesus??? what warrents him to be the best player in the league when guys like Lebron/wade/Dw/CP3 go unheard from when they actually preformbetter than him??

It's not like he is Michael Jordan, who pretty much dethroned a generation of great basketball players to win 6 rings, he Does not dominate the sport likeJordan did, there are other players who are arguably better than kobe bryant or have played better than him.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

I see what you're trying to say OP.... The fact that Kobe has always been looked at as strictly a primary scorer is a valid point. Sure he's been on multiple all-defensive teams. But even the most die-hard Laker fan will acknowledge that 24's D is nowhere near as good it's been made out to be (as evidenced by some answers in here already). Yes, he's always been a SOLID defender... No doubt. But all-defensive worthy? I don't know about that.

It's why so many people point to LBJ's all-around game being the basis for him having passed 24 as the best player in the game. LeBron's rebounding & passing/court-vision are light years ahead of 24 (and even if you don't think it's "light years" better, I'm sure most people will agree that LBJ is a better passer & rebounder). His defense has caught up to 24's. And his scoring has gone up while Kobe's has gone down, putting them on equal footing in that category. People will say that Kobe has a better jumper (which is true). But give LBJ 6 more years to refine his shot and I'm sure his jumper will be just as nice.

The bottom line is that Kobe is a great scorer, yes. But what else defines his game? Mike ran point for a season. And throughout his career he was a legitimate shut-down defender as well. T-Mac (in his prime) with his court-vision, speed, and quickness as well as his ability to play 3 positions was the closest thing to a LBJ-Kobe hybrid. He was able to score, rebound, and pass. Even Wade (with his on and off-the-ball D plus his ability to also run the point/be a playmaker) is known for doing other things besides scoring.
I hear you bro.. The thing is this though, Kobe is CAPABLE of running 1 through 3 easily. But obviously his greatest talent lies in gettingbuckets. I think he can be as good of a passer as LBJ but he never will be because his scoring is so....
grin.gif
...unstoppable. If Lebron could actually shoot, would we see as many drive-kick assists from him? I dunno. But we all know Kobe can contort and finish (or getfouled) at the rim or just pull up and shoot over any one on onedefender (which only adds to his scoring lust once __S start jumping at the pump fake). Lebron is either gonna dunk on you or get flagrant fouled (butit'll only be called a regular personal because it's lebron's Hulk looking @@+ taking the hit). He's not pulling in your face nearly as often.So that's probably the difference in 3 to 5 assists between the two. Kobe's just way more comfortable pulling on you than LBJ is IMO. It's likeLebron still thinks he's 18 in a L full of grown, seasoned vets -- but he's not. He's possibly the best player to EVER play his position. Hishumility is admarable though. It helps his team a lot.

So in all, I'd say Kobe's scoring ability is so great that he wouldn't be the player he is if he wanted topass more. But I highly doubt that he hasn't figured out how to be a better passer or among the league's bestpassers. He just doesn't see it as his job to play that role all game long, unlike Lebron. Lebron's passing ability makes his scoring easier becauseyou have to honor his teammates and you can't trap apasser as easily. Kobe's passing would make his scoring less effective, as evidenced in his latestevolution into a team leader/combo guard.

"Who the F's over rated? If anything they underpaid him" <>

#'s dont lie.... not over rated

^^^I see what you are saying too.
again im not trying to say Kobe is overrated cause he's bad, im just saying his shooting game is the only thing he masters, but I do feel u on your pointdearwinter & shuges

yea sometimes it seems like it's just a matter of opinion. but definitely one of the most discussed topics

I just realized, I also think it's MUCH easier to be a great passing SF than a great passing SG just based on role and floor spacing alone. I could bewrong, but I doubt it. It's alot easier to pick apart a D with passing out from the block than passing from the corner or the wing. With a corner pass, the"swingman" will get the assist 7/10 times if he swings the ball right. It's the same with a wing pass. But from the block, if the double down, itspreads the D so thin that any knockdown shooter can prosper and more likely than not, a good passer (like LBJ or Tmac) will hit the open man w/o having torely on a swing.

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

I just realized, I also think it's MUCH easier to be a great passing SF than a great passing SG just based on role and floor spacing alone. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. It's alot easier to pick apart a D with passing out from the block than passing from the corner or the wing. With a corner pass, the "swingman" will get the assist 7/10 times if he swings the ball right. It's the same with a wing pass. But from the block, if the double down, it spreads the D so thin that any knockdown shooter can prosper and more likely than not, a good passer (like LBJ or Tmac) will hit the open man w/o having to rely on a swing.
every system is different.

nothing like that is universal.

Kobe and LeBron both are the focal points. LeBron is a better passer, period.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

I just realized, I also think it's MUCH easier to be a great passing SF than a great passing SG just based on role and floor spacing alone. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. It's alot easier to pick apart a D with passing out from the block than passing from the corner or the wing. With a corner pass, the "swingman" will get the assist 7/10 times if he swings the ball right. It's the same with a wing pass. But from the block, if the double down, it spreads the D so thin that any knockdown shooter can prosper and more likely than not, a good passer (like LBJ or Tmac) will hit the open man w/o having to rely on a swing.
every system is different.

nothing like that is universal.

Kobe and LeBron both are the focal points. LeBron is a better passer, period.

smh.gif
There's always a smart guy who thinks everything can be overtly simplified. Since "every system isdifferent" and the Lakers use a triangle, there are way less opportunities to make those drive kick assists. For starters, in the triangle, the 2operates from the corner and wing MOST of the time. It's also a lot more predicated on ball movement and less so on dribble drives. Both of those factorinto Kobe doing more catch+shooting than drive+kicking. Like I $+#$$$# said, roles and spacing...
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom