All NBA team-- Amare Over Dwight?

Marc Stein chooses Amare over Dwight
pimp.gif

Let the hate begin.

Season-ending award ballots arrived from the league office this week, but we're sticking to the usual schedule. The choices made at Stein Line HQwill be revealed on the final Friday of the regular season.
Except for one category.

We usually run out of real estate in the season's final Weekend Dime, expansive as it is, for a detailed breakdown of our All-NBA selections. Sowe're going to start going through the process now, with two reminders:

1. This is a preview of where I'm strongly leaning with 13 days to go in the regular season. I reserve the right to tweak any of these threeteams before actually submitting my ballots -- changes to the current Dallas-Denver-Golden State order would undoubtedly necessitate a rethink, for example --but you will be notified of any changes.

2. The league instructs us to vote for five players on each of the three All-NBA teams at the position they play regularly and with noties. Five points are awarded for every first-place vote, three for every second-team vote and one for every third-team vote.
[h2]First Team[/h2]
F -- Kevin Garnett (Boston)
F --LeBron James
(Cleveland)
C -- Amare Stoudemire
(Phoenix)
G --
Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers)
G -- Chris Paul
(New Orleans)

The rationale: Four names on the first team were automatics because Bryant, Paul, Garnett and James are everybody's top four in the MVP race insome order. The only contestable item here, I suppose, is that I'm favoring Stoudemire as my first-team center, knowing very well that he only plays centernow when Shaquille O'Nealis off the floor.

Here's the deal: He's played more center than power forward overall this season, which technically addresses those aforementioned leagueinstructions to "please vote for the player at the position he plays regularly." It's a fact that Stoudemire has played more regularly thisseason at the five, and that fact is a huge help in a season where we're at least one worthy center short because Yao Ming played only 55 games beforegetting hurt.

Then there's this: Amare has also been one of the five best players in the league in the second half of the season, which motivates me even moreto find room for Stoudemire on the first team.

Shaq's arrival is widely credited as the spark for Amare's latest dramatic spike, which is something we've all been watching for sinceShaq said on his first day as a Sun that one of his most important jobs in the desert would be overseeing the "Amare Stoudemire Project." Yet we tendto agree with Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, who pointed out recently that Stoudemire's numbers "started to go off the charts" even before theO'Neal deal, with Phoenix running more plays than ever before for the 25-year-old.

Turning my ballot in this way would thus bump Dwight Howard to the second team, which will enrage my oldest son Alexander The Greatest, who's been doingSuperman dunks on the mini-hoop upstairs pretty much nonstop since All-Star Weekend. Howard, however, played his best ball in the first half and has been atouch less ferocious since, dunk contest aside. Factor in the whispers coming out of Orlando that Hedo Turkoglu is the Magic's greatersource of consistency and the case for Amare grows.

[h2]Second Team[/h2]
F -- Tim Duncan (San Antonio)
F -- Carlos Boozer
(Utah)
C -- Dwight Howard
(Orlando)
G --
Manu Ginobili (San Antonio)
G --
Steve Nash (Phoenix)

The rationale: Team success, as usual, bosses my thinking here.

Ginobili is having his best season and has essentially been Duncan's equal for the first time, which has the defending champs vying yet againfor the best record in the West and should leave little doubt why there are two Spurs on the second team.

I fully expect Howard to appear on most ballots as a first-teamer -- and I'm not ruling out reverting to such thinking when ballots are dueApril 17 -- while Boozer has only enhanced his status as one of the game's most fearsome down-low operators for the team with the best home record in theleague. So they're no-brainers, too.

As for Nash …

If you're planning to write in claiming that the two-time MVP has slipped at 34, don't bother. You'll never convince me. Check out thenumbers; Nash's statistical production remains highly efficient and spectacular. His role in helping to quickly assimilate Shaq in one of the most dramaticmidseason changes of all time, furthermore, can't be underestimated.

[h2]Third Team[/h2]
F -- Dirk Nowitzki(Dallas)
F --
Paul Pierce (Boston)
C --
Marcus Camby (Denver)
G --Allen Iverson
(Denver)
G --
Tracy McGrady (Houston)

The rationale: Figuring out the third-team forwards is fairly easy by comparison because Pierce has raised his ferocity to KG's level for theteam with the most wins in the league and thanks to Nowitzki's second-half return to his MVP form. Denver's Carmelo Anthony isn't far behind,but misses out because the Nuggets aren't putting three players on a 15-man squad. Not even Boston can do that.

Injuries were an unavoidable variable at center. Yao will wind up missing more than a third of the season when you include the playoffs, leaving usto choose between Toronto's ChrisBosh and Camby. This is subject to change if the Nuggets squander their current playoff-bound status, but Camby's nightlyattempt to make up for the defense multiple teammates don't play and his newfound durability -- he hasn't missed a game yet this season at 34 -- brokethe deadlock. (Although we should add that RasheedWallace was also a consideration here, in spite of what the stats say, given Sheed's overall team contribution to the mightyPistons and his better-than-ever relationship with the refs.)

That brings us to the crowded nightmare at third-team guard. Everyone keeps waiting for Iverson to break down, now that he's 32, but do you seeany slippage? Not us. T-Mac's Rockets, meanwhile, were supposed to collapse without Yao and wound up stretching a 12-game winning streak into a 22-gamer,which is only the second-longest unbeaten run in NBA history.

The problem with choosing those two, though, is that you're then forced to leave out Deron Williams, Baron Davis and Chauncey Billups. Which makes you feelvery bad about yourself.

Yet you conclude, in the end, that Houston has to have one All-NBA representative, even more than a Detroit team that makes it almost impossible topick out a standout. Davis will come back into consideration on my official ballot if the Warriors manage to reclaim their playoff spot -- D-Will and Billupsdeserve the same reconsideration at season's end, frankly -- but it looks as though Baron's still-alive run at playing all 82 games will be bittersweetunless the Mavs and Nuggets slip up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080405-06

imo, Garnett should be moved to 2nd team. Amare to Foward, and then put Dwight at Center.

The first team is right, Dwight takes too many plays and games off. I'm a Magic fan but I got the feeling he could end up being the Vince Carter of modernCenters. A guy with Hall Of Fame talent that lacks the hunger to be the best in the league night in and night out.

I think Dwight deserves it over Amare.. but I would rather have Amare on my team. Amare is a beast.

LOL at T-Mac over Deron Williams and Baron Davis.
Baron hasn't even missed 1 game this whole year, I would go as far as to say he should be in the discussion for MVP

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Baron hasn't even missed 1 game this whole year, I would go as far as to say he should be in the discussion for MVP
If Baron is in the discussion for MVP, then Deron needs to be in the discussion for MVP... Deron is playing amazing basketball

ginobili gets all-nba over iverson and tmac on 2nd team??
roll.gif

the team still goes through duncan and parker more than ginobili. if anything, those 3 share the same responsibilities, with ginobili having less of a load b/che comes off the bench, plays less minutes, and doesn't have to shoulder all the wear and tear.

tmac playing injured as hell right now, iverson still ballin

cmon stein, think

baron has much more talent on that team right now (plus u add to the fact that yao's out) and they still can't overtake houston for a betterrecord? cmon man. the style of play the warriors play inflates all of the players' numbers.

i admit deron shoudl be over tmac based on individual stats b/c he does a lot for his team. but look at who has the better talent on their team overall, andlook who has the better record.

let's be real, none of the playerso n the rockets would start on any other team, outside of scola possibly.

Originally Posted by Jdiddy931

I think Dwight deserves it over Amare.. but I would rather have Amare on my team. Amare is a beast.
Is Dwight not a beast? What is it that he does better than Dwight.

Originally Posted by nyk buc

baron has much more talent on that team right now (plus u add to the fact that yao's out) and they still can't overtake houston for a better record? cmon man. the style of play the warriors play inflates all of the players' numbers.

i admit deron shoudl be over tmac based on individual stats b/c he does a lot for his team. but look at who has the better talent on their team overall, and look who has the better record.

let's be real, none of the playerso n the rockets would start on any other team, outside of scola possibly.
word? Shane Battier wouldn't start?
eyes.gif

If you want to do better records, Ray Allan should have made it over T-Mac.

Also, why don't you say anything about Steve Nash?
The Suns play the exact same way the Warriors do, should he be left of an all NBA team?

baron has much more talent on that team right now (plus u add to the fact that yao's out) and they still can't overtake houston for a better record? cmon man. the style of play the warriors play inflates all of the players' numbers.
forreal those NBDL bums don't play defense.
sick.gif

I wouldn't go as far as saying Baron is the MVP, but everyone's been saying prior to this season, he'd be all-star caliber and one of the best PGsif he were healthy. well guess what? he's healthy this season. in any other year when every team in the West isn't this good, then perhaps Baron wouldbe in the discussion.

but then...brandon roy is an all-star and...
frown.gif

A few things:

-NO Garnett should not be moved to the second team. SMH at the person who said this.

-Amare definitely deserves first team. He is carrying the suns.

-I am getting so sick and tired of teams success as being a measuring stick for EVERYTHING. I can understand the MVP. Next the all stars are then being pickedbased on current team success (
smh.gif
at Brandon Roy being selected over Baron...theres still no valid argument for this). And now all NBA teams are based on teamsuccess. Why? Shouldn't the NBA's best players be on the all NBA team?

Originally Posted by acidicality

forreal those NBDL bums don't play defense.
sick.gif

I wouldn't go as far as saying Baron is the MVP, but everyone's been saying prior to this season, he'd be all-star caliber and one of the best PGs if he were healthy. well guess what? he's healthy this season. in any other year when every team in the West isn't this good, then perhaps Baron would be in the discussion.

but then...brandon roy is an all-star and...
frown.gif

baron's an all-star caliber player, but he was healthy in his first few yrs when he had even more athlticism and pure ability than right now. he onlyavg 18 ppg on 41% shooting. his best season b4 the last 2 was 22ppg on 39% shooting statistically. but he was always a good player.

look at stephen jackson and monta ellis. those 2 would still be good players, but nowhere would be putting up the stats they put up.

the system is perfect for baron. he has the talent on his team. and his team is still worse than the rockets. how can u really put baron over tmac then?

i admit deron shoudl be over tmac based on individual stats b/c he does a lot for his team. but look at who has the better talent on their team overall, and look who has the better record.

word? Shane Battier wouldn't start?
eyes.gif

If you want to do better records, Ray Allan should have made it over T-Mac.

Also, why don't you say anything about Steve Nash?
The Suns play the exact same way the Warriors do, should he be left of an all NBA team?

i'm talking about records on "LESS TALENT". shane wouldn't start for the lakers would they? he wouldn't start for the warriorswouldn't he? he wouldn't start for the suns would he?

the celts are 6-1 without ray allen.

but the suns have just as good of a record as the rockets. the warriors have a WORSE RECORD than the rockets and might not make thep layoffs.

point blank, the warriors have MUCH more talent than the rockets since yao have been out? and guess who has the better record.

and idk why y'all sayin tmac shouldn't deserve at least a 3rd team? dude is putting up 22.1ppg, 5.2rpg, 5.7apg.

A few things:

-NO Garnett should not be moved to the second team. SMH at the person who said this.

-Amare definitely deserves first team. He is carrying the suns.

-I am getting so sick and tired of teams success as being a measuring stick for EVERYTHING. I can understand the MVP. Next the all stars are then being pickedbased on current team success ( at Brandon Roy being selected over Baron...theres still no valid argument for this). And now all NBA teams are based on teamsuccess. Why? Shouldn't the NBA's best players be on the all NBA team?

PS - houston is 17-5 without yao ming.

see the lakers without pau.
see the mavs without dirk
see the spurs without duncan

roll.gif
@ y'all sayin tmac doesn't have a lot to do with the rocketsdoing well without yao. his teammates have stepped up, but the team still starts and ends with him. how do you explain his minutes per game have increasedfrom 35 mins with yao to 41 without yao, his shot attempts have gone from 18 with yao to 21 without yao. he played 2 48-min games since yao went down.

and golden state is what without stephen jackson? 1-6? cmon now

roll.gif
@ y'all sayin tmac doesn't have a lot to do with the rockets doing well without yao. his teammates have stepped up, but the team still starts and ends with him. how do you explain his minutes per game have increased from 35 mins with yao to 41 without yao, his shot attempts have gone from 18 with yao to 21 without yao. he played 2 48-min games since yao went down.

I'm confused. Is this the MVP thread, or the All-NBA thread?

roll.gif
@ y'all sayin tmac doesn't have a lot to do with the rockets doing well without yao. his teammates have stepped up, but the team still starts and ends with him. how do you explain his minutes per game have increased from 35 mins with yao to 41 without yao, his shot attempts have gone from 18 with yao to 21 without yao. he played 2 48-min games since yao went down.

I'm confused. Is this the MVP thread, or the All-NBA thread?

tmac is having a better season than davis isn't he? 22.1, 5.2, 5.7, with his team above davis, who is averaging 21.9, 4.7, 7.4

Back
Top Bottom