All Things Sports Media Thread!!

According to the NY Times.

Richard Sandomir
‏@RichSandomir - BIll SImmons to leave ESPN, according to ESPN president John Skipper. "We weren't going to get to the terms," said Skipper.

“I decided today that we are not going to renew Bill Simmons’ contract. We have been in negotiations and it was clear it was time to move on. ESPN’s relationship with Bill has been mutually beneficial - he has produced great content for us for many years and ESPN has provided him many new opportunities to spread his wings. We wish Bill continued success as he plans his next chapter. ESPN remains committed to Grantland and we have a strong team in place.”

Skipper said that the differences between the company and Simmons were “about more than money,” although he would not offer details. He added: “We’ve had an excellent run with Bill, almost 15 years. It’s been good for us and good for him. It was a decision I had to make and he had to make to move forward.”

Grantland, the sports and entertainment site run by Simmons for ESPN, will be unaffected by his departure, Skipper said.

“It long ago went from being a Bill Simmons site to one that can stand on its own,” Skipper said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/09/sports/bill-simmons-and-espn-are-parting-ways.html?_r=0

I'm interested to see what he's going to do.

Simmons has an ego and he is going to want to still be as mainstream as it gets. Grantland was his baby and he has to leave it - I don't see him starting a new one like that and having to hire talent again. 30 for 30 also had his prints all over it - he won't get that again.

FOX and Yahoo have serious money and could swoop in but Yahoo has no real TV presence and FOX Sports is gasping for air. Bleacher Report and similar sites would have to promise him the moon to even get into the door. NBA TV could be an option but that limits him as he likes to get into all sports.

I'm sure he has a plan and starting his own platform has always been in play IMO.

cant wait for that either to come out doh..

you know that situation (plus a couple others) with the girl who got her car towed had to rub him the wrong way.. considering he got in bigger trouble for either A) speaking the truth about goodell or B) pointing out how inept the man is at his job IF his version of the story was true

Simmons could start a subscription service site for like $3.95 a month and have millions in the bank tomorrow morning

I'm sick right now

And they took grantland from him?

Thoughts later

Sad day

tired.gif

Long as I still get my Jalen And Jacoby fix...I'm good.

No surprise. Willing to bet the NFL had a lot to do with this. Goodell and Co. are the Mafia.

And Grantland will fold STAT. Who the hell goes to that site for other reasons than his columns? :lol:

Lowe and Barnwell are great but they can just move their columns to the main site.

I've followed Bill since his AOL days and will continue to do the same wherever he goes :smokin

#TeamBS

Lowe, Abrams, Goldsberry, Jalen and Jacoby, and the Hollywood Prospectus. :frown:

cant wait for that either to come out doh..

you know that situation (plus a couple others) with the girl who got her car towed had to rub him the wrong way.. considering he got in bigger trouble for either A) speaking the truth about goodell or B) pointing out how inept the man is at his job IF his version of the story was true

Word he got 3 weeks for those comments speaking truth yet her clown self only got a week :smh:. I'd be pissed too if I were him

Last edited:
No surprise. Willing to bet the NFL had a lot to do with this. Goodell and Co. are the Mafia.
strong possibility... see 'playmakers'
And Grantland will fold STAT. Who the hell goes to that site for other reasons than his columns?
laugh.gif
gotta give the podcasts love.. especially the 'pop the trunk' podcast

and Zach lowe is great

gonna effect 30 for 30?
could see fox sports handing him a boat load of money

could see fox sports handing him a boat load of money
between fox and NBC.. or any of these other new sports networks or whatever.. I could easily see them handing him boat load

they threw a ton of money at michelle beadle and a couple ex espn folk.. this could legit be a game changer for them

Lowe, Abrams, Goldsberry, Jalen and Jacoby, and the Hollywood Prospectus. :frown:
I forgot Goldsberry smh. Like you said earlier there are probably contracts in place here to keep those guys around for a while longer by don't be surprised if there's a quality drop off. There will be unhappiness amongst the staff.

Back
Top Bottom