Allergic reaction to US religious right' fueling decline of religion, experts say

Percentage of churchgoing Americans is steadily falling, and the swirl of rightwing politics and Christianity is playing a key role

Fewer than half of Americans belong to a house of worship, a new study shows, but religion – and Christianity in particular – continues to have an outsize influence in US politics, especially because it is declining faster among Democrats than Republicans.
Just 47% of the US population are members of a church, mosque or synagogue, according to a survey by Gallup, down from 70% two decades ago – in part a result of millennials turning away from religion but also, experts say, a reaction to the swirling mix of rightwing politics and Christianity pursued by the Republican party.
The evidence comes as Republicans in some states have pursued extreme “Christian nationalist” policies, attempting to force their version of Christianity on an increasingly uninterested public.

The more secular a nation becomes the better. Certain opportunist like to pit people of different religious groups against one another end politicians use the clergy for their own advancement as well. I wish one day we could get down close to zero. It’s one thing to be spiritual and worship at home, but believe me, you don’t need a pastor or priest etc to tell you what to do.

IMO this is good news

We need less religion interfering with laws and how our government passes certain bills and legislation

this is IMO a step in the right direction

Christianity has become such a dirty word.
It's their own fault.

What is true about cultures is also true of religions: those that fail to adapt to revolutionary changes (whether those changes are driven by technological change or political upheaval) end up dying.

The Christian world refuses to adapt to contemporary life, and failure to do so will be their own undoing. That, or it will devolve into sectarian conflicts, not unlike the Islamic world, where they have been fighting intrareligious wars after having been the seat of world knowledge and progress for 1000 years.

The funny thing about this topic is that I'm reading a book published in 2005 by an Evangelical pastor called "The Myth of a Christian Nation" in which he talks about how too many Americans are using the bible for their political views.

Westernized Christianity has definitely put a bad taste in my mouth especially as a black man in the south. This is why I left Christianity years ago and started practicing Kemetic Spirituality.

The funny thing about this topic is that I'm reading a book published in 2005 by an Evangelical pastor called "The Myth of a Christian Nation" in which he talks about how too many Americans are using the bible for their political views.

Westernized Christianity has definitely put a bad taste in my mouth especially as a black man in the south. This is why I left Christianity years ago and started practicing Kemetic Spirituality.
That's interesting. What attracted you to such, Kemeticism?

Back
Top Bottom