Am I The Only Person Who Grew Outta "Real" Hiphop?

^ nas was just sayin what every other real hip hop head was thinking. notice only the guilty parties got offended he said it. him sayin it had nothing to dowith killing hip hop, it started dyin way before that. but like i said before every1 is entitled to their interpitation of music.

yeah i can most def feel you on that
like i used to bump mobb deep, nas, immortal technique, jedi mind tricks and the wu madddd heavy
but as of the last year, i can't really mess with that music as much
most of the stuff i be listening to is like gucci mane, rich boy, jeezy, oj da juiceman, lil wayne

Replacing Gang Starr with Gucci? You buggin'. Sounds like you're just into what's "cool" at the time. And not so much doing your ownthing.

Originally Posted by iHateTimeDotCom

gangstarr and gucci make 2 totally different types of music... if u used to b more laid back and now u runnin round jumpin off the walls gang starr might not b what u want to hear... hype %$%# was rare back in the day...

cats b fallin asleep at the wheel listenin to guru... the combo of his monotone voice and boring flow cause 10 motorvehicle deaths per year...

You serious ?

Maybe not gangstarr, but there was tons of boom bap gritty hardcore music in the 80's and 90's that would get mother teresa hype. Pop in a Hill TopHustlers record from '87 and you will feel like punching the next person you see in the face.

Gucci's mainstream? No.

Hype #@*@ was rare? MOP? Even Public Enemy was hype #@*@. Familiar with NWA? If I cared to think about more, I'm sure I could. Stop acting like these newjacks invented this #@*@.

I'm not saying you can't dig the new #@*@. I dig some. But turning around a fronting on records you claim you used to love is weak. Like Send One said,straight bandwagon bull #@*@.

To many "trendy" cats out here. Not enough genuine fans. Big reason why the music is a mess.

We still got things that are more well-known like EPMD, Kool G, MOP, and then later on like Black Moon, Bootcamp, Mobb Deep, Wu etc

Originally Posted by toast1985

Originally Posted by atransta

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

Hell No!!!

Old Wu, ATCQ, Outkast, Mobb Deep, BootCampClik, Pete Rock & CL go harder than anything from current day hip-hop. Timeess music never gets boring. I can listen to a track like Nas Is Like everyday and not get bored.

And damn I could understand if u said Lupe or Joell but Gucci Mane and OJ.
X2
My sentiments exactly!
Agree

Wow, did somebody mention Hilltop Hustlers? Vintage material right there.

see that stuff aint nowhere near the hype im talkin about and i forgot answer phil... gucci IS mainstream...

we all kno who he is... even yall east coast dudes... he cant b THAT underground... im sure he's more known than vinnie paz

I doubt Gucci is as well known as Paz... maybe in the U.S.

Anyway, I guess you are talking about music that "goes hard in the whip" with the beats and everything. All I know is, my 80's and 90'sclassics hold me down well. Gucci and them folks are alright in small doses.

I actually havent been listening to too much music these days... I been engineering my double LP for about 6 months so whenever im not cleaning the house(where I listen to other artist ) Im trying to figure out how I can improove my records....

Nas can get burn on anyday, maybe because he never put hisself in a box lke most artist these days
Jay can only get burn in moderation( I've watch S.Carter go from RD to present ) its been a big dissapointment since TBA
BIG and PAC only get burn one specail occasions

I havent listened to the radio consistenly in yrs.... every now and then I'd see whats on and 8 times outta 10 i dont like the song.... maybe its becauseIm older but this new breed of "rappers" is trash....

The airwaces are flooded by the same artists every 3-4 months rotation.... nothing origianl in the mainstream

The cats that are putting out good music aint getting burn, so dudes gota search for heatrock now.... b4 we got that all day everyday..... I used to love thesouth movement when they put out classics from No lLimit, Cash money 97- 01, UGK had heat, TI made good stuff his ifrst couple albums, even the one hit wondershad heat to offer.....

That NY sound is non existant cuz we trying o compete with other regions instead of making OUR MUSIC... the youngins is lost and the older cats is chasingmoney.... we need carhartt timberland and champion hoodie music....

VISAS AND PASSPORTS VOL 1 AND 2 IS 95 % COMPLETE.... PEEP THE SIG FOR THE LINK TO A QUICK PREVIEW

gangstarr and gucci make 2 totally different types of music... if u used to b more laid back and now u runnin round jumpin off the walls gang starr might not b what u want to hear... hype %$%# was rare back in the day...

cats b fallin asleep at the wheel listenin to guru... the combo of his monotone voice and boring flow cause 10 motorvehicle deaths per year...
b what the ---- you be talking about sometimes. Your equating what is categorized as hyped now to a totally different type of hype in the90's. Scenario remix couldn't get a party hype in 2009 but back in the early 90's that was what rocked house parties, Mass Appeal by Gangstarr....Sound Bwoy Buriel by BCC, Survival of The Fittest, Throw Ya Gunz... so many joints that wouldn't be categorized as hype in 09. Thats not a fair assessmentto say they weren't many hype tracks back in the day, what you think Capri, Mister Cee, Flex and etc were spinning at clubs I Gave You Power?!?
laugh.gif

''we need carhartt timberland and champion hoodie music....''

Word up Devildog!
(*and I own all 3!)

The majority of what I listen to whether it's R&B or Hip Hop is from the 80's and mostly 90's.I'm not gonna come down on someone who isinto the stuff that comes out now but for me personally,I just can't get with this s***! I haven't solidly listened to the radio since 04 (anunderground radio station was the only one I listened to) and channel surfing i'll come up on 106 & Park or somethin' and just say to myself''damn.............this is the flavor right now???????''.

I can dig what GA is saying. I have to be in the mood to listen to Gangstarr, Wu, Tupac, BIG, etc. I'm always in the mood to listen to Nas, Jay and late90's Rawkus. Hype music is strictly for the whip and when I'm on the XBOX. Has nothing to do with being trendy. Music sometimes reflects how you arefeeling. Just as an example, during the summer I listen to less Mobb Deep compared to the winter. We make it do what it do.

Originally Posted by illphillip

Replacing Gang Starr with Gucci? You buggin'. Sounds like you're just into what's "cool" at the time. And not so much doing your own thing.
Just because a person likes Gucci more they're a follower?
grin.gif
I mean you could say they have bad taste in music I wouldn't agree but it brings a more valid argument. But a follower?

Replacing Gang Starr with Gucci? You buggin'. Sounds like you're just into what's "cool" at the time. And not so much doing your own thing.
laugh.gif

I grew up on the west during the Death Row era, dudes weren't rockin with east coast hiphop out here, you had to search it out. I used to stay up until 3amtaping the wake up show & the joint with king emz and mike nardone & never missed a concert at unity even tho I had no one to roll with...

I guess I can't relate to the struggle & grind thats infused in the lyrics. I remember walking home from school on a cold day feeling Hav talking boutsmoking back to back cigs on some stressed $$$ or Prince Po talking bout the inner city struggles. Now that I have grown older & well off, I can'trelate to that as I once did before.

Artists such as Co Flow which I listened to daily just don't make sense to me anymore. I would try & piece together a moral from their way out lyricsbut nowadays I see it was dope rhyme schemes that fit well over the beat. When I get into that mood, I'll zone out, that mood doesn't strike me thatoften anymore.

I enjoy going out, getting nice & getting it crackin. I'm not gonna throw on some Pete Rock when I'm bout to hit the club or chill wit a broad...

Originally Posted by flossb15

i feel you, but i just dont categorize hiphop anymore -
Exactly. If anything I've learned to just appreciate everything. It's a time and a place for everything. One minute I might feel likelistening to Little Brother...the next I might feel like listening to Shawty LO. Depends on how I'm feeling and what I wanna hear all the time. That'swhy ignore all these elitists @@@%$@ on here daily. Like that lame +*# #+%$@ MidEastBeast.

Originally Posted by Agthekid

I don't understand how you can grow outta real hip hop.

But I can understand you may have tone it down alot.

Which I've done alot over the past 2 years.

I ask me if I would have listened to Gorilla Zoe and Gucci 3 years ago the answer would have been HELLL NO!!!

But classic hip hop will always be bumped on the regular.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Just because a person likes Gucci more they're a follower?
grin.gif
I mean you could say they have bad taste in music I wouldn't agree but it brings a more valid argument. But a follower?
im not even sayin i like gucci more... gang starr got they fair share of !@+! and all but i dunno why people act like guru is so *+$$#$ easy to listen to... most monotone rapper ever and his bars were pretty weak too... im sure premo could outrhyme guru...

u might feel a song so much that u dance to it but that dont make it hype...

and just cuz its hype dont make it good... like that !@+! only serves one purpose... but its so dope for those moments... if yall east coast dudes ever pull yall heads out yall !**+* u would see that the rest of the country is on some totally different !@+!... most of the lyrical rappers are depressing as @*%@ man... budden is that dude but i just got over a bout wit depression and i cant even really listen to dude like that no more... i dont b wantin to hear no sad !@+!... esp not this dude talkin bout people dyin n !@+! leavin voicemails... them mood muzik 2 is straight suicide watch status... he said "i never let myself down (why?) cuz i dont expect too much from me"
eek.gif
... thats dope and all but if u havin a good @%* day tryin to see !@+! in a positive manner most of that old school !@+! aint gone cut it... the west really had them songs on lock (lets me ride, today was a good day, etc...)

all the other !@+! gone have u on youtube on some conspiracy !@+! talkin bout "dont trust the govt."... rappers got dudes converting they religions n !@+!... i graduated hs got a lil college under my belt... im good... just make !@+! thats entertaining... u wanna teach be a *+$$#$ teacher... its cool to drop a lil knowledge here and there but dudes like nas b buggin the @*%@ out wit all the africa talk... even in belly this dude wanna run to africa... damn krs one so much of a hypocrite... 36 chambers my !@+! sometimes (after laughter comes death and tears) but that !@+! is depressing too for the most part...

damn im high... does any of that even have to do with the topic?
He speaks the truth

My standards apply to all music. I don't care if its pop/mainstream/underground whatever..If its good to my ears I'll listen to it. I can bump Wu,Gangstarr, Jeru or whoever but some days I'm in my Wayne, Jeezy, Cam, Biggavel or whoever mood.

If it sucks, it sucks...I can't really get down with Gucci for the most part but dude is entertaining at times.

Back
Top Bottom