Amazon to Pay Fine for Withholding Tips From Delivery Drivers

Amazon agreed on Tuesday to pay $62 million to the Federal Trade Commission to settle charges that it withheld tips to delivery drivers over a two-and-a-half year period, in a case that highlights the federal government’s increased interest in gig-economy workers.

The F.T.C. said in an announcement that Amazon had promised its Flex delivery drivers that they would receive 100 percent of all customers’ tips. But starting in 2016, the F.T.C. said, Amazon secretly lowered the hourly delivery wages, which were advertised at $18 to $25, and tried to mask the smaller wages by using customer tips to cover for the smaller hourly pay. The net effect was that the contract workers received smaller overall take-home pay, the agency said.

I'll say it again, no one becomes that rich without being pure evil.

There's no nice way to amount that much money.

I swear Oprah has her hand in a few holes being dug.

I'll say it again, no one becomes that rich without being pure evil.

There's no nice way to amount that much money.

I swear Oprah has her hand in a few holes being dug.
Well Amazon has destroyed so many small companies and other businesses. Top that off with the same wage and benefit problems as Walmart. Managing to pay ZERO in taxes thus far was no easy task too. I think the “evil” is obvious

Last edited:
Wish the article got more in depth

I’ve done amazon flex a bit. It’ll say for example base pay for the shift is $34-64 plus tips but I’ve only ever gotten the minimum. I’ve actually wondered why they even have the higher end rate up there if it never happens, even in bad weather or whatever

Wish the article got more in depth

I’ve done amazon flex a bit. It’ll say for example base pay for the shift is $34-64 plus tips but I’ve only ever gotten the minimum. I’ve actually wondered why they even have the higher end rate up there if it never happens, even in bad weather or whatever

Probably includes the peak raise mark which would probably take 20 years to hit.

Obviously no company is perfect, but it’s just hard to ignore the stories about how crappy Amazon treats it’s employees. I’m conflicted because they’ve provided a service during the pandemic that has helped my family out a lot. The same goes with walmart. Between the two of them my parents haven’t had to step foot in a store the last year because everything has either been curbside pick up or delivered right to the door. Since my parents are both high risk, this has been a huge blessing. Because of Amazon my mom was able to send lysol, toilet paper, gloves, and other supplies to my whole family and even some extended family when everything was sold out in stores. With that said, I probably won’t re-up my prime membership when it expires. Obviously you can’t know the ins and outs of every business, but Walmart and Amazon are in your face when it comes to being crap to it’s employees and I’d rather take my money elsewhere.

Amazon used to be all about the deals they had. Those deals are pretty much gone so now you’re really just paying for the no questions asked return policy. 120 a year ain’t worth that to me.

They’re also good if you like H&M quality clothes :lol:

Back
Top Bottom