AMC Theatres to Change Movie Ticket Prices Based on Seat Location

The country’s largest exhibition chain is rolling out Sightline at AMC, a ticket pricing initiative based on seat location within the auditorium. Similar to music concerts, sporting events or Broadway, moviegoers will have the option to pay more or less for admission depending on where they choose to sit in the venue. In effect, front row seats will be available at a lower price, while seats in the middle of the theater will be available at a higher price.

The initiative kicks off on Friday at select AMC locations in New York, Chicago and Kansas City and will be expanded to all domestic AMC locations by the end of the year.

There will be three different seat-pricing options. The first is Standard Sightline, described as the “seats that are the most common in auditoriums and are available for the traditional cost of a ticket.” Then there’s Value Sightline, referred to as “seats in the front row of the auditorium, as well as select ADA seats in each auditorium, and are available at a lower price than standard sightline seats.” (Value Sightline pricing is only available to AMC Stubs members, including the free tier membership.) The third option is Preferred Sightline, which are the “seats in the middle of the auditorium and are priced at a premium to standard sightline seats.” AMC Stubs A-List members will be able to reserve seats in the Preferred Sightline Section at no additional cost.

Theaters that offer Sightline at AMC are expected to provide a detailed seat map that outlines each seating option during the ticket purchase process online, on the AMC app and at the box office. Sightline at AMC is applied to all showtimes that begin after 4 p.m. at participating locations. It’s not applicable on Discount Tuesdays, when all movie tickets are discounted to $5.

“Sightline at AMC more closely aligns AMC’s seat pricing approach to that of many other entertainment venues, offering experienced-based pricing and another way for moviegoers to find value at the movies,” said Eliot Hamlisch, executive VP and CMO at AMC Theatres. “While every seat at AMC delivers an amazing moviegoing experience, we know there are some moviegoers who prioritize their specific seat and others who prioritize value moviegoing. Sightline at AMC accommodates both sentiments to help ensure that our guests have more control over their experience, so that every trip to an AMC is a great one.”

The Sightline initiative is the latest AMC Theatres experiment with movie ticket prices as cinemas struggle to recover from COVID. In 2022, the exhibitor charged $1 to $2 more for the opening weekend of Robert Pattinson’s “The Batman” compared to other movies playing at the same time. And last weekend, with the encouragement of Paramount, AMC offer matinee prices to every screening of “80 for Brady,” a comedy starring Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Rita Moreno and Sally Field.

I honestly only go to Movie Tavern! It's literally 10 minutes from me, and with assigned seats, can get there 10 minutes after the time listed to skip the trailers (if I've already seen them). And with the food they sell and being a member of their Rewards, I have gotten a plain thin crust pizza for like $6 (and it's actually decent. Lots of crunch). Plus Regal is closing 2 theaters near me, so the options are getting slim.

200w.gif

It’s still an experience for me. As long as the audience isn’t annoying, I’m always be a movie guy.

I def feel it. As a shorty it def was an experience for me. Being in awe and being surrounded by others watchin a movie. Then as a teen, the movies was just a way to get some action with a chick in the dark lol. Now Im just lazy man. I think I have crafted my living room to be so comfortable to my liking that its hard for me to want to get up and leave that setting to go drive 20 minutes away, pay $20 for a ticket, and $10 for popcorn and candy, and be sitting around a whole bunch of people....when I can just wait some weeks and do it at the crib.

I don’t think people really care. I bet most of us wouldn’t even notice if it wasn’t for this article.

You honestly don't think people will notice it costs $8 to sit in one place and $15 in another for the same showing?

It’s still an experience for me. As long as the audience isn’t annoying, I’m always be a movie guy.

Tay, I'm with you. It was always a big deal for me growing up. Certain movies really need to be seen on the big screen with all the crazy surround sound and everything. Luckily, for now, my Regal is still going strong, and their Unlimited membership is amazing.

Well as long as AMC's tiered pricing doesn't apply to A-Listers I'm good. If they do raise the price and/or try to charge a premium then I might have to cancel.

Well as long as AMC's tiered pricing doesn't apply to A-Listers I'm good. If they do raise the price and/or try to charge a premium then I might have to cancel.
What are you on about with this don’t tax the rich nonsense? :lol:

movies are already getting too expensive for me and the fam. last one we saw was avatar 2 and that cost us around $100 plus the price of the snacks we smuggled in.

last friday we watched wakanda at home and spent around $50 on pizza and snacks. plus we can pause when i gotta take my daughter to the bathroom.

i’m glad we saw avatar in the theater but damn….that **** adds up.

You honestly don't think people will notice it costs $8 to sit in one place and $15 in another for the same showing?
Nope. How many people noticed Doordash upcharged for items? How many people noticed and do it anyway? All they have to do is mention price may vary according to seating and not show the price until check out.

Meh, this would just make me annoyed. Push came to shove, I’d pay up for the seat I want since going to a theater is about the experience. Gotta say though, I’d probably not go to an AMC if I had a choice.

I haven't been to an AMC theater in years and it's going to stay that way. :smh: :lol:

Hope other theater chains don't start doing this.

Heard this has been a thing in the UK for a while but no one actually pays for the premium seats and once the movie starts people move to those seats.

I’m surprised how few of you go to the theaters. My wife and I love to go. Top Gun Maverick in the theaters was a whole different feel than when I watched it at home. Watched it 3x in the theaters. Same with Avatar - was an experience. It’s expensive but I don’t go to bars, clubs, concerts, etc so i guess it works out.

People are gonna definitely notice once you get to the pick your seat screen lol same way people see it coppin a flight and picking a seat, its gonna be right there

I’m surprised how few of you go to the theaters. My wife and I love to go. Top Gun Maverick in the theaters was a whole different feel than when I watched it at home. Watched it 3x in the theaters. Same with Avatar - was an experience. It’s expensive but I don’t go to bars, clubs, concerts, etc so i guess it works out.
I am A List member, so I try and watch a few movies a month. Always enjoy the big screen experience, especially, imax or dolby cinema. For me, I get value out of the membership

Back
Top Bottom