America is a "NATION OF COWARDS" when it comes to racial issues----United States Attorney General

03417963-4b4e-4f21-b144-5d75eaa2336e.jpg

Attorney General Eric Holder may have gone too far when he called the U.S. a "nation of cowards" during a speech at the Justice Department markingBlack History Month, say some political observers who say such language could drive race relations in the wrong direction.

The remarks by the country's first black attorney general may have ripped open a scab that President Obama's election and much of his rhetoric hadbuilt on top of long-running wounds, they say.

"Well. it seems to me that it is off-message," said Michael Meyers, executive director of the New York Civil Rights Coalition, a multi-racialnetwork of organizations that try to promote racial harmony and oppose all forms of bigotry. "I don't think Barack Obama believes that or would saythat. Obama has been saying there is one America, one race, the human race."

But others say he is doing what is expected -- addressing an issue that Obama's election has enabled to be discussed.

"This nation still is hypersensitive no matter what part of the spectrum you're on when it comes to the issue of race in this country," saidApril Ryan, White House correspondent for American Urban Radio Networks.

Ryan added that Holder said his department would help bridge the racial divide, noting that former President Clinton couldn't hold his race initiativeuntil his second term because it was considered a third rail.

Obama was forced to address the racial wounds of this country head-on during his presidential campaign last year when controversy erupted over theinflammatory sermons of his former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who blamed the Sept.11, 2001, terrorist attacks on America's history of racialoppression.

Obama said in what he deemed a major speech on race that mutual racial resentments remain over the legacy of slavery and affirmative action, but thatprogress in race relations had been achieved.

He urged the nation to break "a racial stalemate we've been stuck in for years" and bemoaned the "chasm of misunderstanding that existsbetween the races."

Holder cited that speech by Obama as part of the motivation for his words Wednesday, saying Americans need to overcome an ingrained inhibition againsttalking about race.

Race, Holder said, "is an issue we have never been at ease with and, given our nation's history, this is in some ways understandable. ... If we areto make progress in this area, we must feel comfortable enough with one another and tolerant enough of each other to have frank conversations about the racialmatters that continue to divide us."

In his speech, Holder urged people of all races to use Black History Month as a chance for honest discussion of racial matters, including issues of healthcare, education and economic disparities. He also used more blunt language.

"Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and I believe continue to be, in toomany ways, essentially a nation of cowards," Holder said.

Matt Miller, a spokesman for Holder, said later the attorney general used "provocative words to be clear that Americans of all races should stopavoiding the difficult issues of race."

Meyers said Holder's speech signals to him "that this attorney general is profoundly left in the dark and in the past about race."

"Race ain't what it used to be in America. We've changed. We have the first African American president and the first African American attorneygeneral. Wake up, Mr. Holder! Wake up!" Meyers said.

But FOX News contributor Juan Williams said he understood what Holder was saying when he said the workplace is largely integrated but Americans stillself-segregate on the weekends and in their private lives.

Echoing the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., Williams said the 11:00 hour on Sundays in church is the most segregated hour during the country's week.

"Even our best colleges," Williams said. "How come all the Asian kids are here, the black kids are here, the Jewish kids are there? They livein a self-enforced segregation and I think he's saying we need to have more conversation, more honestly about that kind of racial separation."

Williams added that Holder is signaling that he will use his position to address concerns about the diminution of the civil rights division in hisdepartment.

"I think what he was saying is the civil rights division is going to be vigilant in making sure we don't have a situation where there isdiscrimination taking place and law enforcement is turning a blind eye."

If we are to make progress in this area, we must feel comfortable enough with one another and tolerant enough of each other to have frank conversations about the racial matters that continue to divide us."

That's really what he was getting at I believe. People may have strong opinions and feelings but are afraid to express them so as to not ruffle feathersand keep the status quo so to speak. In a way he is perhaps just imploring people to start expressing their thoughts.

I think people just need to leave the race issue alone and don't fuel the fire.
Get rid of these "race only" universities, organizations, associations, coalitions, etc.

Posts like "What do White people find funny?" Or "Light Skinned People" are ridiculous. Why would what a white person finds funny bedifferent than what a black person would find funny? Seriously, stuff like that is juvenile.

If people want racism to go away, they need to stop giving people things to talk about and things to argue over.

It'll probably never happen though...
smh.gif

i agree with him...cause racial issues in this country are almost taboo... we just sweep them under a rug

He urged the nation to break "a racial stalemate we've been stuck in for years" and bemoaned the "chasm of misunderstanding that exists between the races."

Holder cited that speech by Obama as part of the motivation for his words Wednesday, saying Americans need to overcome an ingrained inhibition against talking about race.

Race, Holder said, "is an issue we have never been at ease with and, given our nation's history, this is in some ways understandable. ... If we are to make progress in this area, we must feel comfortable enough with one another and tolerant enough of each other to have frank conversations about the racial matters that continue to divide us."

In his speech, Holder urged people of all races to use Black History Month as a chance for honest discussion of racial matters, including issues of health care, education and economic disparities. He also used more blunt language.

"Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and I believe continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards," Holder said.

Matt Miller, a spokesman for Holder, said later the attorney general used "provocative words to be clear that Americans of all races should stop avoiding the difficult issues of race."

I could not agree more.

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

Get rid of these "race only" universities, organizations, associations, coalitions, etc.

If people want racism to go away, they need to stop giving people things to talk about and things to argue over.

smh.gif

This is exactly what he is referring to. Its there in front of you, so why not talk about it? Why leave it alone? Out of sight, out of mind does not promoteor make change.

I've been looking at this headline on the front page of Drudge all day and was almost happy that no one on NT noticed it.
tired.gif

I won't say he is totally wrong, but there is a time and place to say everything...

smh.gif
i feel you on maybe the universities. but even thats not exclusive plenty of whites and what not go to hbcu. and about the organziation i defdisagree. when i go to law school im def joining the black law students association. cause i was looking at some look books and i was so sad to see 3 diffschools 08 grad class for a total of 6 black people out of atleast 150 people stuff like the blsa helps make you feel like not such an alien in yourenvironment. and make connections in your community.
those organizations aren't about keeping people out its more about bringing people together. i could also joing the hispanic law school organizations beinga black hispanic so i might do that to
roll.gif

He's right! cause when it comes to talking about slavery or the civil rights movement a good percentage of non black people say "oh that was back thenget over it". But tell a jewish person that about the holocust and see what happens. anything that makes white people look bad in history is always atouchy subject thats why they try to keep that on the hush,hush. like dirty's thread about the japanese camps in america most avg americans dont enen knowthat, that happened.

TBONE stay posting and giving talking points from Drudge Report. I mean dang son everyday you gotta post a highlighter story from Drudge

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

Wait, but, my president is BLACK....

Speaking of that I've never met a black person let alone a democrat during and after this election who assumed that race relations was suddenly going tofix themselves after this election. Where exactly did Republicans come across these people? Because I've heard plenty of Republicans say it over and overand I have yet to see or meet these people your sarcastically referring to. If my assumption is wrong and your sarcastically referring to something else thenignore the question.

Posts like "What do White people find funny?" Or "Light Skinned People" are ridiculous. Why would what a white person finds funny be different than what a black person would find funny? Seriously, stuff like that is juvenile.

smh.gif
our differences are what make us beautiful, and your a dam fool if you cant see the difference between white and black humor...

its like a humor difference between age groups... it happens...

Originally Posted by TkTheGirl

Speaking of that I've never met a black person let alone a democrat during and after this election who assumed that race relations was suddenly going to fix themselves after this election. Where exactly did Republicans come across these people? Because I've heard plenty of Republicans say it over and over and I have yet to see or meet these people your sarcastically referring to. If my assumption is wrong and your sarcastically referring to something else then ignore the question.

Martin Luther King Jr. was a Republican and so was his father. Democratic Party started the KKK.

That's the spirit champ, now if you can just spread that message to the rest of your brethren we've be in better shape. Glad to see you finally camearound, better late than never
happy.gif

Speaking of that I've never met a black person let alone a democrat during and after this election who assumed that race relations was suddenly going to fix themselves after this election. Where exactly did Republicans come across these people? Because I've heard plenty of Republicans say it over and over and I have yet to see or meet these people your sarcastically referring to. If my assumption is wrong and your sarcastically referring to something else then ignore the question.

Martin Luther King Jr. was a Republican and so was his father. Democratic Party started the KKK.

How does that relate to question I asked or your original statement?

That doesn't have an relevance to her statement. Republicans deserted blacks during reconstruction, and the only reason any blacks were loyalto them was because it was the party of Lincoln. I don't see what the politic shift that happened around when FDR took office has to do with this argument.Then again when are your/TBONEs arguments EVERY coherent?
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom