America restaurant bubble is about to pop vol: the end of another golden age

Au Cheval... So damn good.
Best burger I've ever had. Hands down.
Yes, I've had In & Out.

Add Roost Carolina Kitchen, Bavette's, Ramen San, Wasabi, Oiistar, Yuzu, green street smoked meats, purple pig, peaquods, Big Star... plenty more
Hell yes to all of your restaurants....so many great choices here.

Au Cheval is fire. Can't decide if its better than Kuma's though. A place I totally forgot about is Cafecito. Used it hit it frequently for lunch at work , stopped going, but went again and its still awesome.

Been trying to find some more hispanic food. Not too easy in the loop and all those hole in the wall places taste the same. Might have to venture around

Au Cheval definitely has Kuma's beat in my opinion.
Their burger is simple and effective. Kuma's has a little too much going on on most burgers for my taste but it's respected.

Cafecito JUST opened up across the street from my job [in the Hancock] and quickly became the company-wide go-to for lunch/breakfast. Simple, really good, inexpensive sandwiches. Had it last week actually... the "Chivito" is my favorite - steak, ham, bacon, mozzarella, fried egg, chipotle mayo, and onions.

Hell yes to all of your restaurants....so many great choices here.

Haven't tried Au cheval, but small cheval is Klutch!
Kumas, overrated and the staff who's thinks their ***** dontstink please. Tried it once not good enough to go back. You got the spot for Dim sum, one of the best. Wanting to try that chicken spot roost on Irving.
Won't lie Cheval was pricy, $50 for 3burgers,2shakes,2fires. But the flavor was their.

Last edited:
Haven't tried Au cheval, but small cheval is Klutch!
Kumas, overrated and the staff who's thinks their ***** dontstink please. Tried it once not good enough to go back. You got the spot for Dim sum, one of the best. Wanting to try that chicken spot roost on Irving.

Small Cheval is like a dollar menu version of the full restaurant's burger. I encourage you to try it. They have tons of other good options too.

Roost is on Irving? I've only had the one on Grand. Get it delivered to the job sometimes. Productivity is at an all time low after lunch.

Yea the burger was small. But was tasty and has me wanting more. Yea they have a roost on Irving east of Ashland. Been eyeing it as I love my fired chicken. Throw Crisp on the list for chicken Korean wings. Now that's a wing! Put smoques for bbq.

Rent is what kills you. I know two different places that closed their doors because they were each paying 30k a month for rent.

They both have other places that kill it. They were just over paying that much for rent.

Yea the burger was small. But was tasty and has me wanting more. Yea they have a roost on Irving east of Ashland. Been eyeing it as I love my fired chicken. Throw Crisp on the list for chicken Korean wings. Now that's a wing! Put smoques for bbq.
The OG Korean chicken wing spot in Chicago is Great Seas....you should give that a shot sometimes. 

I like Smoque, but they do their brisket in an oven, so i can't respect that too much.  

Many of the good Asian and Latino restaurants that couldn't afford rent any longer in SF have disappeared from the city and have been replaced by trash white-washed restaurants that charge double/triple for the same type of food and lure in customers with a nice or hipster decor. The new restaurants can survive because all the Midwesterners with no taste buds have moved into the neighborhoods and do things like pay $10 for a garbage banh mi sandwich, when you can get the real thing (which tastes 100x better) for $3-4 in the South and East Bay.

I literally never go out to eat in SF anymore, even though I still live only 20 mins away after moving out.

Those are the absolute worst. Last year, My homegirl who is white/black, her friend and i were in downtown Sac and they were hungry. They decide to go to the sandwich place they go to for lunch time (place is owned by a white dude). Told them to order me a CocaCola since i wasn't hungry and went to say what up to my homie who works down the street. I come back and ask them what they ordered. They said a combination banh mi. I laugh and said that's not a banh mi. Everything was wrong with it. From the bread to the meat to the veggies. The daikon and carrots weren't even pickled and are the size of french fries :rofl:....$9.75 :x...i did have a picture of the sandwich on my Instagram but deleted it cause I was embarrassing her.

Took them to duc huong in South Sac for the real banh mi the following weekend. They were surprised it was only $3.75. Both got the banh mi Thit Nuong and I got the banh mi dac biet. They took a bite of their banh mi and their reaction was :wow:... After they were done eating, each ordered one to go lol. From that day on, they have been buying the banh mi and exploring Vietnamese restaurants in South Sac.

It's like some sort of abused mentality that Americans have, blame your underpaid employee, not the predatory landlord. I'm trying to figure out when the mentality to blame poor people for the nation's ills began.
sometimes I feel I'm the only one who sees this. Makes no sense.

Yep, and it's not going to get better in the next 4 years.

The OG Korean chicken wing spot in Chicago is Great Seas....you should give that a shot sometimes. 

I like Smoque, but they do their brisket in an oven, so i can't respect that too much.  

Great sea on Lawrence?? Yup thts is the Og!
Kind of a whole in the wall spot but wings[emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]127798[/emoji][emoji]127798[/emoji]
Found tht joint years back. [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji]

A lot of these spaces that owners are rented out are managed by Property Management Companies and in a lot of cases the properties are owned by foreigners. Property Management Companies are hired based on their ability to turn a profit. If they don't, another company will. So, Property Management Companies are in no position to look out for the tenants.

I'm not sure about the conclusion that the reason for restaurants failing is the cost of labor. They skim over the fact that rent is killing them. To me that's the biggest difference between business now and 20 years ago - you can't just borrow a little money and open up a small business, work hard and expand - because you're paying way too much of your turnover in rent so that someone can sit at home and profit from your efforts. Just because they bought a building when it was cheap doesn't make them more deserving. It's not going to get better either - it's hard for folks nowadays to start a business mainly because of that.

He mentions that in the part where he talks about the lease expiring and then tripling the rent - but to me it's the most important reason, and screwing us all over.

Good POV...

Not in any order:

Honey Butter Fried Chicken
Au Cheval
Lula's Cafe
Roister
Longman and Eagle
Ming Hin for dimsum
Double Happiness for the Dry noodles
Sun Wah for the $40 dollar duck special (slice meat off and served with steamed buns, then use carcass for soup and fried rice).  
New Asia Restaurant for the bone in chicken Pho and Chicken salad
Tacos San Juanito for the Al Pastor
Noon O Kabob for Persian

Breweries: 
Revolution
Half Acre
Haymarket
Lagunitas
Finch's 

Alot more to list hahaha

Kumas is still king to me. All 4 locations.
+1 on Longman
Roister was my most memorable meal of the year this year.
Real Urban BBQ is solid for suburban

Best BBQ in Chicago is Real Urban BBQ. Skokie location up in Feb. Otherwise you have to go Oak Brook, Highland Park or Vernon Hills.

Cuba 312 in Roscoe Village is fire too for a mixture of modern Puerto Rican & Cuban food.... Plus its BYOB

Try the Jibarito... You won't be disappointed @officialcuba312  on IG

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom