American Express Charge Card

I am wondering if anyone here know what criteria you have to meet to get an American Express Charge Card. I'm talking about the ones you have to pay infull at the end of each month.

Thanks

I want a charge card. Not a credit card or airline rewards card. I don't really know the options they have for charge cards. If it matters I am 19 andnever had a credit card before. The reason I want a charge card is because I know I have to pay it in full at the end of the month.

The exact criteria is really difficult to determine but you need real good credit to get an AMEX.
I would say your credit score has to be in th 700's and being 19 and never having a credit card before will hurt you in this situation.
AMEX, for some reason, will find you if you are qualified at least in my case.
I got an offer in the mail and I gave it a shot and got accepted.

I really would suggest going with Capital One or a CC that would give you a low limit and build your credit up from there.
Good luck!

Originally Posted by RFX45

The exact criteria is really difficult to determine but you need real good credit to get an AMEX.
I would say your credit score has to be in th 700's and being 19 and never having a credit card before will hurt you in this situation.
AMEX, for some reason, will find you if you are qualified at least in my case.
I got an offer in the mail and I gave it a shot and got accepted.

I really would suggest going with Capital One or a CC that would give you a low limit and build your credit up from there.
Good luck!
laugh.gif
Yeah I heard AMEX is the hardest one to get. I didn't get one until 2006, about 3 years after I had my first credit card.

They monitored my activities like a hawk for the first several months too. I used it to buy a Mac, and got a call about 5 mins later to make sure that it wasintended. Same thing happened the next month when I bought wheels.

had a CC for about a year and applied for basic green charge card. i was 19, got accepted. comes in handy.
i dont think its that stringent to get one.

amex will find you if you are qualified to roll with them. as far as i know. a green card should be easy to get for starters though.

they had offered me 4 different cards and i just roll with the clear card, im good with that for now.

they did not find me till about about 3 years ago, first the offer for the green card came, then the gold, then the new card called "one", then theplatinum offer came... when i got the offer for the gold, i called and asked if i could get the clear, was approved instantly.

i think the plat was offered cause when i use the clear, i pay the balance in full, although on that card, there is a minimum payment, i just pay the cardbalance monthly.

credit score close to 800.

build your credit now, when you are young, it will open a lot of doors for you later in your life. buy stuff on your card, pay it off and buy more stuff andpay it off. do not max out your cards, always pay them back to zero, pay more than your minimum, pay early or on time and build your credit history. if youdont have the money in the bank to cover what you are charging, you should not buy that item!

i learned that the hard way at age 18. finally i rebuild my credit and its is strong as hell.

Originally Posted by TheGr8BlkHope

had a CC for about a year and applied for basic green charge card. i was 19, got accepted. comes in handy.

How long have you been working?
Because trust me, if you haven't had a job long, when the review your account with their annual credit review, they'll close your account withoutnotice.

Also, I believe AMEX charge cards has an annual fee. They only usually waive the first year fee.

Also, I believe AMEX charge cards has an annual fee. They only usually waive the first year fee.

not all of them do... clear does not, plat optimum doesnt it ...

green, plat, gold... do.. a lot of them do actually but there are a few that don't

Originally Posted by stillmaticshay

green, plat, gold... do.. a lot of them do actually but there are a few that don't

But those aren't Charge Cards, those are Credit Cards. All of the Charge Cards have annual fees, most of the them are waived the first year.

If AMEX is going to to be your first Charge or Credit card, good luck on getting accepted. They won't accept anyone who doesn't have proof to pay offbills.

Originally Posted by LLC Money

It really isn't as hard as some of you are making out to be. I'm sure now its easier than ever too. I had a green card early in college with very little credit, upgraded to a gold card before graduating and now have a platinum personal and a gold business card. Unless you are going to use your reward points or travel frequently each step up really is nothing more than a larger anual fee and I guess to some a "status upgrade"
eyes.gif
They kill me with the constant promotions, contests, upgrade offers, etc. etc. There are definitely pros and cons to AMEX. Once you are a member and you pay a handful of bills on time though you can upgrade at ease, it's kind of a joke truthfully
laugh.gif
This is why I never upgraded from my Gold. I would never benefit from anything else to make the more expensive annual fee worth while. I do lovetheir customer service and the point system. Just redeemed 40,000 points in the last month or so for gift cards.

Originally Posted by therenegade23

Originally Posted by stillmaticshay

But those aren't Charge Cards, those are Credit Cards. All of the Charge Cards have annual fees, most of the them are waived the first year.

If AMEX is going to to be your first Charge or Credit card, good luck on getting accepted. They won't accept anyone who doesn't have proof to pay off bills.

^ Man speaks the truth... I waited 2 years before applying for AMEX. 19 years old with no job = denied.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by TheGr8BlkHope

How long have you been working?
Because trust me, if you haven't had a job long, when the review your account with their annual credit review, they'll close your account without notice.

i had only worked for a year. got my first job when i was 18. first year the annual fee was waived but now its $100/year. ive declined upgradeoffers because i honestly dont feel i need them. im 22 now and havent been closed yet. this thread reminded me that my annual feel is coming up though.

Thinking of applying for an AMEX pretty soon.

I've been working for 2 years now and have had a CC for about a year and some change as well.

Just like everyone else is saying it shouldn't be too hard to get the basic card. I have the platinum amex it works great for me because even when I had aregular credit card I always paid my balance off. The rewards are great. But there seems to be several places that don't accept Amex because they havehigher service fees. I travel alot and cool thing is the card gets you into the lounges. And if you fly first class you can get free a campanion ticket. Thebest thing though is the extended warranty saved me $1200.

Originally Posted by cdicevt

Just like everyone else is saying it shouldn't be too hard to get the basic card. I have the platinum amex it works great for me because even when I had a regular credit card I always paid my balance off. The rewards are great. But there seems to be several places that don't accept Amex because they have higher service fees. I travel alot and cool thing is the card gets you into the lounges. And if you fly first class you can get free a campanion ticket. The best thing though is the extended warranty saved me $1200.

What do you mean by the lounges? also how did it save you $1200?

Have a Platinum and Plum... It's not as prestigious as people make it out to be. I don't even use them anymore... Better to just use cash, might aswell if you have to pay it off at the end of the month.

Not sure what this is but why not just get a credit card and pay in full anyways? Build up your credit!

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by LLC Money

It really isn't as hard as some of you are making out to be. I'm sure now its easier than ever too. I had a green card early in college with very little credit, upgraded to a gold card before graduating and now have a platinum personal and a gold business card. Unless you are going to use your reward points or travel frequently each step up really is nothing more than a larger anual fee and I guess to some a "status upgrade"
eyes.gif
They kill me with the constant promotions, contests, upgrade offers, etc. etc. There are definitely pros and cons to AMEX. Once you are a member and you pay a handful of bills on time though you can upgrade at ease, it's kind of a joke truthfully
laugh.gif
This is why I never upgraded from my Gold. I would never benefit from anything else to make the more expensive annual fee worth while. I do love their customer service and the point system. Just redeemed 40,000 points in the last month or so for gift cards.

Indeed...They need to stop sending me Platinum offers...I'll never upgrade from my Gold card.

Back
Top Bottom