Americas First Fully Automated Restaurant (McDonalds)

As a nurse working in the ICU.. we ain’t close to having robots doing what we’re doing. There’s a lot of assessment, critical thinking, troubleshooting that goes on constantly that current AI isn’t close to yet. Every wound ain’t treated the same, every IV Gonna be different. “Air in line” alarming on the IV pump, flow occluded on the feeding tube, y’all trust the robot to figure it out?

Nursing ain’t flipping burgers, mess something up and people die

Krispy Kreme CEO: Robots will start frosting and filling doughnuts 'within the next 18 months’​

Krispy Kreme (DNUT) is aiming to cut time in its doughnut production line through automation.

"Probably within the next 18 months, you'll see some automation starting to go into the frosting, the filling, the sprinkles, and even the packaging," Krispy Kreme CEO Mike Tattersfield told Yahoo Finance Live (video above).

The Winston-Salem, North Carolina-based company announced the investment as part of its Investor Day, along with its long-term outlook of generating $2.15 billion in revenue by fiscal year 2026.

The addition of robots is part of an effort to maximize the fresh hub and spoke model opportunity in the United States, and increase points of access to deliver-fresh-daily (DFD) to grocery stories, convenience stores, quick-serve restaurants, and other locations. With this model, customers can get full-sized doughnuts produced that day, locally, without going to a Krispy Kreme location.

Krispy Kreme (DNUT) is aiming to cut time in its doughnut production line through automation.
"Probably within the next 18 months, you'll see some automation starting to go into the frosting, the filling, the sprinkles, and even the packaging," Krispy Kreme CEO Mike Tattersfield told Yahoo Finance Live (video above).
The Winston-Salem, North Carolina-based company announced the investment as part of its Investor Day, along with its long-term outlook of generating $2.15 billion in revenue by fiscal year 2026.
The addition of robots is part of an effort to maximize the fresh hub and spoke model opportunity in the United States, and increase points of access to deliver-fresh-daily (DFD) to grocery stories, convenience stores, quick-serve restaurants, and other locations. With this model, customers can get full-sized doughnuts produced that day, locally, without going to a Krispy Kreme location.

"We've got some pretty big factory stores...we do 12,000 points of access today, which get fresh doughnuts globally," Tattersfield said, emphasizing the major undertaking it is to get so many fresh doughnuts to the various locations. "You need to start looking at what the automation capacity of that is because it is going to the grocers. It is going to the convenience shops."
By 2022 fiscal-year end, Krispy Kreme estimated it will have roughly 5,400 points of access in 30 countries, bringing in approximately $475 million in total revenue. By 2026, it's projecting more than 12,000 points of access in 45 countries, with plans to bring in more than $660 million in revenue.
Meanwhile, automated lines — which would produce 18% of Krispy Kreme doughnuts within the next 18-month period — are expected to result in $2 million of annual savings on a $6 million investment.

Taking the 'repetitive task out of the business' for employees​

J.P. Morgan Analyst John Ivankoe, who has an Overweight rating on Krispy Kreme stock and lowered its price target to $13.00 from $15.00 last week, noted that the doughnut company currently spends more than $100 million on doughnut production labor in the U.S., of which "$60 million is related to post-production labor that includes inline icing, inline filling and traying/boxing functions which can be automated."
Despite these automation plans, though, Tattersfield stressed that Krispy Kreme employees — also known as Krispy Kremers and Insomniacs (employees behind its Insomnia cookies business) — are still at the core of the business with the intention to cut out tedious tasks.

"We still are going to continue to drive the experience side with our Krispy Kremers and Insomniacs, so I always find that when companies do a great job, they're balanced in how they try to do that and you try to get the repetitive task out of the business," he said.

And in a competitive environment to recruit and maintain talent, Tattersfield said, the ability to grow as an employee is what sets someone apart.

"It's really about the growth opportunity," he explained. "When you're in a company of our size that even, today, it's still just 400+ producing doughnut shops with a long trajectory of growth ... that growth across country becomes a very attractive proposition. I love to see that our doughnut shop managers are now owners."

This is :smokin and the type of innovation I prefer to pursue when left to my own devices:

J.P. Morgan Analyst John Ivankoe, who has an Overweight rating on Krispy Kreme stock and lowered its price target to $13.00 from $15.00 last week, noted that the doughnut company currently spends more than $100 million on doughnut production labor in the U.S., of which "$60 million is related to post-production labor that includes inline icing, inline filling and traying/boxing functions which can be automated."
Despite these automation plans, though, Tattersfield stressed that Krispy Kreme employees — also known as Krispy Kremers and Insomniacs (employees behind its Insomnia cookies business) — are still at the core of the business with the intention to cut out tedious tasks.

"We still are going to continue to drive the experience side with our Krispy Kremers and Insomniacs, so I always find that when companies do a great job, they're balanced in how they try to do that and you try to get the repetitive task out of the business," he said.

And in a competitive environment to recruit and maintain talent, Tattersfield said, the ability to grow as an employee is what sets someone apart.

I would very much contend this is a “responsible” and “reasonable” use of automation.

This is :smokin and the type of innovation I prefer to pursue when left to my own devices:

I would very much contend this is a “responsible” and “reasonable” use of automation.
As long as employees are still the primary focus, I’m all good with it.

As long as employees are still the primary focus, I’m all good with it.

Exactly. I care about people first because without the employees there is no business. Not exactly the same but it has only been a couple of months and we are hearing about how Elon Musk’s mass firing wasn’t such a good idea because they lost “tribal knowledge” in certain areas.

A majority of folks think of automation as way of eliminating jobs whereas I think of it as a way to take a routine or mundane task off an employees plate to do something more value adding and stimulating/interesting to them that could positively contribute to the business. Essentially shouldn’t be a people replacer but rather a people enhancer. Win-win for everybody.

Honestly I thought that process of frosting, filling, sprinkling and packaging was already automated in a place like Krispy Kreme

Man, you would be surprised how antiquated some of the technology and operations are at some of the more at well-known companies in the world. I personally think it comes from the folks at the top being from older generations and a combination of not fully understanding (or even attempting to) the tech, a general unwilling to embrace innovation, being too cheap to invest in new tech for the two aforementioned reasons and the “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it”/“back in my day” mindset.

It’s a significant reason why Elon Musk is even a thing in the automotive and space industries - he does things differently that the old guard that allow him to move faster but in his case he what appears to “innovation” is really cutting corners and faking the funk in a lot of cases. But the point is, it’s the younger companies that are utilizing a lot of the new tech and when executives start feeling the heat they just go to corporate to do market intelligence and swoop up the best startup they can afford and successful mergers and acquisitions are a jump ball in terms of getting whatever it is you needed fully integrated into your business.

There’s so much that can be done in my industry and I know I could start a company that could compete but the problem is that it is entirely too capital intensive. Like even Pre-Twitter acquisition money wouldn’t be enough. I would have to partner with a country outside of the Us and that’s where things get dicey but yet again that’s another reason why some of these companies haven’t fully embraced automation or innovation - they know they don’t have to (yet) because of barrier to entry and/or their competitive advantage against anyone who popped up.

I think truck driving will be completely automated at some point. Obviously, you’ll need someone to load them but self driving vehicles are one of the first things I expect to be automated quickly.
As a driver, a company like Amazon, sending a load from 1 warehouse to another… definitely. But truck driving as a whole it’s no way. Especially local drivers. U may be able to get away with it for over the road A to B guys but even then it’ll have to be the Kroger warehouse to the Kroger store, but then you’ll need an actual driver to come out and back it in.

Honestly I thought that process of frosting, filling, sprinkling and packaging was already automated in a place like Krispy Kreme

all the Krispy Kremes near me have the viewable conveyor belt fryer with the delicious looking frosting curtain they all move under. a human at the end of the line packages them into boxes though.

but I guess the sprinkled or other specialty donuts gotta be made by hand

I would love to know the numbers these companies would have to spend to be fully automated vs the money they spend on actual employees.

I don't see this being a good thing for low skill jobs in the future

I would love to know the numbers these companies would have to spend to be fully automated vs the money they spend on actual employees.

I don't see this being a good thing for low skill jobs in the future

The cost of automation will inevitably go down and it would undoubtedly be cheaper with no OT, health benefits, anything savings related, etc.

whoever said McDonald's can't even keep their ice cream machines running yet we expect automated restaurants to run smoothly anytime soon had a funny *** point.

trusting robonurse with your life
nah fam

The healthcare worker shortage is that bad, people think this is a viable option? You can replace the human aspect of some of these jobs. Robots however can help with tasks like food and drug delivery.

Besides dont take away the patient satisfaction of inappropriately exposing themselves to doctors and nurses. It doesnt hit the same with robots.

Back
Top Bottom