Americas First Fully Automated Restaurant (McDonalds)

Wow, thanks for sharing bro! I had no idea this was a thing :wow: If I am understanding the video correctly, the beta is somewhat limited in capability (temperature and biometrics) so it would have a long way to go to fully replace real nurses but the blueprint is definitely there.

Im honestly kind of saddened to read the responses in here.

It shows how absolutely we are tied to the concept of meaningless work equating to living. The 40 hour work week concept.

I’m an optimist but what I hope is we continue down this path at increased velocity and eventually most of this sort of work is automated. Even self checkout is much better to me nowadays than waiting at the checkout counter. And that’s not even close to the true automation that can be done.

I hope that eventually we do so much that we realize that we are able to have housing and food at extremely low levels of cost as a society. And we decide as a society that let’s make those commodities. Everyone just gets a house / food is pretty much free and no one has to work “40” hours every week just to be able to have those two basic needs.

I think that’s the true definition of a developed nation to me. People can choose to work on top of that if they want more of course but it’s has to be something that is more value add and not just rote work like this.

In my mind what I see is:
Huge automated production kitchen that generates out meals that are able to picked up for free or super low costs. Full healthy normal meals of varied types (eg what we call fast food today).

And then all that’s left is the more niche market of a true restaurant. A sit down experience with people.

That’s just one aspect of society^ but to me we’re replacing superficial fake “society” with a more intimate real one then where the moments we spend together aren’t just doing unnatural things like flipping burgers for 8 hours.

And i’m a realist - get there’s pain to the above scenario initially but the long run betterment of society is the trade off. And i know it’s unrealistic because of human green…but i see that in my mind the way a prototype car is. Something to hope and dream against.

Are your talking about fully automated completely eradicating the need for human beings? I am in agreement that there will be widespread automation but some of those fields you mentioned….will never be fully automated without humans you actually made a really good example of why they won’t - pilots. It’s 2022. Airbus and Boeing aircraft fly themselves but there will forever be the need for pilots for if/when things go awry. I would contend the same for truck drivers because those things are so massive and sometimes carry hazardous materials so it would be prudent if not necessary for them (similar to airplanes).

Soldiers would ACTUALLY be a good thing because it would be saving lives but when those robot soldiers go AWOL and start going after civilians, it’s problematic for both sides in the war (unless they are some hat intentionally designed to get rid of humans because of the rise of automation).

I don’t know how you automate teaching, that would would take hella advanced AI and i also thing you may lose things. I think of it akin to an online class with no real professor. Just modules speaking to you. I have taken them as an adult and was fine but can’t say the same would apply to children. I am similarly unsure of how nursing would be automated. What did you have in mind?

I think where we differ in opinion is the degree and scale of automation. I think there are some jobs like the ones you mentioned that just innately require human oversight.
I think truck driving will be completely automated at some point. Obviously, you’ll need someone to load them but self driving vehicles are one of the first things I expect to be automated quickly.

It shows how absolutely we are tied to the concept of meaningless work equating to living. The 40 hour work week concept.

I’m an optimist but what I hope is we continue down this path at increased velocity and eventually most of this sort of work is automated. Even self checkout is much better to me nowadays than waiting at the checkout counter. And that’s not even close to the true automation that can be done.

I hope that eventually we do so much that we realize that we are able to have housing and food at extremely low levels of cost as a society. And we decide as a society that let’s make those commodities. Everyone just gets a house / food is pretty much free and no one has to work “40” hours every week just to be able to have those two basic needs.

I think that’s the true definition of a developed nation to me. People can choose to work on top of that if they want more of course but it’s has to be something that is more value add and not just rote work like this.

Huge automated production kitchen that generates out meals that are able to picked up for free or super low costs. Full healthy normal meals of varied types (eg what we call fast food today).

And then all that’s left is the more niche market of a true restaurant. A sit down experience with people.

That’s just one aspect of society^ but to me we’re replacing superficial fake “society” with a more intimate real one then where the moments we spend together aren’t just doing unnatural things like flipping burgers for 8 hours.

And i’m a realist - get there’s pain to the above scenario initially but the long run betterment of society is the trade off. And i know it’s unrealistic because of human green…but i see that in my mind the way a prototype car is. Something to hope and dream against.
All that sounds good but increased automation isn’t gonna result in housing and food at lower costs. With how society operates, what makes you think we’re headed in that direction?

I honestly love the optimism and vision but as long as capitalism exists THEY won’t let this happen in America. IMO I think more folks need to think about this and ways they can make themselves un-automatable

I think truck driving will be completely automated at some point. Obviously, you’ll need someone to load them but self driving vehicles are one of the first things I expect to be automated quickly.

To give an accurate opinion I would need to know more about where we are with autonomous vehicles today. However, this week I saw a headline on my TV about how Sky Harbor (the Phoenix airport) was the first to offer driverless cab rides. I didn’t know or think we were at that point but I guess so.

My concern has always been the mix of driverless cars and human-operated cars on the road because of the potential differences in thinking, mentality and overall operation. Also, beyond wiping out jobs I also question if the output and quality of services will be the same and if not, how close?

To give an accurate opinion I would need to know more about where we are with autonomous vehicles today. However, this week I saw a headline on my TV about how Sky Harbor (the Phoenix airport) was the first to offer driverless cab rides. I didn’t know or think we were at that point but I guess so.

My concern has always been the mix of driverless cars and human-operated cars on the road because of the potential differences in thinking, mentality and overall operation. Also, beyond wiping out jobs I also question if the output and quality of services will be the same and if not, how close?
Just look at how long ago driverless cars was a concept to where it is now. It didn’t take long. And the technology is only getting better.

You can’t even keep leases Tesla Model 3’s because Elon wants to use them for his driving service.

Automated driving and basic things like grocery stores and fast food is step one. Mom and pop establishments will take advantage of this too.

Just look at how long ago driverless cars was a concept to where it is now. It didn’t take long. And the technology is only getting better.

You can’t even keep leases Tesla Model 3’s because Elon wants to use them for his driving service.

Automated driving and basic things like grocery stores and fast food is step one. Mom and pop establishments will take advantage of this too.

IIRC Elon had a demo of his driverless tech and the video looked cool but reports came out later that it took multiple tries and even the final product we saw that appeared seamless wasn’t an accurate representation of where they are. That is just Tesla who I wouldn’t trust anyway.

I’m not denying driverless passenger vehicles are close to hitting the scene but you also have to factor in the rate at which they will hit the road. 2021 was a bad year all around so let’s look the next most recent relevant year: 2020. 14.7 million cars were sold but only 3.4 were new cars (roughly 25%). Even car sales return to their peak of 17.5 million that’s only 4.4 million cars per year. How many of those will actually be autonomous? Will it be select vehicles or an option on entire fleets?

Keep in mind there are about 291 million cars in the US so autonomous passenger vehicles will be a drop in the bucket for awhile. Now for companies like Uber, Lyft, whatever Elon comes up with, etc. they can get a lot of the technology from its inception like you mentioned but for most Americans, it’s not going to be a thing for awhile.

Man pay your ****ing car note before you hop out judging people.
1671911444203.gif

lot of jobs will become automated but new jobs will appear. A lot of jobs became extinct but a lot of new jobs were born along the way
I mean there used to be a ice cutter, lamp lighter, switchboard operator, telegrapher, elevator operator..........

lot of jobs will become automated but new jobs will appear. A lot of jobs became extinct but a lot of new jobs were born along the way
I mean there used to be a ice cutter, lamp lighter, switchboard operator, telegrapher, elevator operator..........

Yeah that’s a great point. Plus I imagine they will need folks to maintain said robots so it would behoove those at immediate risk to start looking into computer-related and robotics courses to stay one step ahead. It’s almost 2023 so there is plenty of free content available for folks to consume out there from the comfort of their own homes.

How am I supposed to have a performance review with a robot, though?!?

Customer service is at an all time low… jobs don’t pay enough to deal with idiotic customers…

May as well bring automation.

Past 21 and still working fast food or retail?
Probably
-Had kids young
-Pack a day Smoker
-Tatted Up
-Perc/Xan/Addy/Weed user

Can't really feel sorry for them

You think JUST fast food workers do this??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl:

Lawyers, and Doctors the biggest cocaine users and junkies….

You just compiled a list of things that some of the biggest execs and CEOs use and abuse everyday.

But, I forgot we live in a America where people look down upon you based off your job.

I bet you can’t even change a tire or tie a knot :lol: :lol:

UBI's not gonna be a problem when the time comes. Money's gonna become digital and theyre just gonna put "credits" in your account so you can get by. If you want a better lifestyle, gonna have to work. But that aint gonna happen for at least 20 years, for now they need people working

You think JUST fast food workers do this??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl:

Lawyers, and Doctors the biggest cocaine users and junkies….

You just compiled a list of things that some of the biggest execs and CEOs use and abuse everyday.

But, I forgot we live in a America where people look down upon you based off your job.

I bet you can’t even change a tire or tie a knot :lol: :lol:

mfs love talking about "unskilled jobs" like they're not the one trying to outsource their basic human adult skills.

you really can't sit here and tell me there's going to be a mass 1-for-1 career switch of burger staff to computer coders.

...besides, in the age of remote work who says the people running an automated fried chicken place have to live in the US?
The younger gen hasn't seemed to take to creating and maintaining tech like we thought they would since they grew up in it. Consumption doesn't necessarily translate to interest in the infrastructure.

mfs love talking about "unskilled jobs" like they're not the one trying to outsource their basic human adult skills.

What exactly do you mean by this?

The younger gen hasn't seemed to take to creating and maintaining tech like we thought they would since they grew up in it. Consumption doesn't necessarily translate to interest in the infrastructure.

This very well said. It’s also why I said folks who may be affected by automation need to invest in themselves in either learning how to main the robots/systems/programs, getting into a field that will be relatively unaffected or finding out how to make themselves “un-automatable” (or immune to automation)

Krispy Kreme CEO: Robots will start frosting and filling doughnuts 'within the next 18 months’​

Krispy Kreme (DNUT) is aiming to cut time in its doughnut production line through automation.

"Probably within the next 18 months, you'll see some automation starting to go into the frosting, the filling, the sprinkles, and even the packaging," Krispy Kreme CEO Mike Tattersfield told Yahoo Finance Live (video above).

The Winston-Salem, North Carolina-based company announced the investment as part of its Investor Day, along with its long-term outlook of generating $2.15 billion in revenue by fiscal year 2026.

The addition of robots is part of an effort to maximize the fresh hub and spoke model opportunity in the United States, and increase points of access to deliver-fresh-daily (DFD) to grocery stories, convenience stores, quick-serve restaurants, and other locations. With this model, customers can get full-sized doughnuts produced that day, locally, without going to a Krispy Kreme location.

Krispy Kreme (DNUT) is aiming to cut time in its doughnut production line through automation.
"Probably within the next 18 months, you'll see some automation starting to go into the frosting, the filling, the sprinkles, and even the packaging," Krispy Kreme CEO Mike Tattersfield told Yahoo Finance Live (video above).
The Winston-Salem, North Carolina-based company announced the investment as part of its Investor Day, along with its long-term outlook of generating $2.15 billion in revenue by fiscal year 2026.
The addition of robots is part of an effort to maximize the fresh hub and spoke model opportunity in the United States, and increase points of access to deliver-fresh-daily (DFD) to grocery stories, convenience stores, quick-serve restaurants, and other locations. With this model, customers can get full-sized doughnuts produced that day, locally, without going to a Krispy Kreme location.

"We've got some pretty big factory stores...we do 12,000 points of access today, which get fresh doughnuts globally," Tattersfield said, emphasizing the major undertaking it is to get so many fresh doughnuts to the various locations. "You need to start looking at what the automation capacity of that is because it is going to the grocers. It is going to the convenience shops."
By 2022 fiscal-year end, Krispy Kreme estimated it will have roughly 5,400 points of access in 30 countries, bringing in approximately $475 million in total revenue. By 2026, it's projecting more than 12,000 points of access in 45 countries, with plans to bring in more than $660 million in revenue.
Meanwhile, automated lines — which would produce 18% of Krispy Kreme doughnuts within the next 18-month period — are expected to result in $2 million of annual savings on a $6 million investment.

Taking the 'repetitive task out of the business' for employees​

J.P. Morgan Analyst John Ivankoe, who has an Overweight rating on Krispy Kreme stock and lowered its price target to $13.00 from $15.00 last week, noted that the doughnut company currently spends more than $100 million on doughnut production labor in the U.S., of which "$60 million is related to post-production labor that includes inline icing, inline filling and traying/boxing functions which can be automated."
Despite these automation plans, though, Tattersfield stressed that Krispy Kreme employees — also known as Krispy Kremers and Insomniacs (employees behind its Insomnia cookies business) — are still at the core of the business with the intention to cut out tedious tasks.

"We still are going to continue to drive the experience side with our Krispy Kremers and Insomniacs, so I always find that when companies do a great job, they're balanced in how they try to do that and you try to get the repetitive task out of the business," he said.

And in a competitive environment to recruit and maintain talent, Tattersfield said, the ability to grow as an employee is what sets someone apart.

"It's really about the growth opportunity," he explained. "When you're in a company of our size that even, today, it's still just 400+ producing doughnut shops with a long trajectory of growth ... that growth across country becomes a very attractive proposition. I love to see that our doughnut shop managers are now owners."

Back
Top Bottom