An Open Letter to Conservatives

http://filterednews.wordpress.com/2010/03/22/an-open-letter-to-conservatives/

No cliffs.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]An open letter to conservatives[/h2]
with 69 comments

Dear Conservative Americans,

The years have not been kind to you.  I grew up in a profoundly Republican home so I can remember when you wore a very different face than the one we see now.  You’ve lost me and you’ve lost most of America.  Because I believe having responsible choices is important to democracy, I’d like to give you some advice and an invitation.

First, the invitation:  Come back to us.

Now the advice.  You’re going to have to come up with a platform that isn’t built on a foundation of cowardice: fear of people with colors, religions, cultures and sex lives that differ from yours; fear of reform in banking, health care, energy; fantasy fears of America being transformed into an Islamic nation, into social/commun/fasc-ism, into a disarmed populace put in internment camps; and more.  But you have work to do even before you take on that task.

Your party — the GOP — and the conservative end of the American political spectrum has become irresponsible and irrational.  Worse, it’s tolerating, promoting and celebrating prejudice and hatred.  Let me provide some expamples — by no means an exhaustive list — of where the Right as gotten itself stuck in a swamp of hypocrisy, hyperbole, historical inaccuracy and hatred.

If you’re going to regain your stature as a party of rational, responsible people, you’ll have to start by draining this swamp:

Hypocrisy

You can’t flip out — and threaten impeachment – when Dems use a parlimentary procedure (deem and pass) that you used repeatedly (more than 35 times in just one session and more than 100 times in all!), that’s centuries old and which the courts have supported. Especially when your leaders admit it all.

You can’t vote and scream against the stimulus package and then take credit for the good it’s done in your own district (happily handing out enormous checks representing money that you voted against is especially ugly) —  114 of you (at last count) did just that — and it’s even worse when you secretly beg for more.

You can’t fight against your own ideas just because the Dem president endorses your proposal.

You can’t call for a pay-as-you-go policy, and then vote against your own ideas.

Are they “unlawful enemy combatants

Whoops, embarrassing mistake.
embarassed.gif

Fixed.

Read this yesterday. It couldn't have been any more detailed. Best of all there were tons of sources and links provided to prove the writer's point. There's really no way for anyone to form a serious rebuttal against all this, but knowing the way many of the most vocal "conservatives" behave they'll simply not pay any attention to it or disregard it like they do with any other serious matter - by resorting to child-like immaturity.

I like em the way they are now.

Tea Baggers vs Moderate Conservatives!

The GOP is in shambles and truthfully I am very
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

And also remember... Republicans will have to defend 18 open seats and Democrats 14.

Plus.. Dems are raking in the $$ in campaign funds.  Almost 4-1 advantage.

Looks like another W for the Dems this Nov!

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Read this yesterday. It couldn't have been any more detailed. Best of all there were tons of sources and links provided to prove the writer's point. There's really no way for anyone to form a serious rebuttal against all this, but knowing the way many of the most vocal "conservatives" behave they'll simply not pay any attention to it or disregard it like they do with any other serious matter - by resorting to child-like immaturity.
Waits for TBONE a.k.a J Burner a.k.a Burns1923 to come in and disregard this
laugh.gif

This is every idea that millions of people, myself included, have thought/are thinking of conveniently compiled into a laundry list of downright dirty politics.

Now I hate, hate, HATE when people make accusations of an entire group based off a few, but this article definitely makes it hard not to.

As Thomas Jefferson said, political parties will lead to the destruction of the union.  Well... in the last century, both parties have engaged in practices to keep themselves in power, or nullify the power of the other party rather than acting in the best interest of the nation.  I would be all for an amendment to the constitution banning affiliation with a certain group of the individual is running for public office similar to the way most mayoral elections are held.  That way the politicians would debate strictly based on the issues rather than based on what their "talking points" or "party leaders" tell them what to say.

The problem is the tea baggers and the Glenn Beck's have captured this ideology... And will continue to drive it further to the right.. They will win elections here and there (I think 2010 they have a shot to pick up a few seats in the senate and a dozen or so seats in the house.. Just going off historical trends) but they will overall continue to lose more states than they win and it will drive them further right and further radical.. And more dangerous because it will give the handful the power of their ideological majority.. This handful is no Iraq War protesters these guys are beyond easily influenced and angry. They literally feel threatened. No matter how irrational it is...

I can see the conservatives come in and say that Democrats arent perfect and that be their main comeback. And its true, they arent perfect but it seems to me that they are trying to make america better and try to compromise to get bills passed while the conservatives just disagree with anything that the democrats try to do and dont provide any other solutions. Great article and a good read.

Most of the wrongs on that list are the result of playing politics and Dems could be cited for the exact same inconsistencies.

The problem for the GOP is that it has become the party of conservative big government. They are, like the Dems, statists. The difference is that the Dems are at least indulgent statists, they will tax you, be reckless with the public's money, spy on you and hold your opinions in contempt but at least their vision of America includes a more generous welfare system, drugs, sex and swearing on TV. The GOP's vision is an omnipresent, omnipotent government with a very Spartan, tough love approach to "decadence" (their code word for drugs, sex and fun in general). 

It would be like if you had two semi abusive, erratic, irresponsible parents who were divorced and you have to pick one to spend most of your time with, you will at least pick the one who lets you stay up late and eat ice cream.

If the GOP wants to really get back into power it has to truly be a party of small government, the true alternative to the Democrat policies of dependence, patronage and insolvency.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

As Thomas Jefferson said, political parties will lead to the destruction of the union.  Well... in the last century, both parties have engaged in practices to keep themselves in power, or nullify the power of the other party rather than acting in the best interest of the nation.  I would be all for an amendment to the constitution banning affiliation with a certain group of the individual is running for public office similar to the way most mayoral elections are held.  That way the politicians would debate strictly based on the issues rather than based on what their "talking points" or "party leaders" tell them what to say.
eek.gif
Pretty much exactly what I wanted to say.

Back
Top Bottom