Andre "Basic Game" Miller's offseason workout plan...VOL only missed 3 games in 12 yrs

moz-screenshot-3.png
At 617 consecutive games and counting, Andre Miller is the NBA's IronMan. In the dozen seasons of his career thus far, injuries have forcedhim to miss a scant three games. Derek Fisher, who trails Miller on theactive games played list, is almost 200 games back.

Nobody knows about withstanding the rigors of the NBA like Miller.So, what kind of fitness guru is he? What's his secret? Should everyplayer mimic whatever it is the 34-year-old point guard does in theoffseason?

Most experts would advise against it.

"I have no regimen," Miller says. After the season ends, so doesMiller's working out -- no weights, no cardio, no nothing. "I reallydon't pick up a basketball."

Eating right also falls by the wayside. "(My diet) isn't healthy atall," Miller says. "Hamburgers, hot links on the Fourth of July, allthat."

To control his weight, however, Miller uses old-fashioned discipline. "I starve myself," he says.

Seriously? "Yeah, I'm just starting to learn about calories and all that."

David Thorpe, executive director of the Pro Training Center inClearwater, Florida, suspects Miller may have a genetic advantage.

"When they cut open Secretariat -- the most amazing horse of alltime -- his heart was one and a half times bigger than that of theaverage thoroughbred," says Thorpe. The same sort of thing may be trueof Miller, says Thorpe. Perhaps his skeletal system and soft tissuesare optimal for the rigors of the NBA.

Then there's Miller's style of play.

"A lot of guys get hurt because they're trying to make an athleticplay and they pull a muscle, they lose their balance in mid-air, orduring an explosive burst of speed they get hit or fall awkwardly,"says Thorpe. "He hasn't relied on athleticism for a long, long time.He's beating you with craft and his mind, which is excellent."

It's not that the veteran guard doesn't get his fair share ofbumps. Against the Pistons in November, Miller twisted both ankles. Thepain was enough to leave him writhing around on the court. On the benchhe refused treatment, which is his most common reaction when approachedby a trainer. He would finish the game.

Miller's unique approach has gotten him this far, but Thorpe can'thelp but wonder what a disciplined off-season routine might do.

"If you went down whatever consensus list for the top 50 players ofall time there would be only one common thread, and that'd be guys thatplayed all the time, and trained and worked hard," says Thorpe. "Idon't think you'd have any Andre Millers in that group."

Naturally, Miller has his own take.

"It's impossible to come into camp in game shape," Miller says. "I like to work into it."

More than that, the time away from basketball and working outaffords Miller the opportunity to revitalize his competitive spirit andlove for the game. There are risks, but Miller adds, "I don't want toburn myself out."

The article summed it up...it's hard to hurt yourself when you barely exert yourself.

I definitely appreciated him while he was in Philly, he was the main reason why we made the playoffs.

Originally Posted by High Class Scum Bag

moz-screenshot-3.png
"A lot of guys get hurt because they're trying to make an athleticplay and they pull a muscle, they lose their balance in mid-air, orduring an explosive burst of speed they get hit or fall awkwardly,"says Thorpe. "He hasn't relied on athleticism for a long, long time.He's beating you with craft and his mind, which is excellent."

kraft.jpg

Originally Posted by FlashEightZero

moz-screenshot-3.png

kraft.jpg
Kraft Craft 

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

His Uncle's soul food joint outside Sacramento is appreciated.

info
nerd.gif
Damn, you're really making me dig my brain, it'd been probably 5-6 years since I last had it.
I think it was "House of Chicken and Ribs" in Antelope.

moz-screenshot-3.png
Derek Fisher, who trails Miller on theactive games played list, is almost 200 games back.

"I have no regimen," Miller says. After the season ends, so doesMiller's working out -- no weights, no cardio, no nothing. "I reallydon't pick up a basketball."

"(My diet) isn't healthy atall," Miller says. "Hamburgers, hot links on the Fourth of July, allthat."

To control his weight, however, Miller uses old-fashioned discipline. "I starve myself," he says.

Seriously? "Yeah, I'm just starting to learn about calories and all that."
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

That clip always has me dying.

Jerryd Bayless looks like he just walked in on his mother giving the mailman a BJ.

i respect his game.

Shows you dont need to be super athletic when you have the feel for the game .

info
nerd.gif
Damn, you're really making me dig my brain, it'd been probably 5-6 years since I last had it.
Heard of that place but I didn't know that was Andre Miller's Uncle's joint.

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

info
nerd.gif
I'm pretty sure it's some type of family member, but it's been so long I'm not 100%.

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

info
nerd.gif
I'm pretty sure it's some type of family member, but it's been so long I'm not 100%.

Im pretty sure its his uncle that lives in the 916. Antelope is 10 minutes away from me... I'll check it out
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

That clip always has me dying.

Jerryd Bayless looks like he just walked in on his mother giving the mailman a BJ.
roll.gif
so random

I was going to come in and say, what regimen? You can tell he doesn't work out in the summer by looking at him at the beginning of the season. He is one of those guys (Baron Davis, Rasheed Wallace, Zach Randolph, also) who gets out of shape in the summer and then plays himself back into "Game shape."

Back
Top Bottom