Andruw Jones goes from Potential HOFer to............

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

John Dewans plus/minus system is changing all that but nobody other than guys like me know about it.
laugh.gif
That's because you're "cool guy."
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

John Dewans plus/minus system is changing all that but nobody other than guys like me know about it.
laugh.gif
That's because you're "cool guy."
laugh.gif
Thanks man, you keep workin at it and you can be cool one day too.
wink.gif

meanjoegreene_coke.jpg

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by CP1708

Still, as I get old, I am always going to remember A Jones as the best I ever saw play in CF, with Griff right behind him.
pimp.gif
You'd take Jones over Griffey in the field in their prime?
eek.gif
Do you really think it's that big of a stretch to use the
eek.gif
? I remember an interview with Bobby Cox that said he saved their team at least 1 run a game. Whether that was reality or not can be questioned, butit wouldn't surprise me if there were indeed stats to back that up. For a CF to have that kind of an impact on defense is tremendous. I don't thinkit's that cut & dried to just flat out say anyone would take Jr. over Andruw in their prime.

For what it's worth, Andruw is the best CF i've seen in my lifetime.

I would expect a Braves fan or a fan of Andruw to say it is a stretch to use "
eek.gif
", I guess I was just shocked that was cp's choice.

I'm shocked I said something and Osh agreed with it.

Can I change my choice to Griffey? Is it too late?

roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by dland24

^To the two comedians above. You do realize he had 10 gold gloves in a row right? How many players have done this? Not to mention he dominated a World Series at age 19.
Super-duper.

In this day and age, .260 and 376 for a center fielder ain't HOF numbers no matter how much defense you play.

Hey everyone is entitled an opinion, your a huge minority with you p.o.v though.
laugh.gif
@ dismissing discussing the topic because I am a Cardinals fan. I can discuss my team Durden, I don't wear blinders. I simply laughed because I think you're wrong about your assessment on the greatest defensive shortstop ever.
Yeah, I know im in the minority with my point of view. It's just how it goes. I hate the Hall system the way it is, but oh well.

He very well might be the greatest defensive SS ever, but im not certain thats enough to classift someone as an all time great. Thats just my opinion though.

Andruw Jones is the BEST center fielder any of us have ever laid eyes on.
Dude, come on. I know your a stat-a-holic but sometimes you have to just be honest with yourself. You know hes not the best.

Originally Posted by Durden7

He very well might be the greatest defensive SS ever, but im not certain thats enough to classift someone as an all time great. Thats just my opinion though.
I don't know much about baseball but this sentence baffles me.

Hey everyone is entitled an opinion, your a huge minority with you p.o.v though.
laugh.gif
@ dismissing discussing the topic because I am a Cardinals fan. I can discuss my team Durden, I don't wear blinders. I simply laughed because I think you're wrong about your assessment on the greatest defensive shortstop ever.
Yeah, I know im in the minority with my point of view. It's just how it goes. I hate the Hall system the way it is, but oh well.

Andruw Jones is the BEST center fielder any of us have ever laid eyes on.
Dude, come on. I know your a stat-a-holic but sometimes you have to just be honest with yourself. You know hes not the best.
Like I said the best that most of us have ever seen, weather he is better than Mays and the old timers is tough to say.

timeout, did you just say Ozzie Smith doesn't deserve to be in the HOF??

besides the fact that's the inspiration to my sn, you are a ******.

NOT every player in the HOF has to produce offensively. Ozzie played amazing defense and was the catalyst for the really good Cardlnals teams in the 80's.

lets also remember, that before ARod and the boys, the only other SS to do jack !+@+ offensively was Cal Ripken.
MY qualifications for the Hall are different than this crackpot system they have right now and in my eyes he's borderline. The only thing keeping him close is his longevity.

The way the hall is set up now its just become a museum. It's no longer a place to honor the "greats". Its just a time line of the sport in physical form.

My relatives grew up in St Louis, so I know allll about Ozzie. I know what he meant to the team/city, but in my eyes he just was never someone who I considered "great".
Yikes.

Originally Posted by PrurientSole

Originally Posted by dland24

^To the two comedians above. You do realize he had 10 gold gloves in a row right? How many players have done this? Not to mention he dominated a World Series at age 19.
Super-duper.

In this day and age, .260 and 376 for a center fielder ain't HOF numbers no matter how much defense you play.

So in the past it was good enough, but not currently? Thats dumb.

What trips me out is when people say that if HOF'ers played in todays game, they wouldn't be in the hall. That's some of the dumbest +%#% ever.This current generation has only witnessed the steroid generation and want to use stats of this generatin to be the measuring stick for everyone already in theHall.

I don't know much about baseball but this sentence baffles me.
You cant be an all time great player if youre only good at one thing. Baseball is a sport where you HAVE to be good at both aspects of the sportto be defined as GREAT.

Like I said the best that most of us have ever seen, weather he is better than Mays and the old timers is tough to say.
Ive got no stats or anything, but where would you rank guys like Edmonds and Hunter in comparison with Jones?
Yikes.
Thats it? Just yikes? Nothing to add? Interesting.

So in the past it was good enough, but not currently? Thats dumb.
I'll chime in...

It's not good enough now. Was he on pace? I believe so. Things changed though. Andruw still has games to play so who knows what numbers he ends up puttingup. But what if he barely hangs on and ends up with a BA less than .260 plus less than 400 HRs? Those aren't strong numbers. He also finished higher thanthe Top 8 in MVP voting one single time. Voters are also human, and they are going to remember him falling off the face of the earth at the age of 30.

The Gold Gloves are nice.....but they also are one of the most overrated awards in all of MLB. No one questions Jones' glove....he was a beast and an alltimer. But GG awards for decades now are handed down based on names only, it's Pro Bowls v. 2.0. Again, that does not take away from his glove. Rather thattakes away from the awards themselves. Gold Gloves do not get outfielders in the HOF.

I always was an AJ fan so want to make that clear....rather im speaking on voters and what his situation is right now. Hopefully Andruw ends up somehow comingback and playing several more productive years.

Back
Top Bottom