animals that can live w/out oxygen found. aliens guarantee to exist now.

so basically, scientist found  a multicellular animal that can survive without oxygen, therefore the possibilities of aliens existing on other planets, even within our solar system sky rocketed up.

15d2amd.jpg

Scientists have just discovered the first multicellular animals that can survive entirely without oxygen. They live in the L'Atalante Basin in the Mediterranean Ocean, a place with salt brine so thick it doesn't mix with oxygen-containing waters above.
This is pretty crazy stuff. Previously, it was thought that only single-celled life could exist in such inhospitable places, but this proves otherwise.
The animals took up radioactively tagged leucine (an amino acid), and a fluorescent probe that labels living cells, evidence that they were alive when they were collected. The researchers also found examples of individuals that contained eggs and evidence of apparent molting, which led them to conclude that the animals spend their whole lives in the harsh sediments. The creature's cells apparently lack mitochondria, the organelles that use oxygen to power a cell. Instead they are rich in what seem to be hydrogenosomes, organelles that can do a similar job in anaerobic (or oxygen free) environments.

This is interesting not only for the study of our oceans, but for life off our planet as well. After all, if life can exist where there's no oxygen, what's to say life can't exist in some of the harsher atmospheres that exist on other planets and moons? And at this point, why the hell haven't they contacted us yet? Are we not ready? Just tell us what to do, space friends! Come on! [Science Mag via Slashdot]

source:http://gizmodo.com/5511882/animals-...ered-aliens-basically-guaranteed-to-exist-now

If thats the case..... maybe aliens haven't been to Earth yet because they wouldn't think of visiting a planet WITH oxygen. o_0

The possibly that they can exist and the guarantee that they exist are two completely different things op.

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

If thats the case..... maybe aliens haven't been to Earth yet because they wouldn't think of visiting a planet WITH oxygen. o_0

Lol.. theres probably an article running somewhere else with the inversed discovery

Originally Posted by sherwin100s

Put some of those organisms in me so i could chill in some waters

yeaaaaa
pimp.gif

i lol'd
but i feels uuuu. the great escape

Trips me out how people assume that all life must live/survive the way we do. Life is everywhere. It's behind you looking at you right now and you can't even see it.

It's on the Sun and all the planets in this solar system. Just because we can't see or recognize it, doesn't mean it is nonexistent.

Originally Posted by General Johnson

Trips me out how people assume that all life must live/survive the way we do. Life is everywhere. It's behind you looking at you right now and you can't even see it.

It's on the Sun and all the planets in this solar system. Just because we can't see or recognize it, doesn't mean it is nonexistent.
eek.gif
Like OMG!

eek.gif
Like OMG!

eek.gif
Totally!

Nice, that also throws the theory regarding how you need water to support life out of the window. Very interesting.

Same.  Like we only look for planets with water and oxygen for life.  For all we know, they could live off of smog.

eek.gif
Like OMG!

eek.gif
Totally!
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom