Ankle brace or tape ankle?

I have always been playing ball with an ankle brace. However, I find that it doesn't provide the support necessary to prevent injuries. I'm thinkingabout switching to taping my ankle since there is a trainer at my gym that does it for free. I'm pretty sure that tape is the better way to go. What'sbetter in your guys opinion, tape or ankle braces, or both combined?

i read somewhere (i think it was posted on NT) that taping doesnt really help in preventing injuries. it's more of a psychological thing for players toactually have it. thinking about it, how can it not protect you from twisting it tho if its tight.

Originally Posted by BallinB

I have always been playing ball with an ankle brace. However, I find that it doesn't provide the support necessary to prevent injuries. I'm thinking about switching to taping my ankle since there is a trainer at my gym that does it for free. I'm pretty sure that tape is the better way to go. What's better in your guys opinion, tape or ankle braces, or both combined?
do you play for a league or something or its just some indoor basketball free for all? If so never thought anyone would tape their ankles unlessit was a actual game with refs. But hey if there someone thats doing it for free why not. Someone also told me if you sprain your ankles its bad to wear it allday because it weakens your ankles.

Combine it if you're that scared. Usually a brace works fine. Maybe step your ankle brace game up? What kind you using?

Originally Posted by dyzzle

i read somewhere (i think it was posted on NT) that taping doesnt really help in preventing injuries. it's more of a psychological thing for players to actually have it. thinking about it, how can it not protect you from twisting it tho if its tight.

It's the truth. Wearing them after they have been sprained a lot weakens them. Might as well strengthen them.

Originally Posted by ThiPham

I have always been playing ball with an ankle brace. However, I find that it doesn't provide the support necessary to prevent injuries. I'm thinking about switching to taping my ankle since there is a trainer at my gym that does it for free. I'm pretty sure that tape is the better way to go. What's better in your guys opinion, tape or ankle braces, or both combined?
do you play for a league or something or its just some indoor basketball free for all? If so never thought anyone would tape their ankles unless it was a actual game with refs. But hey if there someone thats doing it for free why not. Someone also told me if you sprain your ankles its bad to wear it all day because it weakens your ankles.

Yes I play for a league. I don't wear my ankle brace during the day, only when I play ball. I've sprained my ankle numerous times so I'm justtrying to find the best way from preventing this.

Originally Posted by ThiPham

do you play for a league or something or its just some indoor basketball free for all? If so never thought anyone would tape their ankles unless it was a actual game with refs. But hey if there someone thats doing it for free why not. Someone also told me if you sprain your ankles its bad to wear it all day because it weakens your ankles.

Yes I play for a league. I don't wear my ankle brace during the day, only when I play ball. I've sprained my ankle numerous times so I'm just trying to find the best way from preventing this.
Me too.... right when I think to my self

"Ive had a good run these couple of weeks" then like a couple days later I sprain my ankle giving a pass
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

I'd suggest strengthening your ankle and if your not getting the necessary support with a brace (which seems a bit odd) then tape it up. I had a severeinside outside sprain and when I started playing again I used an ankle brace, and if I played under control, it served my needs just fine. I would definitelysuggest doing reverse calf raises though to strengthen your ankles up a lot. Pretty much instead of standing on your toes (like a calf raise) you keep yourheels down and lift the front of your foot upwards. Do this without weight, then try and add weight. Look it up, tough to explain in words.

From experience to me gettin your ankles taped worked better... unless u feel like gettin an expensive brace

Originally Posted by trapmuzik617

From experience to me gettin your ankles taped worked better... unless u feel like gettin an expensive brace
True, I use an ASO lace up brace which from what I heard is amongst the best. I still sprained my ankle wearing it..any suggestions on anotherbrace.

Good looking Sundizzle, I'm going to check that out

nothing is gonna stop you from getting ankle injuries, only thing you can do is work on conditioning and working out your lower body...

neoprene braces are good for stability and flexibility and blood flow

what do you use when you have a sprained ankle already?
but like, i still need to ball, i can't just take weeks off
any suggestions?

some people find braces to be way too restrictive, it wont allow them to move their foot the way it should without the brace.. but if it works for you, youshould keep wearing them, but you'll get used to it and you wont be able to play without it

Originally Posted by reecelavelle

what do you use when you have a sprained ankle already?
but like, i still need to ball, i can't just take weeks off
any suggestions?

I would take the weeks off...but since that's not an option I'd go with the tape but only if you're around a professional trainer who can properlytape an ankle which is tricky because a few of them can't anyway.

Personally I hated ankle tape and always preferred braces but my team gave em to us for free so the price wasn't an issue.

Sprained ankles are a $+%$%, when they stick around for close to a year
mad.gif

a year? are you kidding me? i really dont get it how some people can have ankle sprains bother them for months or even years.. it bothers me only a week, 2 atthe most

Because you've never had a serious sprain.

But that's why I told him not to hoop, even a bad ankle sprain shoudn't last more than a month or two but when you try and gut it out and play anywaylike I did, that's when #%*#$ wont go away.

laugh.gif

Don't take offense, but unless you're some special specimen than yea, I do know. If the sprain only takes a week to heal, than it wasn't a serioussprain.

really? trust me, i sprain my ankle just as much as you. some people just heal faster than other. you think that after an ankle sprain i can walk or let alonestand on it? it's the same as yours.

Look I'm not trying to argue with you. But certain things are just the facts, you don't recover from a third or even second degree ankle sprain in aweek or two. It's just the way it is, ask your doctor.

Look, even though you're coming off as a dumb @!! and think you know everything, I'm gonna go ahead and entertain you anyway.

I didn't sprain my ankle and it happened to last a year. I sprained my ankle pretty bad like I and everyone else who participates in physical activity hasdone before. It bothered me for a couple of weeks after that it was fine. The thing is, after you sprain your ankle the ankle itself is weak, making you moresusceptible to worse sprains. Even if it's not bothering you, the muscles and ligaments themselves are weak/strained. This can set up a cycle ofreoccurring sprains. Which is why I made my initial comment to the OP advising him to let the ankle rest a little bit. The incident I'm talking about, Isprained my ankle, didn't let it heal properly, and a month later sprained it worse than before. I "couldn't" stop playing, so as a result Ikept spraining it over the course of 10 months.

And yes, I'll take a doctors point of view concerning anything medical over TheYoungestGun's

Even though the fact that a third degree ankle sprain can't possibly heal in two weeks is common knowledge, I wouldn't need a doctor to tell me that.

Back
Top Bottom