Known ANNOYING POP UPS/AD WHILE BROWSING NT

Although I understand that using an ad blocker is harmful to NT's fundraising, ads potentially containing viruses, aware, spyware etc is harmful to the users

I don't block the ads on NT because I don't like seeing them, I block them because I'm tired of the constant redirects, pop ups making me restart my PC and sending me to random app store apps every several minutes depending on the day.

There has to be some sort of middle ground because I do applaud you guys for what you're doing on both ends running the site and being active in the community helping those in need.

But the last thing I need is spyware. Abe that is why I block the ads

And it's not just NT, I block ads everywhere because it's happened on many other sites as well

I can't lie, I don't block them from my phone, but from my desktop, they are

Last edited:
Although I understand that using an ad blocker is harmful to NT's fundraising, ads potentially containing viruses, aware, spyware etc is harmful to the users

I don't block the ads on NT because I don't like seeing them, I block them because I'm tired of the constant redirects, pop ups making me restart my PC and sending me to random app store apps every several minutes depending on the day.

There has to be some sort of middle ground because I do applaud you guys for what you're doing on both ends running the site and being active in the community helping those in need.

But the last thing I need is spyware. Abe that is why I block the ads

And it's not just NT, I block ads everywhere because it's happened on many other sites as well

I can't lie, I don't block them from my phone, but from my desktop, they are
I see the same ads you do, and while ad issues occur more frequently than any of us would like, I would hardly call it "constant."  Perhaps I'm spared some of the issues because I'm running virus/malware protection.  I can't say for certain, but I don't think the typical user is "constantly" encountering the sorts of things you've described.  

Oftentimes, people are infected elsewhere, they experience the effects of it here (among other sites) and then blame those sites rather than their own system (and questionable browser history) for the issue.

I refuse to use that as an excuse to avoid investigating or following up on any reported ad issues.  We don't write them off as "user error."  We follow up on every issue we're aware of, and it's much easier for us to do that when our fellow members are working WITH us on this rather than AGAINST us.  

At the very least, encouraging everyone to start stealing from us because you're not 100% satisfied with your experience is not helpful.  Bandwidth costs money.  Display advertising isn't perfect, but the alternative is sponsored editorial content, paywalls, and more aggressive, intrusive advertising designed to circumvent or compensate for losses due to ad blockers. 

The team is aware of this latest ad issue and is actively investigating.  If anyone here can reproduce this consistently, let me know as you may be able to help us track this down. 

I havent since i started the thread.

What was happening if you dont mind me asking?

I havent since i started the thread.

What was happening if you dont mind me asking?
Most online advertising is sold through networks.  Companies with big marketing budgets aren't going to choose 5 million individual websites to advertise on, so they place orders with networks in attempt to reach certain demographic groups on sites they might frequent.  

We serve ads from multiple ad networks on NikeTalk.  Most networks are heavily automated, and do not have a human being personally approve every single campaign they serve.  As a result, sometimes the screening process for one of the networks we're using at any given time will allow in a rogue ad.  Some rogue ads simply violate our terms in that we do NOT want anything that auto-plays audio, serves pop-ups, etc. (even though such ads are more lucrative).  Others are malicious in that they manipulate exploits to do things they shouldn't be able to do.  (App store redirects, for example.)  

It can be very difficult to track these down, because the ads these networks serve are sometimes influenced by a user's cookies - so if the testers on our end don't have a similar browsing history, they may not be able to see the same ad even if they reload thousands of times.  

Ad ops worked very hard to try and identify this issue.  They modify filters, block individual ads, and even remove whole networks if necessary.  As a result of their efforts, they were reporting that they were no longer able to replicate this issue on our site - but, to make sure that's actually the case, we wanted to check in and see if anyone else was still encountering the problem.  

Thanks for bringing the issue to our attention. 

I haven't been getting anything other than something about WebGL?

It isn't frequent but it still comes up quite a bit.

Mobile, btw.

Last edited:
Got the same ad again last night but didnt say Amazon. Forgot to screenshot just closed out quick as i could

Guess I wasn't the only one. When web browsing I almost exclusively use mobile browsers, rarely on desktop. I also got this ad pop up a few times only while using NikeTalk on my iPad's safari & iPhone's safari. I thought it was some onetime issue. I have never encountered a popup like these in all the mobile browsing I do. It was so rare, I had saved a screen shot, let me find it..

Here is some screen shots from 3/26, they popped up one after the other.
View media item 2006336View media item 2006337

Last edited:
I've been getting that exact redirect, sporadically, for the past month. About twice a week.

Is anyone still experiencing this?  Ad ops has been unable to replicate it in recent attempts.  

Hopefully it's now been resolved. 

@Methodical Management   Im starting to get this weird "google" pop up notification now on desktop using my lap top. I initally thought it was me with a virus but this is only happening when on NT, and right now it appears its isolated to only when im in the Fantasy Football thread. Ive gotten it about 4x now, 2 of those 4 back to back. 

It says something along the lines of error loading google ads 200 blah blah blah with some jibberish numbers .. the only option is to click OK and it goes away but came back one time. It also completely flips the page away from NT when the pop up shows up and its a blank white screen. 

Will grab a screen shot the next time I see which should be soon since im frequenting the fantasy thread with the season starting thursday

Was browsing General on my S7 Edge and got a pop-up that also vibrated the phone. Didn't screenshot it though cause I freaked out and closed out Chrome.

ok heres a screenshot of the pop up ... looks like it wasnt isolated to the fantasy thread, this time i was in the android thread

first time that i have gotten it in the past hour and half on the comp (but its only on NT)

ok heres a screenshot of the pop up ... looks like it wasnt isolated to the fantasy thread, this time i was in the android thread

first time that i have gotten it in the past hour and half on the comp (but its only on NT)
What OS/Browser version are you using?

This is the first anyone has reported of this sort of pop up.  Do you have any browser extensions running?

Back
Top Bottom