Another Hashtag: Not Even Safe In A Broken Down Car. Florida church drummer shot and killed by plain

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...mmer-shot-and-killed-by-plainclothes-officer/

CoreyJones.jpg

Corey Jones (Courtesy of the Jones family)

Their band, Future Prezidents, had finished their gig almost an hour earlier, so bass player Mathew Huntsberger was surprised to get a call from drummer Corey Jones, 31, around 1:45 a.m. on Sunday.

Jones told Huntsberger that his SUV had broken down and asked if he could help, so Huntsberger drove to find his bandmate, who was stranded north of West Palm Beach, Fl. on Interstate 95. He brought along some oil, but when that didn’t work, the two decided to look up numbers for a tow truck.

“I tried to help him the best I could, but I’m not a mechanic or anything,” Huntsberger said in an interview with The Post on Monday afternoon.

Huntsberger said he called roadside assistance for his bandmate and then, about 2:30 a.m., left to head home while Jones waited for the tow truck.

About 45 minutes later, Jones was dead — shot and killed by a police officer.

“When I left him he was sitting in his car calling roadside assistance,” Huntsberger said. “I never would have thought that someone was going to come kill him.”

Few details have been released about the Oct. 18 shooting — which is one of more than 780 fatal police shootings so far in 2015, according to a Washington Post database  of all deadly on-duty shootings by police officers in 2015.

In a statement  issued Monday afternoon, the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department said that officer Nouman Raja was in plainclothes in an unmarked car when he stopped to investigate what he believed to be an abandoned vehicle on an Interstate 95 exit ramp.

“As the officer exited his vehicle, he was suddenly confronted by an armed subject,” the police department said in a statement. “As a result of the confrontation, the officer discharged his firearm, resulting in the death of the subject.”

Palm Beach Gardens is a roughly 50,000-resident city near Palm Beach, made up primarily of white residents.  The Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office, which is investigating the shooting, referred requests for comment to the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department. Officials with the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

“They’re saying he was armed, but I don’t know if I believe it,” said Huntsberger, who described Jones as a really mellow, church-going guy. “Of course they’re going to say that. If I was there, maybe it’s a different situation. I just don’t know what happened.”

Family members, several of whom are clergy members in the Palm Beach region, and friends have described Jones as a well-known and liked church drummer at Bible Church of God in Boynton Beach.  Jones family plans to gather tonight at a local church to share memories of him, and are making funeral plans for Saturday.

“He was a good kid, just coming home from a gig,” said Jones’s cousin Frank Hearst, 36, of Nashville, Tenn. “He was just an all-around good guy who never got into any trouble, never had any record. It’s just an unfortunate situation.”

Hearst said family members are upset at how little information has been provided about the shooting. They want to know how many shots were fired, and what weapon he allegedly was carrying when he was killed. They  say Jones never carried a firearm.

“They’re saying Corey approached him armed, which is a total lie,” Hearst said. “That don’t make sense.”

Benjamin Dixon said he met Jones because they were both church musicians, occasionally filling in for each other’s bands when a member had to miss a service.

“When you play with someone two or three times, they become friends. Two or three times more, and they become family,” Dixon said.

He remembered Jones as a laid-back guy, often found wielding his drumsticks behind a kit in a church sanctuary.

“He was a very hard worker who you could also find in his church,” Dixon said.

Unreal. "He was armed" **** out of here, that dude wasn't carrying a gun and pointing it at a cop.

Last edited:
RIP. Crazy to sit back & think any day I could walk out the house & be murked by supremacy enforcement for just being a black man. Wonder what God's plan for this was.

“They’re saying he was armed, but I don’t know if I believe it,” said Huntsberger, who described Jones as a really mellow, church-going guy. “Of course they’re going to say that. If I was there, maybe it’s a different situation. I just don’t know what happened.”

Then don't say anything. Speculation like this just adds fuel to the fire.

Man if my boy gets shot you better believe I'm not letting the media paint him as a monster if they ask me. He should have just said he didn't carry a gun and left it at that.

Unreal. "He was armed" **** out of here, that dude wasn't carrying a gun and pointing it at a cop.
exactly.. theres alot of holes in the story.. people are saying he (the god cop) called for backup from his personal phone and no badge was present as well. My quesitons are this..

What type of car awas he in.. Charger,Caprice,Impala,Police interceptor or something like a honda civic, nissan or something uncommon for a police to be in

Did the officer identify himself as a cop

If this was a police car, wheres the dash cam

Were police lights initiated..

If this was some "going rouge" ********.. this would piss me off even worse..

Man if my boy gets shot you better believe I'm not letting the media paint him as a monster if they ask me. He should have just said he didn't carry a gun and left it at that.
because he was legally able to carry they are going to have a hard time trying to criminalize this guy.. Watch they will pull up his elementary school record and some traffic tickets.

Whether he was armed or not, the officer was in civilian clothes, no badge, and in an unmarked vehicle. How TF was Mr Jones suppose to know he was a cop?
IMO this should at least be manslaughter. Officers should not be able to engage with civilians if they are not in uniform. Undercover attire should be left to undercover work.

Last edited:
because he was legally able to carry they are going to have a hard time trying to criminalize this guy.. Watch they will pull up his elementary school record and some traffic tickets.

I'm saying. What are they going to say now? His boy just left a church band practice with him, he wasn't drunk or anything and has a good record.

How in the world are they gonna twist this from scared trigger happy white guy to a hero. Please tell me how this guy shouldn't be in jail right now being charged with murder.

**** is straight disgusting. I say it time and time again in order to be a cop it should be a requirement you saw combat. Let someone who's actually been shot at and seen real threats do the work. These dudes are scared of their own shadow.

Whether he was armed or not, the officer was in civilian clothes, no badge, and in an unmarked vehicle. How TF was Mr Jones suppose to know he was a cop?
IMO this should at least be manslaughter. Officers should not be able to engage with civilians if they are not in uniform. Undercover attire should be left to undercover work.

That too. That's just asking for a gunfight. How are you going to walk up to someone late night plain clothes in a regular car. That's some **** that WILL get you shot by someone legally carrying.

Man this **** pisses me off. You're going to have all the racist commentators say..."but he had a gun." So what if he did? It's an open carry state. But only if you're white I guess. Black people cannot exercise their 2nd amendment right. So many black media "journalist" continue to ignore bringing that point up. :smh:

Last edited:
That's why I said "pointing a gun" even if he did have a gun that's even more reason to charge the cop with murder. If for some crazy reason he did carry even though everyone says he didn't. He has no record whatsoever and everyone loved him. Black guy open carrying is perfectly legal. Still charge the cop with murder.

Last edited:
I can't even imagine what type of exchange would lead to weapons being drawn. I'm not surprised at all tho.

Curious what details the cop will reveal.

Well, was he a church musician?

I had to look at that pic several times. Even though dude clearly has a different name, dude looks damn near spot on like one of my old middle school friends, happened to see him and chopped it up about month ago. Got a bit on anxiety there.

Plains clothes cops are irrational as hell. I've seen instances where two guys get into a mutual fight, and one ends up being a cop.. Assault on a police officer is the charge the other guy receives when the other later identifies himself as a cop.

I can see this instance going down where the cop is sort of coy about who he is, ala undercover status assuming the worst here. He likely went in too hot and this other guy was on edge. Definitely feels like manslaughter here.

Unmarked means no lights or sirens, right? Cop played this all wrong and likely nothing will happen to him.

Damn this is grimey, a plain clothes cop running up on broke down car in the middle of the night and firing on the person first. :smh:

I wonder if this'll be a case where, if the media picks up on this, will this be another instance where they try to paint the victim in a negative light (a la Trayvon, Mike, Eric, etc)

Back
Top Bottom