Any Bay Area Firefighters in here?

Hello,

I'm very interested in becoming a Firefighter for San Francisco and I'm about to start
my EMT class. I just wanted to know if any firefighters bothered to get an AA or just
went straight to the EMT class and off to the academy or become a paramedic right after
their 6 months of a working emt requirement was finished?

Thanks.

yur fire science aa dont mean *@%%. all it does is look good on paper. in sf, u dont need nothing to become a firefighter, jus luck. frisco has no requirmentson fire fighters. its the only city in cali that is like that. when u take the test, physical, etc. everyone is equal, yull probably be in there with otherfirefighters trying to get on with sf. sf jus had applications a couple of months ago. and b4 that the last time they opened applications was in 2001! so dontcount on getting into frisco anythime soon. the best way to go is paramedic. start with yur emt class then go to paramedic. most cities in cali wont even lookat yur application unless yur a paramedic, however firsco does hire a lot of paramadic/firefighters called h3. u need to get yur emt then get a job as an emt.there is a big difference between aworking and non-working emt. start from there, also try to get into a firefighter 1 cousre but its really hard to get intothose because of the waiting list but its really good to have. and i never heard of a requirment of working for 6 months to get into a paramedic class,somthing new i guess. but it makes sense cause its gonna be hard to find a preceptor if u aint working as an emt

Aight thanks man, yeah my plan is to become a paramedic for awhile before I become a firefighter.
I heard about the SFFD hiring about 250-300 new firefighters in the next couple years. It's all good,
I still gotta long way to go haha.
BTW, are you a SF firefighter ?

^naw i was trying though when i first got of high school. i was in a paramedic program and just as about to get my paramedic intership my school went bankruptand closed down. they kept my titution money and said if i wanted to become a paramedic i would have to start all over from the begining at a different school.!#*! that! jus keep in mind that if u get hired as a h3 firefight/paramedic u can only be that. say u decide to jus b a firefighter later on then u would haveto apply all over again for a h2 firefighter position. since u went in as a h3 u can only be a h3. but if u come in as a h2 u can decide to become an h3 thenmove back to h2 if u want. get it?

Originally Posted by RB925

Aight thanks man, yeah my plan is to become a paramedic for awhile before I become a firefighter.
I heard about the SFFD hiring about 250-300 new firefighters in the next couple years. It's all good,
I still gotta long way to go haha.
BTW, are you a SF firefighter ?
where u planning to take ur paramedic schooling at bro? City college sf? if so...the waiting list is 1 year ...
laugh.gif
, and thats a big IF u get onto the list ...cuz u gotta go thru an interviewprocess for that and have at least 1 year on the field experience as a EMT.

I've been trying since 02, since i got out the military ..its BS process ...but if u get in its worth it i guess ...lucky i got a good job right now ...andi just renewal my EMT license ...just waiting like everyone else
grin.gif

Originally Posted by grusumm18

look at sunnyvale...
sunnyvale is pretty hard
fire/emt/cop

my brother is trying to get in right now, if he doesnt he's going to santa clara then if he can sunnyvale

where u planning to take ur paramedic schooling at bro? City college sf? if so...the waiting list is 1 year ..

Wow really? Well I'm about to enroll in the upcoming Fall for my EMT class at Los Medanos Community College in Pittsburg
so I still have a long way to go. I was thinking of enrolling in the paramedic school in SF since my goal is to work in SF as
a paramedic and a firefighter.

Back
Top Bottom