Any Bikers on NT? (Bicyclists)

I'm in the market for a road/racing bike.

Looking for a used one, probably from Craigslist, in the $150 range.

Thing is, I know nothinnnn about them...so I was wondering if there were certain things I should know about what to look for?...really any beginner info about bikes and such...

Thing is, I know nothinnnn about them...so I was wondering if there were certain things I should know about what to look for?...really any beginner info about bikes and such...

buddy of mine did that, got an old bike and fixed it up. Try going to a bike shop, they should have some good advice.

buddy of mine did that, got an old bike and fixed it up. Try going to a bike shop, they should have some good advice.

A $150 bike will probably need some work done. First, check to see if there are any dents.  Make sure the wheels are true and spin straight. Make sure the gears and chainrings don't look like sharks teeth (really pointy).
The brake and shifter cables/housing will probably have to replaced (cables are like $2). Tires and tubes might need to be replaced. 

Buy a helmet and tri-flow and you should be good to go. Probably won't be able to race on the bike though.

Also, check your local bike co-op (I really hate for-profit bike shops). They'll teach you about anything you want to know about bikes and you might be able to build one up for pretty cheap there. 

A $150 bike will probably need some work done. First, check to see if there are any dents.  Make sure the wheels are true and spin straight. Make sure the gears and chainrings don't look like sharks teeth (really pointy).
The brake and shifter cables/housing will probably have to replaced (cables are like $2). Tires and tubes might need to be replaced. 

Buy a helmet and tri-flow and you should be good to go. Probably won't be able to race on the bike though.

Also, check your local bike co-op (I really hate for-profit bike shops). They'll teach you about anything you want to know about bikes and you might be able to build one up for pretty cheap there. 

interesting, never knew about co-ops before...just found 2 in my area...thanks for that info and the rest of the info guys.

interesting, never knew about co-ops before...just found 2 in my area...thanks for that info and the rest of the info guys.

$200 wont get you much for a road bike.  A bike shop around my way is selling a used cervelo fixie for $400, at like 15-16LB which is a pretty good deal.

A good (brand new) entry level road bike will run you $800+.  If you're looking for all carbon it will usually run you 2k+.  I just got into cycling like 2 years and started off on a '82 shwinn road bike with friction shifters at 30LB, pretty heavy.  I then bought a trek 7.1fx, hybrid, $400.  Perfect for what I wanted to do. 
I'm now going to upgrad to a bianchi via nirone 7 sora.  Not the best components, but I might upgrade later.  It will do fine for semi long commutes.

I'm no expert... 

$200 wont get you much for a road bike.  A bike shop around my way is selling a used cervelo fixie for $400, at like 15-16LB which is a pretty good deal.

A good (brand new) entry level road bike will run you $800+.  If you're looking for all carbon it will usually run you 2k+.  I just got into cycling like 2 years and started off on a '82 shwinn road bike with friction shifters at 30LB, pretty heavy.  I then bought a trek 7.1fx, hybrid, $400.  Perfect for what I wanted to do. 
I'm now going to upgrad to a bianchi via nirone 7 sora.  Not the best components, but I might upgrade later.  It will do fine for semi long commutes.

I'm no expert... 

I started biking earlier this year. All my friend's ride fixies but I never got into it. I actually like coasting. Anyways I first started with a late 80s Raleigh USA Roadbike for $130. Over time I ended up putting money into it, and ended up spending a total for $210 - $220. Sold it on craigslist for $230, and ended up buying a 2004 Specialized Allez for $300 + $10 on a set of crank arms.
Not bad I think, bike riding is fun
happy.gif

Just recently bought some bike shorts today, no more sore area
sick.gif

I started biking earlier this year. All my friend's ride fixies but I never got into it. I actually like coasting. Anyways I first started with a late 80s Raleigh USA Roadbike for $130. Over time I ended up putting money into it, and ended up spending a total for $210 - $220. Sold it on craigslist for $230, and ended up buying a 2004 Specialized Allez for $300 + $10 on a set of crank arms.
Not bad I think, bike riding is fun
happy.gif

Just recently bought some bike shorts today, no more sore area
sick.gif

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

the size of the bike would be based on your height/inseam. so make sure you get the right size and not just grab whatever's in your price range. should be a size chart if u google it.

that's pretty much all i know since i'm a beginner as well. been looking at craigslist too for the same range you're looking at and i'm kind of on the fence if i should get my first fixie or another bike with gears.

and i bought the bike i'm riding at for $50 from my coworker. had my first flat like a month later and took it to a shop to get it fixed which cost about $50 after a new tube + tire + labor. since then i've had 2 more flats with just the tube but decided it'd be cheaper to just do it myself. so if you ever need to fix anything i suggest just buy the part first and try working on it yourself, you'll save some money that way. and i just went on youtube for instructions on how to change the tube and was pretty easy
laugh.gif

right now i'm planning to change the brake cable on my bike and also the lever since i lost something when i was taking it apart. hopefully the whole thing costs me under $20

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

the size of the bike would be based on your height/inseam. so make sure you get the right size and not just grab whatever's in your price range. should be a size chart if u google it.

that's pretty much all i know since i'm a beginner as well. been looking at craigslist too for the same range you're looking at and i'm kind of on the fence if i should get my first fixie or another bike with gears.

and i bought the bike i'm riding at for $50 from my coworker. had my first flat like a month later and took it to a shop to get it fixed which cost about $50 after a new tube + tire + labor. since then i've had 2 more flats with just the tube but decided it'd be cheaper to just do it myself. so if you ever need to fix anything i suggest just buy the part first and try working on it yourself, you'll save some money that way. and i just went on youtube for instructions on how to change the tube and was pretty easy
laugh.gif

right now i'm planning to change the brake cable on my bike and also the lever since i lost something when i was taking it apart. hopefully the whole thing costs me under $20

Back
Top Bottom