Any brehs on this Smart House Wave?

I always thought the Nest thermostat was neat. I'd like to install one in my home in the near future...Too lazy to do that in my apartment lol.

i live in an apt/condo building so i wouldnt even know where to look to turn off the furnace electricity switch. i guess i could just shut down my main to be 100% safe and do it during the day when i have natural light to work with?

or eff it, time to call the HVAC guy.
Lol yup call the HVAC.

1. So what are the flaws of Solar Powered Panels?

2. Also, can old homes be eligible for SOlar Panels?

3. So all I have to do is BUY the panels and I can cancel my electricity bill?

4. What if the sun isn't out? Is there less energy available in the winter months

Sorry for being so stupid and taking time to answer my questions

You can put solar panels on older homes as long as your roof is in good condition.

Majority of the solar panel installments tie into your existing electrical setup, not sure what state you live in but to my knowledge you have to get approval from your provider to even move ahead with solar.

To outright cancel your electric service you have to also have a battery storage setup to go with your solar panel array.
Depending on where you live you may even need a generator to subsidize electricity because yes in winter months and even during the year depending on how your roof(south facing) is your panels may not be as effective.

Last edited:
Ended up with a whole lot of random credit to Verizon. Trying to decide if I should blow it on a ipad or cop some smart home **** and be done with them.

Been considering copping a Nest for my crib but I'm not seeing as great a review as I would have hoped.

They also have this Canary indoor wireless security system which seems kinda cool.

Any bruhs got tips?

I just copped the Chamberlain MyQ Smart Garage opener for a great price on ebay $40.

It works pretty well, but the setup can be a pain connecting to your wifi.

My ecobee monthly stats came in for November and it looks like it is well on its way for paying for itself 
pimp.gif

I have had a down trend in energy usage since installing the ecobee went from 700kwh per month down to about 320kwh per month.

Yeah man...got the kick butt video screens and all that

Me and my boys getting down like

i'm straight. I don't want my house to keep track of how many breezeys I bring back or watch my stroke game and giving me a progress report at the end of the month.
hella old post but this is epic..lol you could have your IFTTT with an apple that scans womans faces and you could have a yearly analysis report.. which months were the best or worst with average duration and all..lol

Just got approval from my utility company for a rebate and the go-ahead from my HOA on a 5.0 kW solar system at my new place. It should cover 100% of my yearly usage. It's pretty much breaking even as far as what I am paying for the loan on it... instead of paying to the utility company. It's more about being as green as I can. 

Also, trying to decide between the Nest and the Ecobee3. I had a Nest in my first house and it was pretty nice, but I forgot to take it off when I was showing the home, so I had to leave it. 

I do like the fact the Ecobee has a remote sensor, but I don't like the look of a an iPad screen hanging on my wall.  As far as aesthetics go, nothing beats the Nest.  

Just got approval from my utility company for a rebate and the go-ahead from my HOA on a 5.0 kW solar system at my new place. It should cover 100% of my yearly usage. It's pretty much breaking even as far as what I am paying for the loan on it... instead of paying to the utility company. It's more about being as green as I can. 

Also, trying to decide between the Nest and the Ecobee3. I had a Nest in my first house and it was pretty nice, but I forgot to take it off when I was showing the home, so I had to leave it. 

I do like the fact the Ecobee has a remote sensor, but I don't like the look of a an iPad screen hanging on my wall.  As far as aesthetics go, nothing beats the Nest.  
Ecobee doesn't look like an ipad lol , its so small I have one looks fine to me.

Nest literally only has looks over the ecobee.

Functionality wise ecobee > nest and its not even close .

Ecobee doesn't look like an ipad lol , its so small I have one looks fine to me.
Nest literally only has looks over the ecobee.

Functionality wise ecobee > nest and its not even close .

I hate that nest doesnt work with apples homekit but I already have it so it is what it is.

I have a Wink hub with some lights hooked up to it and a few sensors on my doors and windows. I like it. Don't use it to turn lights on and off that much though. Its nice to be away from the house and turn the lights on though occasionally. I need to add some security cameras next.

My house is pretty smart. I have Control4 which I can control most everything through on my phone, design scenes which allow lights, tv, music to be turned on or off even at set times, and also have a couple Echo and Echo dots which add voice functionality. Works like this:

Back
Top Bottom