Any Golfers on NT?

Originally Posted by youngmoney

Driver: Titleist 907D 9.5*
3 wood: Taylormade R9 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 909 19*
Irons: Titleist 735 cm
Wedges: Titleist Vokey oil can spin milled 54 and 58 bent to 53 and 57
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 2

i am currently in the process of becoming a teaching professional at a golfers career college in orlando
Nice bag!

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Hahahaha i try and golf maybe once a week or once every two weeks. but its just too time consuming and expensive

My clubs stink. Hahaha I'm missing a 6 and 8 iron cuz they broke
frown.gif
and one of my driver heads flew off
smh.gif
so i'm a couple clubs short
laugh.gif

but still i have a blast everytime a play.

How are you guys able to keep up with the cost of the game?
If you're not trying to go out and play top level courses its actually not that bad. I typically play local muni's or other cheaperpublic tracks. 99% of the time I look for online discounted tee times on places like www.golfnow.com or www.discountteetimes.com which makes it much cheaper. I havent bought new gear in ages and most of the clubs in my bag(and the bag itself) i've had for well over 5 years. Hell, I've been playing the same irons for about 10 years now.

Nike Sasquatch Sumo Driver 10.5*
Snake Eyes fairway woods/hybrids 19* & 23*
Callaway X-12's
Cleveland 900 Gunmetal SW
Mizuno TP-Mills Putter

My putter is so beat to death but I just cant seem to part with it. I picked up a Bettinardi awhile back cause it looked and felt great on the practiceputting green inside the golf shop, but once I took it out I just couldnt figure it out. After 2 rounds I traded it to my buddy for some booze. I didnt carethat I lost a ton of money on that trade, I just wanted that damn thing out of my bag.

I wish I could play more, but I just dont have the time for it. I'll probably get about 10-15 rounds in a year, never go to the range so I never getbetter.

For me its more of an excuse to get outside and enjoy the nice weather, kick it with the boys, complain about the wives, drink beers, and then go out to dinnerafterwards (loser always buys.. keeps it interesting). side note: why is it that you are always famished after playing 18 even if you rode a cart all day? Iswear I can put down a whole cow after playing golf (but then again I'm just a hungry dude)

Originally Posted by auright

Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs

I love golfing. I'm what they call a club-ho. I love tinkering with new equipment so I trade often. Here's my current bag.

Driver: Callaway FT-9 Tour w/ Stiff Fujikura XCON (2 weeks old)
3Wood: King Cobra Hyper Steel w/ Stiff Aldila NV (2 months old)
Hybrid: Callaway Fusion 4h (2 months old)
Irons: Nike Victory Red Split Cavity Forged w/ Dynamic Gold stiff (a month old)
Wedges: Nike Forged 53 and Titleist Vokey 60 (3 or 4 years old....time to upgrade I guess
wink.gif
)
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 (4 years old...only way I'd ever trade this would maybe be for a tour version)

jrbnzs.jpg

2wd6ni1.jpg

jpy69j.jpg

ot2ih0.jpg

How do you like the VR split backs?

Loving them so far. I've only played 4 or 5 rounds with them. For the past 5-6 years I played Nike forged blades, but that was back when I was in highschool and was a much better ball striker with 5 handicap. Since I've graduated college, I don't play as much as I used to so I went with more of acavity for some forgiveness. The thing that won me over with the split cavities was the look of a blade at address (thin topline with minimal offset).Personally, I cannot stand wide soled offset cavity backs (like most callaway irons).

question?

how bad is golf on the knees? Ive had two knee surgeries and well i think it would be beneficial to never play ball again...Golf seems relaxing and if donecorrectly with proper form should be fun (difficult) and easier on my knees. what yall think. I golfe (hit a few balls back in the day) if that matters.

I wanna take up something other than biking :-(

Originally Posted by jthagreat

question?

how bad is golf on the knees? Ive had two knee surgeries and well i think it would be beneficial to never play ball again...Golf seems relaxing and if done correctly with proper form should be fun (difficult) and easier on my knees. what yall think. I golfe (hit a few balls back in the day) if that matters.

Pretty coincidental....the greatest player in the history of the game has had two knee surgeries. He still continues to play at what he describesas a "painless" high level. You could probably handle it too
wink.gif
All kidding aside, it would definitely be less stressful on your knees than basketball. Just hit up your local driving range, if you can withstand a largebucket of balls and have no pain then you should have no problem with a round of golf IMO.

haha i always make an appearance in the golf threads on NT. I love these threads. Ive been playing since I was about 11 and im about an 8 handicap as well. Icould be better but stopped once I got into college. I was that dude back on my high school golf team tho.
laugh.gif
Anyways heres my setup. I havent gotten new clubs in YEARS as you can tell, butI LOVE them. The G2 driver is probably my newest club I bought it off ebay a year or so ago for like 80 bucks. Before that I had a Titleist 975D 10.5 . I didntlike the ball flight as it would balloon way to much thus sacrificing distance, so I opted for the 8.5 G2 and the roll I get now adds about 25+ yards to mydrive. I know I know im left handed. Any other lefties out there?

img_0336971.jpg

Ping G2 Driver 8.5*
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood
Titleist 990 Irons
Titleist 5611pro forged wedge (came out right before Bob Vokey started designing at Titleist. Its like 15 years old. lol
Titleist 60* Vokey Wedge
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1 Putter

Anyone in Southern California play on the regular? Its always fun playing with new people and im always down for a group.

Originally Posted by AC4Three

Originally Posted by youngmoney

Driver: Titleist 907D 9.5*
3 wood: Taylormade R9 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 909 19*
Irons: Titleist 735 cm
Wedges: Titleist Vokey oil can spin milled 54 and 58 bent to 53 and 57
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 2

i am currently in the process of becoming a teaching professional at a golfers career college in orlando
Nice bag!

thank you sir.

and the thing is i got great deals on all of these clubs. Ebay is your friend

I don't play in Orlando too much. I've played eastwood a few times. I play in Tampa all the time.

Proshares, Douglaston has actually turned into a nice track since their renovation.

I'll be playing tomorrow morning. Havent played in a minute. Any casual players in the OC/LA area who play consistently holla! It's hard to find peopleto play with.

Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs

Originally Posted by jthagreat

question?

how bad is golf on the knees? Ive had two knee surgeries and well i think it would be beneficial to never play ball again...Golf seems relaxing and if done correctly with proper form should be fun (difficult) and easier on my knees. what yall think. I golfe (hit a few balls back in the day) if that matters.

Pretty coincidental....the greatest player in the history of the game has had two knee surgeries. He still continues to play at what he describes as a "painless" high level. You could probably handle it too
wink.gif
All kidding aside, it would definitely be less stressful on your knees than basketball. Just hit up your local driving range, if you can withstand a large bucket of balls and have no pain then you should have no problem with a round of golf IMO.

i almost mentioned tiger
laugh.gif
but didnt...

thanks tho

I seriously have no idea how to put together a bag.

I realize that at my stage, the types of clubs I use are inconsequential. But like everything I do, I like to get interested in something, spend way too muchmoney financing my equipment, and have at it.

But it definitely looks like you buy a set of irons, and essentially "Frankenstein" your way to a complete set of clubs based on your game.

The set I'm borrowing has a 4-PW (the brand escapes me, and I'm too lazy to go to the garage), an old Bazooka driver and putter. The fact that I haveno fairway woods or a 3 iron leaves this kind of gap distance-wise which I've been able to get away with so far since I've just used my 4 on my secondshots on par 4 and 5's. But as I start to refine my distance with each club, I can start to see there are some things missing in my bag.

I know I'll probably pick up the essential 3-wood, but what else are you guys using out there? You guys with hybrids, how is that fitting into your game?When do you find yourselves using them?

Any other tips on putting together a set? I can't lie an act like I know anything. I'm literally 2 months into it. I'm a hacker. I swing hardand I get really lucky. A lot.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

I know I'll probably pick up the essential 3-wood, but what else are you guys using out there? You guys with hybrids, how is that fitting into your game? When do you find yourselves using them?

Any other tips on putting together a set? I can't lie an act like I know anything. I'm literally 2 months into it. I'm a hacker. I swing hard and I get really lucky. A lot.

i was against hybrids like 2 years ago cause i thought it was just for girls. So i had a 2 iron which is very hard to hit. than i got a Titleist 19* hybrid andi love it. I like to use it off of the tee on a really tight hole that demands you find the fairway. If you are a average player i would definately recommend 2hybrids in your bag but that is just my opinion. As for a 3 wood, i have not found one that i like or have any confidence in. i never use it on the course,only on the range lol.

Tips on putting together a set: try and keep your lofts equal distances apart. for example you dont need a 7 wood and a 3 iron. those are about the samelofts.

go on ebay and get a set, you can find some for dirt cheap. And when i first started i had a bazooka driver too, and i actually liked it lol

Any other tips on putting together a set? I can't lie an act like I know anything. I'm literally 2 months into it. I'm a hacker. I swing hard and I get really lucky. A lot.

Maybe look for a hybrid 3 or 4 iron to fill that gap in your bag. They're easy to hit, so it's good for a beginner... but they're also the choiceof many pro's now, too so it's not like you will outgrow it or something as you improve.

It really doesn't matter to much the brand of clubs you get at this point either - what's more important I would say is getting them professionallyfit. That will do more good for your game than anything else you could do club-wise. Look for something with a decent amount of forgiveness in a nice cavityback, but really just find something that's comfortable to you and feels right.

As you start to improve, the thing you'll really probably want to get is nicer wedges and a putter. Those are the feel parts of the game that you canreally get into the nitty gritty with... i like cleveland wedges a lot, but titleist vokey's are popular, too. As for a putter, there's plenty ofopinions out there... a higher end popular putter are the odyssey's, but the putter of choice for most pro's nowadays seems to be the Scotty Camerons.

Really though - it's going to be a few years at the minimum until you're able to get out of these clubs what you're putting into them... so for nowjust see what fits you best.

anyone play in the bay area? im looking for groups to play with, new to the bay

WITB:
Taylormade Tour Burner TP 9.5
Mizuno F50 15*
Nike Ignite 19*H
Mizuno MP32 4-PW
Cleveland CG14 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2
Bridgestone B330-S

Originally Posted by Jeuce

haha i always make an appearance in the golf threads on NT. I love these threads. Ive been playing since I was about 11 and im about an 8 handicap as well. I could be better but stopped once I got into college. I was that dude back on my high school golf team tho.
laugh.gif
Anyways heres my setup. I havent gotten new clubs in YEARS as you can tell, but I LOVE them. The G2 driver is probably my newest club I bought it off ebay a year or so ago for like 80 bucks. Before that I had a Titleist 975D 10.5 . I didnt like the ball flight as it would balloon way to much thus sacrificing distance, so I opted for the 8.5 G2 and the roll I get now adds about 25+ yards to my drive. I know I know im left handed. Any other lefties out there?

img_0336971.jpg

Ping G2 Driver 8.5*
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood
Titleist 990 Irons
Titleist 5611pro forged wedge (came out right before Bob Vokey started designing at Titleist. Its like 15 years old. lol
Titleist 60* Vokey Wedge
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1 Putter

Anyone in Southern California play on the regular? Its always fun playing with new people and im always down for a group.
I'm a lefty as well. And like you, I've very comfortable with my clubs so I haven't changed things up in years...

Anyone rock with a Ping putter?

My family has one that's basically brand new and even if it sucks, would be quite the upgrade for what I currently have.

So I shot a 120 on Sunday, which is horrible to you guys, but it's still the best I've ever done on an 18.

It's also the first time in the four times I've played golf that if felt like I regressed from the last time I played.

My brother in law told me to stop being so hard on myself, but I can definitely see how frustrating it can get if you don't consistently improve.

The good news is that it was still fun, even though I was pissed at myself for playing so poorly.

It was also my first time playing with actual golf shoes, which caused all kinds of different things to happen with my swing.

I need some range time to straighten that all out.

So I shot a 120 on Sunday, which is horrible to you guys, but it's still the best I've ever done on an 18.

It's also the first time in the four times I've played golf that if felt like I regressed from the last time I played.

My brother in law told me to stop being so hard on myself, but I can definitely see how frustrating it can get if you don't consistently improve.

The good news is that it was still fun, even though I was pissed at myself for playing so poorly.

It was also my first time playing with actual golf shoes, which caused all kinds of different things to happen with my swing.

Good to see you enoying your time out there on the course. Golf shoes definitely help a lot, I just usually grab mine from the Nike outlets when I need a newpair. As far as going to the range, if possible try to go somewhere with real grass. The mats can really mess up your swing.

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

Good to see you enoying your time out there on the course. Golf shoes definitely help a lot, I just usually grab mine from the Nike outlets when I need a new pair. As far as going to the range, if possible try to go somewhere with real grass. The mats can really mess up your swing.

Yeah, there's definitely a difference. Fridays at my closest spot are when they move the walls from the cement to the grass at my local spot, but I rarelyget a chance to make it out on a Friday.

I picked up those 30 dollar Adidas shoes from RockBottomGolf.com They got a gang of cheap stuff out there.

My mum tells me all the time why don't you play Golf it's relaxing and injury free. I just laugh and say mum maybe one day.

Back
Top Bottom