Any Golfers on NT?

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

if your 120 is legitimate thats pretty good for starting a couple of months ago.
Yeah, it's a legit 120. My brother-in-law keeps telling me to tee-off again if I hit a bad shot off the tee since I'm just beginning. Imean, I can understand his logic. Getting as much course time as possible is good for me. Driving range practice will only do so much, ya know? But I reallywant to measure how good I'm doing by having accurate numbers at the end of the day.

I realize that it's a marathon, not a sprint. So, that's allowing me to just take it for what it is and still enjoy it as I start to improve.

I haven't gone crazy trying to by equipment yet, so I think I have my head on straight so far. Cross your fingers. A fat Filipino dude is coming to a golfcourse near you.

you'll get into double digits quickest by practicing from 50 yards and in about 4 times as much as you practice on the driving range.

it's not as flashy, and maybe not as fun to some people... but it's where you save holes and turn good rounds into great rounds.

it's also the last thing to come along in your game and the first thing to leave you, since it's mostly about feel and touch. getting to know your wayaround the green is the key though, figure out how to play every type of shot you could conceivably encounter.

there's all types of advice that can be given about chipping and putting - you could fill many books with great information about it, and someone probablyhas done it. pick up a few good things to try before you go out everytime, create a routine to practice the basics and then mix in the tips you want to try.

my recommendations to start with would be the bump and run chip, 3 foot putts, and i think lag putting is something that's important for beginners, too. ifyou can really get a good feel for those three things, you're going to be shaving strokes off like crazy i bet.

Alot of Bay Area people in here that golf. We should do a summit at the range or course one day.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

if your 120 is legitimate thats pretty good for starting a couple of months ago.
Yeah, it's a legit 120. My brother-in-law keeps telling me to tee-off again if I hit a bad shot off the tee since I'm just beginning. I mean, I can understand his logic. Getting as much course time as possible is good for me. Driving range practice will only do so much, ya know? But I really want to measure how good I'm doing by having accurate numbers at the end of the day.

I realize that it's a marathon, not a sprint. So, that's allowing me to just take it for what it is and still enjoy it as I start to improve.

I haven't gone crazy trying to by equipment yet, so I think I have my head on straight so far. Cross your fingers. A fat Filipino dude is coming to a golf course near you.
i do that with one of my friends too. ill tell him to hit another ball all the time, but i always make him pick those shots up and only count thefirst one. its good practice. one thing you should do is to buy a usga rule book and read it over. its not too big. it will help give you a betterunderstanding, seems like a lot of people dont know the rules these days.

like craftsy says, practice your short game. most beginners have a lot of trouble with controlling their speed on the greens and hitting flush chip shots. imnot sure which wedges you use but its good to practice a lot with all of them. again i agree with craftsy with regards to the bump and run. easier to hit andmore practial than trying to learn flop shots now. if you can learn to control the spin and speed of those it will help you greatly. it also gives you morepractice reading greens.

dont worry about expensive clubs, especially irons. you can use old or new ones as long as they feel good. go with a hybrid for sure. it took me years to buyone because i was too stubborn to try one. once i started having less time to practice i decided to swap one in and now i love it. get a 3 wood and a hybridand you wont have to worry about a 3 or 4 iron in your bag depending on the loft. go try out putters too man, it will surprise you how different they feeldepending on the style. with the drivers, there is too much for me to even keep up with. im using a 3 year old driver now and it works just fine. for me itsabout finding one that suits your trajectory. i hit the ball really high and a member on here helped me find a driver that keeps the ball from ballooning.these companies will put new drivers out every 6-8 months now just to try and get your money.

Great info and pics guys. I just started getting into golf about 3 weeks ago at my local (not so local) driving range.

I started on my friend's 8 iron, and I'm slowly working my way towards the 3 wood and the longer clubs but I'm having a real hard time adjusting myswing.

I just got back from my first "short game" session practicing chipping and putting but I've still got a long way to go. Definitely looking to buya set of entry level, beater clubs to take to the course. I'm going to a 9 hole par 3 course this weekend... it'll be my first time.

Here's a video of my swing, it's gotten a lot better but I still have problems moving my body during the unwind. A lot of youtube and mirror practicewent into this... be easy.

http://www.facebook.com/v/303662400334http://www.facebook.com/v/303662400334 http://www.facebook.com/v/303662400334http://www.facebook.com/v/303662400334

Sorry about the buzzing noise... it's the stadium lights in the background.
http://www.facebook.com/v/303662400334http://www.facebook.com/v/303662400334

Yeah, it's a legit 120. My brother-in-law keeps telling me to tee-off again if I hit a bad shot off the tee since I'm just beginning. I mean, I can understand his logic. Getting as much course time as possible is good for me. Driving range practice will only do so much, ya know? But I really want to measure how good I'm doing by having accurate numbers at the end of the day.

I haven't gone crazy trying to by equipment yet, so I think I have my head on straight so far. Cross your fingers. A fat Filipino dude is coming to a golf course near you.
i do that with one of my friends too. ill tell him to hit another ball all the time, but i always make him pick those shots up and only count the first one. its good practice. one thing you should do is to buy a usga rule book and read it over. its not too big. it will help give you a better understanding, seems like a lot of people dont know the rules these days.

like craftsy says, practice your short game. most beginners have a lot of trouble with controlling their speed on the greens and hitting flush chip shots. im not sure which wedges you use but its good to practice a lot with all of them. again i agree with craftsy with regards to the bump and run. easier to hit and more practial than trying to learn flop shots now. if you can learn to control the spin and speed of those it will help you greatly. it also gives you more practice reading greens.

dont worry about expensive clubs, especially irons. you can use old or new ones as long as they feel good. go with a hybrid for sure. it took me years to buy one because i was too stubborn to try one. once i started having less time to practice i decided to swap one in and now i love it. get a 3 wood and a hybrid and you wont have to worry about a 3 or 4 iron in your bag depending on the loft. go try out putters too man, it will surprise you how different they feel depending on the style. with the drivers, there is too much for me to even keep up with. im using a 3 year old driver now and it works just fine. for me its about finding one that suits your trajectory. i hit the ball really high and a member on here helped me find a driver that keeps the ball from ballooning. these companies will put new drivers out every 6-8 months now just to try and get your money.
laugh.gif
man I'm just like you with the hybrid and I'mstill too stubborn to buy one. I'm still frustrated at the fact that after all these years I can't hit my 3 or 4 iron consistently. For my driverI'm hitting the ball pretty well. I'm getting decent distance(250 yds on average) and it's going pretty straight. I have a taylormade superquad r79.5 loft stiff flex btw. Also bastich don't worry about hitting the ball far or crushing it. On a par 5 regardless of how you hit you're still goingto need at least 2 strokes to reach green. I see too many people at the range just trying to slug the ball as far as they can and it doesn't helpanything.

Originally Posted by HUSTLIN ON YOU

I'm down for Bay Area golf summit
I'd be down.

I've only started making a serious effort only a few months ago. Still need to work on my swing. Everytime I use the driver, it hella slices to the right.I saw this at Sports Authority http://tinyurl.com/yj56tza. Doesthis actually help with your swing?

I would rather spend money on a lesson from a pro than a "trainer club". If you're slicing, often, then you have a problem in your mechanics.

I'm actually interested in getting a lesson or two.

Any you can refer to me in our area?

I suck at Golf, but I'm down for a Bay Area golf summit. I've only been playing for a few months, but I've gone through like 3 sets of clubs anddrivers. I should be spending my money on lessons...but I'm stubborn.

My Bag:
Taylormade R7 Limited 9.5
Taylormade 3wood with an Aldila NV green shaft
Taylormade R9 5wood
Taylormade 4 Hybrid
Taylormade Burner Plus 5-PW
Titleist Vokey 52* 56* 60* wedges
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Scotty Cameron Studio Select 3.5

I also have a set of some Wilson Clubs that I bought at Target that we use as a spare bag.

Where do you guys usually play? I've been to most of the courses in Napa, Brentwood, Antioch, Vallejo, and a couple in Fairfield and Vacaville.

I basically stayed out in Concord and Martinez this year because they were cheap, fast and close by.

I've been to Franklin Canyon between Martinez and Hercules and that was decent. I did think some of the par 4's were kind of short, and I almost drovethe green on a few holes. How's Buchanan? I drive by there 4 times a week, but I've never had a chance to check it out. I always thought it was a par 3course, but I may have to give it a try this week.

I did a quick 9 at Pine Meadows on Saturday. Shot a 50, which is 9 strokes better than the very first time I played when I went there in early September.

So in about 2 months, that's Pine Meadows twice, once at Davis Public, once at Rancho Solano, and once at Buchanan.

I've made a promise to myself to get out to play a 9 or hit the range at least once a week, just to keep my swing even remotely consistent.

LazyJ10 is probably going to contradict me, but Pine Meadows is just greener than Buchanan was when I went there last month. Buchanan is a little flat , butthat makes it easy to walk. To me, Pine Meadows is not as busy as Buchanan, greener, has more interesting terrain, etc. Plus, between the 7th and 8th holes,you walk through the parking lot, which is perfect if you have beer or what not in the trunk. But I'm sure I'll be at Buchanan again sometime in thenext month, weather permitting. It's pretty cheap there, too.

How's Franklin Canyon? I see on Yelp some people just crushing it, and it's possibly pricey. If I'm going to spend money like that I might as wellgo to Rancho Solano. That's still the best place I've played so far. It was the only place I've played and felt like I was rich.
laugh.gif

Naw Franklin Canyon isn't too bad from what I remember. It's an easy course, and it's like $35 to with a cart for twilight after 12pm. The onlysketchy part was the 18th hole that had a "water hazard" that looked like a toxic waste spill. I'm not too picky about where I play, though.Hell, I've even played at the racetrack in the Vallejo fairgrounds like 4 times
laugh.gif
. That place is ghetto as hell and the owner is an old butthole but it's decent if you just want to practice instead of just hitting the range.

I've been wanting to go to Rancho Solano for a while now, but I heard it was pretty expensive and at the time I was afraid to play around houses. Sincethen I've played in Brentwood (Shadow Lakes and Deer Ridge) and I'm used to houses now...plus I've fixed my slice.

The nicest courses I've played so far are Eagle Vines and Chardonnay off of Jameson Canyon. Chardonnay is more challenging and slightly greener, butit's kind of dull. Eagle Vines is more scenic and fun unless it's hella windy. You should also look into Paradise in Fairfield by the air base.It's real nice and actually kind of easy. If you have a bad slice/hook that's the place to go because the fairways are wide as hell. Oh, and GPS cartsare dope, too.

Blue Rock in Vallejo off of Columbus is nice too, just make sure you play on the good side. They have an East and a West course, and one of them, I can'tremember which, really fell off within the last few months.

I'm going to play Eagle Vines on Wednesday and I'll check out Buchanan on Thursday.

Here are my clubs BTW...

2m66a03.jpg

2425vf7.jpg

Naw Franklin Canyon isn't too bad from what I remember. It's an easy course, and it's like $35 to with a cart for twilight after 12pm. The onlysketchy part was the 18th hole that had a "water hazard" that looked like a toxic waste spill. I'm not too picky about where I play, though.Hell, I've even played at the racetrack in the Vallejo fairgrounds like 4 times
laugh.gif
. That place is ghetto as hell and the owner is an old butthole but it's decent if you just want to practice instead of just hitting the range.

I've been wanting to go to Rancho Solano for a while now, but I heard it was pretty expensive and at the time I was afraid to play around houses. Sincethen I've played in Brentwood (Shadow Lakes and Deer Ridge) and I'm used to houses now...plus I've fixed my slice.

The nicest courses I've played so far are Eagle Vines and Chardonnay off of Jameson Canyon. Chardonnay is more challenging and slightly greener, butit's kind of dull. Eagle Vines is more scenic and fun unless it's hella windy. You should also look into Paradise in Fairfield by the air base.It's real nice and actually kind of easy. If you have a bad slice/hook that's the place to go because the fairways are wide as hell. Oh, and GPS cartsare dope, too.

Blue Rock in Vallejo off of Columbus is nice too, just make sure you play on the good side. They have an East and a West course, and one of them, I can'tremember which, really fell off within the last few months.

I'm going to play Eagle Vines on Wednesday and I'll check out Buchanan on Thursday.

Here are my clubs BTW...

2m66a03.jpg

2425vf7.jpg

any suggestions on where to get used golf balls for cheap?...esp considering most of my shots will probably end up in the woods or the water

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

any suggestions on where to get used golf balls for cheap?...esp considering most of my shots will probably end up in the woods or the water
I've never bought any used balls online, but sometimes I find some decent deals at Target and Wal-Mart. Last week I found a box of Nike OneBlack/Platinum/Tour, and a box of Srixons with a few Z-Stars for $6 each at Target.

I did a quick 9 at Pine Meadows on Saturday. Shot a 50, which is 9 strokes better than the very first time I played when I went there in early September.

So in about 2 months, that's Pine Meadows twice, once at Davis Public, once at Rancho Solano, and once at Buchanan.

I've made a promise to myself to get out to play a 9 or hit the range at least once a week, just to keep my swing even remotely consistent.

LazyJ10 is probably going to contradict me, but Pine Meadows is just greener than Buchanan was when I went there last month. Buchanan is a little flat , but that makes it easy to walk. To me, Pine Meadows is not as busy as Buchanan, greener, has more interesting terrain, etc. Plus, between the 7th and 8th holes, you walk through the parking lot, which is perfect if you have beer or what not in the trunk. But I'm sure I'll be at Buchanan again sometime in the next month, weather permitting. It's pretty cheap there, too.
Franklin, from what my friends and mom say, isn't that bad. Not sure the cost, though. Give it a shot, go at least once, you know? I livenear Boundry Oaks and the other one I'm at a loss of its name, but haven't been there in days. Boundry isn't terrible, slightly different.

I think Pine Meadows got a lot better after the rains came, for sure. However, I'm still willing to bet that the "rough" to the right on 3 islike white/cement/gray and hard as hell. Almost got a hole in one on 5 I think? The one before the water hole.

Buchannon is fast and a bit longer so I can actually use some woods on it. That's what I do like about it. Pine Ghetto is like the same price unless yougo twilight and the dude who answers the phone kills me. Least the morning guy.

Bas, PM me...I suck at golf but I'm down to go with whomever. Typically I carry the tall cans in my bag instead of the trunk of my car. I don't carewhat the signs say, after the 2nd hole at PG you're golden. After the first tee at Buchanon you're fine because the Camera is in the tree above thetee box.

man, i wished i lived in warm climate all year round

everything is already pretty much closed around here because the ground is apparently too hard
frown.gif

anyone play virtual? i tag along with my dad and his friends every other weekend during the winter. nothing beats the real deal but it passes the time untilthe snow melts

Craigslist and ranges. Just get some old range balls. There are some good ones at good courses at least. I used to work at a country club back in the day,and I have a surplus of golf balls to which I haven't purchased one in years.

just buy a bucket at the range and walk off with it
laugh.gif

you can buy used balls on ebay for pretty good prices. or just go to a golf store and buy those 18 packs of top flites or whatever they sell for cheap. ebay isprobably cheaper though.

I got in a round of 18 at Cherry Island in Sac yesterday. It's a beautiful course, but boy, can you lose some balls there. I lost more balls there than Ihave all my other times combined.

I shot a 123, which normally I'd say is bad. But considering the number of drops I had to take and the overall difficulty of the course, I really feelgood.

It's scary was some confidence and do for you out there. I'm not just trying to hang with the guys I play with, I'm trying to beat them.

I think I need some new people to play with, though. I can't keep waiting for my brother-in-law to be able to play before I play. Do any of you squeezein some play by yourselves?

Do any of you squeeze in some play by yourselves?
always except not lately. i love to go get some alone time on the course and put the ipod in.

except do it late afternoon or when its not busy otherwise youll have to get paired up with someone and youll be refered to as golf guy

Back
Top Bottom